Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike boxes suggestions?

I bought a carbon frame recently and thinking of exchanging my softbag for a hard case for flying. I also want to be able to squeeze in a 29er mtb (not at the same time!) and am after some suggestions.

Weight is an issue, a couple I have looked at are 13k+ and the 'bikeboxalan' item is 11 kilos though £400 and the Polaris is £240 and 7 kilos. Is the Polaris bikepod strong enough to cope with our untamed baggage handlers?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

godihatehills | 14 years ago
0 likes

cool- do i take it this is sold then? Ive got a guy on bike radar who is also keen so need to let him know.

do you want to punt me an email nathanblissisat [at] gmail.com

antonyr5 replied to godihatehills | 14 years ago
0 likes

Just mailed you

0 likes

Im up the road in northants, so could get the train to kings cross, so 25 quid?

antonyr5 replied to godihatehills | 14 years ago
0 likes

If still available I'd be interested as off to France in teh summer. I'm in Reading so should be able to pick up easily.

step-hent | 14 years ago
0 likes

How much (approx) for postage to London? I'm doing a big ride in Sweden this year and need a box...

0 likes

sorry to Hijack but I actually have one for sale - its in mint condition and only used twice to help a friend emmigrate.
its one of these- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Roof_Box_Bike_Safe_Bike_Box/5300002583/
it has an internal frame to hold everything in place and ensures things dont shift or scratch during transit- lockable, trolley wheels, very strong.
£100+ postage?

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

Dasy, thanks for advice. I live in Derby and can view one locally as Polaris are not that far away from me (about 30 miles). It is real world use I am after.

Jon - I did ask a mate about this and his 13.5kg box and he said that in the small print (of Easyjet) it does say you can net off your luggage. So, If your bike box weighs in at 25kg as long as your case weighs less then 15kg you are ok. Not sure I want to trust to this though - especially with Ryanair.

Transatlantic flights usually just specify 2 bags so not a problem - not sure about flying to DUbai / Singapore though.

Think I will get a bike pod when they are back in stock.

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Interested to read this thread as I am on the lookout for one to take my tri bike in to races abroad. I have heard horror stories of the soft cases being driven over by baggage trucks when housing carbon bikes etc.

Bikebox alan boxes were tempting me but the weight really does ramp up the excess charges...especially on ryanair where they clobber you.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I believe it would, it took my XL Look 555 road bike which is a bit of a gate; MTB's tend to be smaller framed, so once the clothes prop of a seat-post is taken out they usually pack down fairly small.

Depending where you are, you would be welcome to come by and test it out. I live near Reading.

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Dasy. The bike pods are out of stock at the moment but I am tempted. I use plenty of bubble wrap usually.

Will it take a large tubed mtb?

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I am notoriously anal about my bikes well-being, and I use a Polaris Bikepod.

It has survived unscathed from several trips abroad. I do still wrap the bike in about an acre of bubble wrap before putting it in the bikepod, but the case is tough and light enough to get around at airports.

I have no need for anything else, it has survived Ryan Air, BA's baggage handlers so far...long may it continue!

Latest Comments