Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour de Pologne

I have never watched this race. Usually I'm taking a break from cycling, on holiday or whatever. Is it usually any good? I've had a look at the profiles and there seems to be one crazy stage (the penultimate one), another standard high mountain stage, an ITT and the rest largely flat-to-punchy.

Apart from the aforementioned crazy stage, I can't much that makes me think 'yeah, I'll try to catch a bit of that'. What is the atmosphere like? Should it be a WT race (the number of really good Polish riders at the moment suggest that maybe it should)?

Oh yeah, and when does it open!?  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well that's put a few potential GC contenders out already including my £2.50 EW bet on Siutsou.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm impressed enrique.

Nil point.

Sprint stage.

A team full of sprinters.

Lol.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well I'm 13th with 75 points so it should be easy to climb.

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

To be fair to enrique I 'Zeroed' as well with my purists although they only exist to try and get FSUCI ranking pts on stages 5/6/7

Twybaydos replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

I'm impressed enrique.

Nil point.

Sprint stage.

Lol.

Ovechkin and Hansen are more TT riders in fairness.

enrique replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

I'm impressed enrique.

Nil point.

Sprint stage.

Lol.

F*%&#@g awesome, wasn't it?...  45 Sometimes I wonder why I bother to even put a team together. Might as well have started the competition on Stage 2... I hate this game... sometimes...  45

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some massive losers today, Swift 11 mins down, Aru 10+ and Matthews nearly 8.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

1,5,14 for me

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

2,5,6,14 so far. I think a few of the big sprinters took the day off today

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's not going to be a very high scoring stage!

debbieg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Think that was Mezgec into the barriers in the final sprint  2
Win for AG2R

debbieg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Amazing weather conditions in Poland - the hailstorm was spectacular - viewing on Eurosport and there's been lots of crashes so far due to fallen trees and debris in the road !

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Armee and Bonifazio have abandoned already

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Standard - Taking a lay against Swift, Modolo and Thor

Matthews, Lobato, Haller, Mezgec, Maes, Bos, Dabkowski, Maikin, Guarneri

Purist - no idea, maes and guarneri out for Jungels and Cunego. Cunego can't flat TT, this is silly.

Bum - Barry Markus started for Belkin instead on Graeme Brown, Plugge will lose patience with Bos after the first two stages and set the team up for Barry.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree. It doesn't make any sense to do scores on intermediate sprints. It is confusing and is pure luck.

ray silvester replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Agree. It doesn't make any sense to do scores on intermediate sprints. It is confusing and is pure luck.

Any more luck involved than picking someone in the break?......because that's what it will reward....those who pick the breakaway riders(e.g the wildcard polish riders!!) consistently?

enrique replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

... It doesn't make any sense to do scores on intermediate sprints...

ray silvester wrote:

Any more luck involved than picking someone in the break?...

Just so we're clear, I'm not against scoring the IMS jersey at all, no, no, no... I just wish it didn't come at the expense of scoring the 'true' Points jersey... I'm ok with scoring with both... I just wish we didn't 'ignore' the 'true' Points jersey at will or at the game manager's discretion when the 'Points' jersey is awarded by the race organizers, there's a trip to the Podium invloved and I consider it a prestigious jersey to earn and wear... Why should it be 'ignored' by the game at the game manager's discretion?...  39 I think it's prudent to score it and then, at the game manager's discretion, add the IMS jersey if it's offered... I see it as a way of being consistent throughout all competitions...  39

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

What does this mean?

Points jersey scored will be the Lotto Most Active Rider (intermediate sprint points)

If the points jersey is only based on intermediate sprint points then it is a complete lotto.

enrique replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

... Points jersey scored will be the Lotto Most Active Rider (intermediate sprint points)...

Is there a 'true' Points jersey in the competition?  39 ... If there is, why can't we just stick to scoring that?.... I think we should always (!) honor the 'true' Points jersey in the game, maybe we can add the IMS Jersey if it's offered, but I think we should make it a rule to always award points for the true 'Points' jersey, not ignore it... It is a trip to the Podium and probably a more prestigious, if you will, jersey to have on your shoulders, I guess it's a matter of opinion, but can we go back to always scoring the 'true' Points jersey for every race?...  39 I think it's a good practice... And it seems fair to me... By the way, does the Vuelta have a Young Rider classification?...  39

ray silvester replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Joelsim wrote:

... Points jersey scored will be the Lotto Most Active Rider (intermediate sprint points)...

Is there a 'true' Points jersey in the competition?  39 ... If there is, why can't we just stick to scoring that?.... I think we should always (!) honor the 'true' Points jersey in the game, maybe we can add the IMS Jersey if it's offered, but I think we should make it a rule to always award points for the true 'Points' jersey, not ignore it... It is a trip to the Podium and probably a more prestigious, if you will, jersey to have on your shoulders, I guess it's a matter of opinion, but can we go back to always scoring the 'true' Points jersey for every race?...  39 I think it's a good practice... And it seems fair to me... By the way, does the Vuelta have a Young Rider classification?...  39

Indeed it does enrique.....I think Chris Horner won it last year  21

In all seriousness though they don't have a youth classification

They have Red Jersey for GC,Green for points,Blue & White polka dot for mountains.

There a white jersey for the 'combined' jersey where all of your rankings in each of the three competitions(GC,Points,KOM)are added and the lowest total wins with the proviso that you have a ranking in all 3 competitions.

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Similar from me for standard

Modolo
Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matthews
Gatto
Silvestre
Matysiak
Vakoc

Much bigger difference for purist

Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matysiak
Majka
Capecchi
Poels
Zakarin
Hansen

Joelsim replied to TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Similar from me for standard

Modolo
Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matthews
Gatto
Silvestre
Matysiak
Vakoc

Much bigger difference for purist

Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matysiak
Majka
Capecchi
Poels
Zakarin
Hansen

I think Cannondale said Boivin was their sprinter for this race.

Let's hope so  21

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

And my Purist team. Ahem, 9 sprinters.

Luka Mezgec (GSH)
Tyler Farrar (GRS)
Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Fabio Silvestre (TFR)
Konrad Dabkowski (POL)
Theo Bos (BLK)
Marco Haller (KAT)
Jacopo Guarnieri (AST)
Juan Jose Lobato (MOV)

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Here's my team for the day. Hopefully few changes before the Queen stage. 9 sprinters.

Sacha Modolo (LAM)
Luka Mezgec (GSH)
Yauheni Hutarovich (ALM)
Marco Haller (KAT)
Theo Bos (BLK)
Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Fabio Silvestre (TFR)
Juan Jose Lobato (MOV)
Konrad Dabkowski (POL)

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe.

The summit finish only looks like 5% average for 12km, not totally sure there will be massive time gaps, and Majka will need to take some time there to protect himself on stage 7. Poels could go well for sure.

ray silvester replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Maybe.

The summit finish only looks like 5% average for 12km, not totally sure there will be massive time gaps, and Majka will need to take some time there to protect himself on stage 7. Poels could go well for sure.

Majka may be on a victory tour after the TDF....look at the last 2 winners for the sort of race it is(Moser and Weening).

My standard team has a nice little Scandinavian flavour

Hansen
Hushovd
EBH
Moser
Bos
Hutarovich
Matthews
Gasparotto
Fernandez

My Purist has even more Vikings and is based on perhaps trying to nick a Forum Scorum stage win on the climb or TT stage

Hansen
EBH
Nordhaug
Hushovd
Sammy Sanchez
Jungels
Henao
Hesjedal
Franczak

0 likes

Poels is my big tip though

0 likes

For me Cummings and Weening have decent shots. I think if Majka is up to it, his TTing has improved enough to win this. Izagirre/Capecchi will both go well, and De Gendt has a shot if he has his climbing legs, id say the same for Riblon but he has been out of sorts. Aru and Hesjedal could also do something

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Looks to me like the best TTer on the last stage will win this one unless one of the lesser TTers manages to take an awful lot of time on stage 5.

To my mind that leaves Cataldo, Izaguirre, Siutsou, De Gendt, Formolo and even Malori as the favourites.

Dux89 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Saw a lot of cheap sprinters and got pretty excited but then I saw the budget. Wowzers. Tough decisions to be made here.

Pages

Latest Comments