Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Nice cantis with adjusters at Eurobike / Interbike

I seem to remember seeing some pictures of new cantilever brakes from one of the trade shows recently covered on road.cc which had some adjusters built in, but I can't find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Doh, you're right Stato - misread the post

VecchioJo | 14 years ago
0 likes

the amount of adjustment you get with these really isn't that great, enough to compensate for a wearing brake pad but certainly not enough to noticeably affect the mechanical advantage of the brake IMO

cat1commuter replied to VecchioJo | 14 years ago
0 likes
VecchioJo wrote:

the amount of adjustment you get with these really isn't that great, enough to compensate for a wearing brake pad but certainly not enough to noticeably affect the mechanical advantage of the brake IMO

OK, I agree. You convinced me that this isn't a must have feature. Have ordered Avid Shorty-6. I liked the low profile design. Now all I need is the frame to attach them to...

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Ah, yes, thanks, that's the photo I saw.

Actually, it would be nice to have adjusters on both the straddle and main cables. Shortening the straddle cable increases mechanical advantage, but decreases rim clearance. It must be nice to be able to fine tune this without undoing a hex bolt and inching the cable back and forth.

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

ah yes, very nice, but as you say very easy to replicate

VecchioJo | 14 years ago
0 likes

the picture you saw on here was probably the brake on the fancy Colnago CX bike, this one in fact...

//farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3900426555_c313b153a2.jpg)

i can't remember what brakes were on it, they may have even been custom bodged, which isn't too hard with some Frogleggs, a cable-adjuster and a tool for drilling and threading apparently.

the cantis that i know of with the built-in adjusters that you can buy off the shelf are the more spendy of the TRPs and the Kore Race+ brakes (the Kores came on my Major One, and they're really rather good brakes actually, but hard to track down to buy separately), although to be honest it's just as easy to put an in-line cable adjuster somewhere on the brake cable, and it's cheaper, if not as cool.

0 likes

Oh, yes the TRP Eurox Magnesium brakes do have a built in straddle cable adjuster, but white and gold just isn't me!

0 likes

I think I found them. Avid Shorty Ultimates - but they're not yet in production.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

yeah, the Eurox Mag callipers have a hanger that's got a built-in adjuster. but the ones cat1 is talking about, i think, have an adjuster on one of the arms. knackered if i can remember who makes them though. need to ask VecchioJo, he'll know. Jo?

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

nice try Tony but isnt that a caliper not a canti?

I think the only Canti (with a built in adjuster) you can get right now are the super expensive TRP ones. However i think your right in suggesting there may have been another one shown recently, just cant think where.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes
dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

grrrrr - i remember them too but can't for the life of me think who was doing them  14

Latest Comments