Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ebay is a weird place for sure!

Hi All,
not much interest here on RCC, so I put my new Planet X Pro-Carbon frameset on eBay, I've had some genuine 'cyclist' questions,,,,, and some right weird ones.

Here are some of the weird ones.  102
Q - 'Will this frame fit my Wife'?....... A - How big is she. - Reply - 'She's not big, quite fit actually'......
Q - 'Will the wheels I bought fit this frame, they were from a larger frame size than yours'?......
Q - 'I think most of the parts from my Boardman TC will fit this frame, if I transfer them over would this bike be faster than the Boardman'?.......
Here's the really good one,
Q - 'I don't buy anything without trying it out first. I would like you to send me the frame and I will try it out, if I like it then I will make an offer. This OK?.........

I'm not trying to knock people trying to get a deal, but is this the norm.....?  37

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

comm88 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think it's brilliant!! I love it!!

What you should do now is monetise it - sweep eBay for all the daft questions and turn them into an ebook and/or get it published - it'll be great seller, I'm sure!

Who wouldn't smile at this:

Q - 'Will this frame fit my Wife'?....... A - How big is she. - Reply - 'She's not big, quite fit actually'...

It's totally brilliant!!!

This one could run and run - like Colemanballs did for a few years!

And the Darwin Awards that are eagerly enjoyed every year!!!

For example:

In 2008 while driving home from (and the irony doesn’t escape me) a memorial service, a Bulgarian biology teacher and the two people riding in her car suddenly and inexplicably stopped in the road and leapt from the vehicle.

Apparently the teacher has some potentially noxious chemicals in her car and lacking a chemical sink and any semblance of good sense, began pouring them down the drain in the manhole cover. The resulting chemical reaction was an explosion so powerful the manhole cover flew straight up and decapitated the teacher.

You can do so much with people's "innocent stupidity" in ways that make us all laugh out loud.

Go on - do it!!!

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was once contacted by a prospective buyer regarding an advert I had submitted to a local 'yellow paper' Buy and Sell rag...
Him: " Well mate, I'm calling about the flux capacitor you have for sale"
Me: "How can I help you?"
Him: " How many giga watts is it?"
Me: " It's 1.1 giga watts"
Him: " Ah mate I'm looking for 1.21 giga watts, that's no use to me...oh well cheers!"...
and then he burst out laughing and thanked me for brightening his day...
...then there was the novelty inflatable furniture that I was also offering including armchair, sofa, table lamp and ashtray....

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

"She's not big, she's quite fit actually" That's brilliant! I only got into ebay recently, but did have one guy kick off because the speaker stands he bought had been stood in the loft and needed a good cleaning. (He picked them up in person, so he did see them!)

I'm about to auction a Rapha softshell jacket, be interesting to see how much that goes for.

bigshape replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

"She's not big, she's quite fit actually"

ask him to send a photo?  21

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough the better the description the less questions you get. But I have had weirdos in the past; I just don't reply and block them from bidding if I don't fancy dealing with them. Bad grammar tells me a lot about a buyer.

KirinChris replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Funnily enough the better the description the less questions you get. But I have had weirdos in the past; I just don't reply and block them from bidding if I don't fancy dealing with them. Bad grammar tells me a lot about a buyer.

"Less questions".

Keep working on that grammar campaign.  3

Welsh boy replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Funnily enough the better the description the less questions you get. .... Bad grammar tells me a lot about a buyer.

Be careful when you pick fault with other people's grammar, make sure you know how to use less and fewer correctly before you do!

notfastenough replied to Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:
bikeboy76 wrote:

Funnily enough the better the description the less questions you get. .... Bad grammar tells me a lot about a buyer.

Be careful when you pick fault with other people's grammar, make sure you know how to use less and fewer correctly before you do!

I know what you're saying, but think its missing the point. Bikeboy is referring to the idiots thus:

Do u no if ur jacket is waterprof i dont want to get wet innit lol

Godammit I've just had to pollute my phones dictionary to prevent autocorrect from intervening and let me type that sh*t...

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

I sold a 15 year old Ridgeback hybrid and got no questions.

What surprised me was how much the winning bid was plus the fact that the buyer had a 240 mile round trip to collect the bike.

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

When I sold my Pro Carbon last month I had question after question, and then I eventually got a really good price so it was all worth it.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep you certainly get some weird and wonderful ones. My best ever was when i was selling a Pirelli tyre for my old XR2 and the question was "will it come inflated".  24

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I never normally get questions on ebay and the only things I ask are normally about postage because alot of the items I look at are collection only.

Latest Comments