Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Clipless pedals/Wonky Feet

I recently bought clipless pedals and shoes to match however while ive been out riding ive been getting a pain in my left knee. Ive noticed that when i am not cliped in my left foot is quite far forward and the toe points outwards. do i adjust the cleats so that my foot is in this position when i clip in or do i adjust so my foot is straight and get used to it? will the pain ease ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

neilwheel | 14 years ago
0 likes

The reason I ask is that it sounds like your cleats are loose. Cleat misalignment will be more apparent on the side that sees more action, i.e. the side you clip in and out of when approaching traffic lights, etc.

Re-align the cleats and get some quality allen keys to torque up the fixing screws. Those fixing screws are prone to loosening off after a few rides. It's normal; the fixings/cleats compress the sole, leading to a slack fit.

neilwheel | 14 years ago
0 likes

do you clip out on the left-hand side first?
What type of pedals do you use?

keithjohnwallace replied to neilwheel | 14 years ago
0 likes

hi neilwheel im using a pair of shimano m324 simply to have one side to clip in and one side to use with normal shoes, ive not really developed a method of which side to clip out of first but i think it may be the right leg..

purplecup | 14 years ago
0 likes

if you're getting pain then yes, your foot is probably being held in the wrong position. the first thing to try is exactly what you've suggested: adjust the cleat so that your foot position is about the same as it would be when you're not clipped in.

it's possible you could 'train' your leg to adopt a straight position but depends on whether it's just a muscle imbalance or something more structural.

keithjohnwallace replied to purplecup | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that, any tips or just trial and error ?

Latest Comments