Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Some tyre help/advice please.

Hello all.I ride mainly mtb's and dont know a lot about road bikes so im asking advice from you lot,the experts.

The story goes...

Ive recently took delivery of a custom made fixed wheel frame.When i ordered it i asked for the seat stay bridge to be a close fit against a 700 by 23 tyre.Now that the bike is built up,ive got what i asked for.There is litterally 1mm clearence between the two,a little too close for my liking.Ive currently got some schwalbe ultremo 23 tyres on,my question is,is there a tyre out there with a more shallow side wall to give me a couple more millimetres clearence?

Thanks for your help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

witty.name | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for your help.In the meantime ive dropped the tyre pressure to 100psi and ive now got about 2mm clearance.Woo hoo!

Getting a 20mm tyre is a great idea,ill order one straight after xmas.The half link idea wont work as the sliding dropouts slide uphill as you move the wheel backwards if you know what i mean therefore keeping the same clearance.

Thanks again,off to look at veloflex tyres  1

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Vorsprung - Right there is the answer!

vorsprung | 14 years ago
0 likes

get a half link and move the wheel back a bit

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

This is from the CTC website - That initial two-digit number is the tyre section and roughly indicates the tyre width. Its actual width is normally less, but varies according to how the tyre is designed and the width of rim to which it is fitted. But the height of the tyre usually corresponds quite closely to tyre section, so overall diameter approximately equals the bead diameter plus twice the section.

I think the only real option is to choose a tyre with a smaller section, either a 21mm or 20mm. Veloflex do some really nice tyres in 20mm and 22mm, check out Probikekit

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

Salsa Delgado rims are nice and wide too, not sure if anyone's bringing them in though. Velocity do some wider ones too, same problem with getting them over here

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I don't think they do the HED Ardennes in a track hub option though. You may be able to get the rim separately and get it built up.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

another (admittedly expensive) option is to swap the wheels out for something with a wider rim, like the HED Ardennes. That'll flatten the profile of a 23 by a couple of mm. bit of an outlay just for more tyre clearance though!

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

ooh, don't know. ultremos aren't that big for 23s so i'm not sure you'd find a smaller 23. the conti force comes in a 22, technically it's a front tyre but you could run it on the back, it's a softer compound so it won't last as long but other than that it should be fine?

Latest Comments