Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Halfords have bought Boardman Bikes

Interesting move, I wonder if we'll start seeing the Elite range in Halfords ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

@nwardill - so it sounds like, rather than halfords cannibalising the brand, halfords directors have simply recognised that the cycling market is worth the effort. The choices they then have are to effect a massive cultural and perception change towards the halfords brand (which they might be doing anyway, it would take time), buy another retailer (not viable, the other chains are only a step or two up from Halfords in terms of reputation, and a corporate like this isn't going to buy a dozen different independent bike shops), or buy a bike manufacturer. And whaddaya know, they have an existing relationship with a particular one. Starts to make sense now.

nwardill | 9 years ago
0 likes

the elite series will not be sold through halfords, basically selling what they do now

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

On Loctite, they do sell it, red and blue.

And Halfords have effectively pigeonholed the bikes, the Carrera was always an entry level proper bike as distinct from the Apollo 'toys'

OldRidgeback replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

On Loctite, they do sell it, red and blue.

And Halfords have effectively pigeonholed the bikes, the Carrera was always an entry level proper bike as distinct from the Apollo 'toys'

My Carrera MTB wasn't bad at all - basic but decent quality - I'd have another Carrera bike. Halfords will pitch the Boardman range above that as the premium brand.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd imagine there's a business development plan in there. Chris Boardman is a man not short on ambition, drive or scruples, so there's no reason this can't be a good thing for the brand (plenty of reasons why it can't, too, but there we go).

Meaulnes | 9 years ago
0 likes
colinth | 9 years ago
0 likes

The performance series have always been sold exclusively through Halfords. The Elite series are sold through various independents

I can't see them moving the elite range exclusively to Halfords as well but would expect the to see them stocking some of the elite models. The existing management are staying place at Boardman including CB

Big retailer investing more in cycling, all good news from what I can see

oozaveared | 9 years ago
0 likes

Boardman bikes were always built to a price. Nothing wrong with that especially when the cycle to work schemes set a price. It's made the £500 - £1000 bike market very competitive.

I always thought it was a mistake being exclusively bound to Halfords. Good for Halfords though. Gives them a shot at credibility.

Good for Chris B. I hope he made a few bob. I wonder what he'll be up to next?

Gkam84 replied to oozaveared | 9 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

Boardman bikes were always built to a price. Nothing wrong with that especially when the cycle to work schemes set a price. It's made the £500 - £1000 bike market very competitive.

I always thought it was a mistake being exclusively bound to Halfords. Good for Halfords though. Gives them a shot at credibility.

Good for Chris B. I hope he made a few bob. I wonder what he'll be up to next?

They were never exclusively bound to Halfords. I suspect they will be now though. Downhill slope

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wasn't aware myself that Boardmans were sold outside of Halfords before now, always assumed it was an in-house (or at least exclusive) brand to them. They don't really float my boat anyway, can't really put my finger on why.

I'm in the "cut Halfords some slack" camp too though. No doubt a subject with lots of anecdotal evidence, but I've always found the guys in my local store to be helpful as far a technical advice is concerned, if usually very busy.

Besides, I tend to just use click and collect anyway. They give the likes of Wiggle and Chain Reaction a good run for their money on pricing too, particularly with the frequent online discounts which you can still use even when collecting and paying in-store. It's mostly all on next day collection too, so no need to wait around for the postman.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Interesting, because recently I've noticed a couple of "real" bike shops starting to stock Boardmans. I wonder if those retailers had any inkling about this?

workhard | 9 years ago
0 likes

Carreras are perfectly fine bikes and good vfm.

Why don't we cut Halfords some slack and wait and see what they do with the brand before rushing, lemming-like, to judgement.

PaulBox replied to workhard | 9 years ago
0 likes
workhard wrote:

Why don't we cut Halfords some slack and wait and see what they do with the brand before rushing, lemming-like, to judgement.

Was stripping down a rebuilding a mountain bike (Yeti SB-66) on Sunday, popped in to my local Halfords which is mainly bikes nowadays, to get some Loctite. Not only did they not have any, the bike mechanic type people didn't even know what it was...

workhard replied to PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes
PaulBox wrote:
workhard wrote:

Was stripping down a rebuilding a mountain bike (Yeti SB-66) on Sunday, popped in to my local Halfords which is mainly bikes nowadays, to get some Loctite. Not only did they not have any, the bike mechanic type people didn't even know what it was...

Neither do my three LBS's; they all told me to go to Robert Dyas.

MKultra replied to PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes
PaulBox wrote:
workhard wrote:

Did you try the motor parts section as they do indeed sell loctite...

indyjukebox replied to PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes
PaulBox wrote:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=loctite...

Which loctite would you like?

To be fair to them, they are open when most other so called perfect shops are closed. And the prices are fair. And you can reserve and collect with minimum hassle.

Their advanced range of tools are excellent and good value for money.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a feeling that my Boardman CX TEAM would be my last Boardman purchase. This news confirms it.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ch-ching, so Chris won't be short of a few pennies. I bet he don't give a f*** about Dre.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

They will just kill the brand and make it another Apollo style bike.

I guess they will cut ties with other outlets like Wiggle and small bike shops that stock Boardmans

colinth replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

They will just kill the brand and make it another Apollo style bike.

I guess they will cut ties with other outlets like Wiggle and small bike shops that stock Boardmans

So that they can do what ? Compete with the Apollo brand ? What's your logic behind that ?

They've been selling successfully for several years and typically sell out of most models, if anything they'll invest more in the production so that they can carry more stock. The key thing will be if they think they can sell the top end bikes without offering bike fits, more experienced staff etc

Latest Comments