Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice on climbing bike 5k-6k

Got my eye on this http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2014/road/izalco-max/izalco-max-1... izalco max 1.0 with dura ace di2 in compact gearing, not sure about the wheels? Any thoughts on them? I've got a spare set of dura ace c24's to put on anyway, seems decent value bike, what alternatives should I be considering?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

chrisp1973 | 9 years ago
0 likes

For some reason I'm reminded of time in the playground......can't quite put my finger on it......?

edd23 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I reckon if I was spending that sort of cash would look seriously at the R5.

I have the R3 and it is a fantastic bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEbh6BRcKw&feature=player_embedded

Hope the link works as review of R5 by Marcel Wüst...

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Interesting, thanks for that info, I'm not sure what to make of the cervelo r5, needs an immediate wheel upgrade for sure, just out of curiosity what height etc are you for the 54cm? I'm really keen to get the weight down, never tried tubulars, may get them for the izalco, I'm not so sure spending over £5k gets you any VIP treatment, no red carpet or champagne unfortunately  2

I've not sure heavier riders feel much difference but I can from an 8kg ish bike to 6.5kg.

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cervelo R5 Dura-Ace. With a little haggling with the LBS I'm sure a wheel upgrade could get in your 6k budget too. The DI2 model is just outside your budget, but my experience with bikes at this level is that a good LBS will be open to a little haggling, the DI2 model is probably doable.

You'll comfortably be able to sit below the UCI 6.8kg mark with either of these bikes, and the door is open for "5kg madness" in the future. The Cannondale Supersix Evo might be a little lighter in the frame, but you have to make do with external routing. The Cervelo is much more future proof in this regard.

I'm riding the previous gen Cervelo R5 VWD in a 54cm and have a mechanical dura ace build at 6.4kgs without doing anything too outrageous (Still riding clinchers as well). Sub 6 would definitely be doable if you're prepared to go tubular and fit some exotic parts (Ted Ciamillo and Lightweights....)

As for the Canyon, they look brilliant, but if you're spending that kind of cash you'll get pretty epic treatment from your local bike shop, and you'll have helped a local business too. Canyon on the other hand will never have any idea who you are, or care for that matter.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

An aero frame is typically heavier, with the emphasis on the relative bit here. For the kind of money we're talking about, you'll still be able to build one to 6.8kg or thereabouts, so I don't see weight playing a part unless you've some sort of 5kg madness in mind.

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

That a seriously nice bike the Felt, I've never given an aero type bike much consideration to be honest due to being a featherweight climber build with very little power, there BIG hills by the way! I may buy an additional aero bike and take flatter routes eventually.

What I'm really keen to know is if anyone owns an 11sp di2 or mechanical what does your granny ring cog sound like in the small ring??? I had clicking, scraping, clunking even in the next cog down, suppose I could just wet lube a kmc chain up and put headphones in.

chrisp1973 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure where you get the "heavy aero bike" idea from, I've got a Felt AR5 and it's light, stiff as hell with a non-compact chainset and it's a joy to climb with, not to mention a joy to ride on the flat.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Which hills are you climbing?

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Old cynic, you don't have to 'ride' back down you can freewheel if you like, I don't want the extra weight of an aero bike climbing huge hills in compact gearing, should I change my gearing over for the trip back down the hill also (side splitting funny)

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm.
Call me an old cynic, but I suspect that the qualities you are describing are not ones that anyone can accurately determine.

I asked about swapping over because to get to the climbs, you have to ride there, and once up, you have to ride down again. Spending 5-6k on a bike should really get you something that does all that. The combination of the cost and the question leads me further into cynicism...

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd guess it's a super-lightweight, stiff bike - as opposed to an aero bike which may be a little heavier, possibly a little less stiff in order to soak up the roads for long stints with your head down.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

What's the difference between a 'climbing' bike and any other bike? Do you swap over at the top?

chiv30 replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

What's the difference between a 'climbing' bike and any other bike? Do you swap over at the top?

Hahaha loved it

However if I had 6k to spend on a climbing bike it would have something called the combustion engine  36

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've test ridden the new ultegra di2, dura ace mechanical, dura ace di2, personally I found it extremely noisy especially in the granny gear when climbing in the small ring, truly awful sounding) chain slipping, not shifting, I'm just hoping it was poor initial setups but I've got my doubts drivetrain noise wise. What's that Teflon plate all about on the inside cage of mechanical dura ace?

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know what your saying about cervelo's, although they are closely linked to focus now I understand? My LBS can provide a bike fit, test ride, very helpful. I'm just concerned about getting this new 11sp setup initially because I had lots of issues with various BMC team machines I've tried. Not sure if it was the semi compact 52/36 after using compact. I've not heard much about the Focus Izalco Max in reviews only seen 2 and they weren't saying much really.

It's got to be di2, I can't put up with chain rub, self trimming, cable stretch etc, plus rapid constant multi shifting is really satisfying, and once that new garmin edge 1000 is plugged in!  1

0 likes

Well in that case, go right ahead!!

I think I see it as being that simple because it's essentially the same approach as is necessary in my work - people think that I make lots of decisions, but in reality I just try to understand all the constraints really well and the solution kind of picks itself (albeit only to a certain extent). The problem, of course, and indeed the strength of a forum, is that unless you've tried every component going, you don't necessarly know what your preferences are. If you're spending that kind of cash though, do you have a relationship with the shop such that they will let you take out some of the higher end stuff for extended test rides?

Now if I just hadn't got married and had these pesky babies, I'd probably be buying the same kind of bikes...

Where are you anyway? Did you see that thread on De Ver bikes? Strikes me that this kind of money could buy you anything you wanted at their prices.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

My "climbing" bike is a fixed.

SamShaw | 9 years ago
0 likes

My LBS stocks Parlee http://www.velocity44.com/products.php?plid=m20b93s6p3819&tbv=PARLEE_Z5i... and if I was spending that much on a bike, I'd seriously consider something quite niche. I'd also look at Cervélo's (having a soft spot for them) but by they're becoming more ubiquitous these days (probably due to the aforementioned LBS also being a stockist!  4 ) The Focus is by all accounts absolutely stunning to ride.

1. What's on offer at your local shop.
2. Can you get a proper bike fit there to determine if the bike will fit.
3. Are you going to be happy with it long term.

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

No offence taken but yes I'm genuinely doing this, tried many different bikes recently, not impressed with 11sp or any mechanical setups after using ultegra 10sp di2 for a long time. It's not as simple as your making out, I suppose I'd like to try buying a frame and choosing my own components but I'd never make my mind up!

I'm not judging people who spend under £1,000 on a bike, there is plenty of choice for them, loads of different reviews, upgrade potential. Sorry but I'm just seeking some thoughts/opinions/advice on dura ace di2 11sp in particular. I know a few people who have bought a bike and are unhappy with it for various reasons, sizing etc, I'm just trying to make sure that's not me.

0 likes

Don't take this the wrong way, but wasn't it you that posted recently having gone from Ultregra Di2 to Dura-Ace mechanical, then bought Di2 again? And now you're looking at this? Don't misunderstand me, if you've got the cash, you spend it how you want and don't let anyone tell you different (and what lovely things to spend it on!  4 ), but are you geniunely doing this?

I suppose the reason I ask is that while it's entirely reasonable to see many "what bike for a grand?" threads, I'd expect someone who is in the market for something like this to understand their requirements and preferences to such a degree that the bike will pick them rather than the other way round. (e.g. My intended style of riding + required geometry + preferred materials/components etc, + nice paintjob = bike x).

Apologies if I've mistaken you for someone else, or similarly, if I've been presumptious about your method of buying bikes.

Al'76 replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but wasn't it you that posted recently having gone from Ultregra Di2 to Dura-Ace mechanical, then bought Di2 again? And now you're looking at this? Don't misunderstand me, if you've got the cash, you spend it how you want and don't let anyone tell you different (and what lovely things to spend it on!  4 ), but are you geniunely doing this?

I suppose the reason I ask is that while it's entirely reasonable to see many "what bike for a grand?" threads, I'd expect someone who is in the market for something like this to understand their requirements and preferences to such a degree that the bike will pick them rather than the other way round. (e.g. My intended style of riding + required geometry + preferred materials/components etc, + nice paintjob = bike x).

Apologies if I've mistaken you for someone else, or similarly, if I've been presumptious about your method of buying bikes.

Kinda what I was thinking....

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't buy a bike in a box again, already had my fingers burnt with the SRAM hydraulic brake fiasco, shame because it seems a fantastic bike, I thinks the focus is still slightly cheaper with di2 bought through a proper local shop, already had a test of the izalco with SRAM red 22 and its awesome

Latest Comments