Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X

HI all,

does anyone own planet X bikes??

what do you think of them??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

evilsovereign | 10 years ago
0 likes

I recently sold my bianchi and bought a pro carbon, it is fab. the country road on my commute, is a bit naff, but this makes the ride nicer.
it's a really nice platform to start on, especially if you can get it on the cycle to work scheme. mine was ex-demo, so I got it cheaper, and there was a nice upgrade to ultegra chainset and callipers. now that I've sold my 29er mtb. I plan on some nice carbon bars, and decent wheels.  36

BigAl68 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Enjoy your bike.

ilovemytinbred | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have had a couple of their Ti bikes, and they are great value. One of them was my first road bike and has done 10s of thousands of miles. It still looks great and anyone who rides it agrees it is pretty awesome. They don't use the same frame builder anymore but their latest versions still look pretty tidy and last time I looked they were super cheap.

colinth | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had a N2A which was superb, now have the cross bike, XLS. Great bike, amazing value, arrived when they said it would, perfectly set up.They can be a bit slow sometime responding to queries etc but the bikes are great

BigAl68 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the rt58 in black and planet x were great as when I ordered my bike the ultegra group went out of stock and when it came back in a week late there was an issue with the crank. They then upgraded the crank to the sl-k EVO carbon as an apology for the delay.

The bike rides and handles beautifully and has knocked 10 minutes off my 18 mile commute to work. Thinking of upgrading the wheels at some point but otherwise it was a bargain and looks great in the matt black with the very subtle logos which does get you a second look when passing people as they aren't too sure what you are riding. Can't recommend them enough even if there supply chain can be a bit slow at times.

Jimbonic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep, got a Pro Carbon SRAM Rival build. Super!

Firstly, I'm not the best bike reviewer in the world - not had that many bikes. So, feel free to add a pinch or two of salt to this...

It's not as stiff and sharp handling as the Cannondale R2000Si I had previously. But, then, I could only ride that for about 2 hours before I was in so much agony I would have rather been stabbed slowly in the eye with a rusty spoon! The Pro Carbon has seen me to the end of 6 or 7 hour rides with hardly any discomfort at all. It's like an armchair after jumping off my fixie.

It's light enough for me - climbs OK. It's well built. I've only had it two years, but nothing has gone wrong or started to annoy me.

It could probably do with a wheel upgrade. But, with Fortezza Superlites (my only change to the out-of-the-box spec), I have had no handling issues, even when accidentally slinging it into a corner on the insane side of way too fast.

My suggestion? Buy one

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a pro carbon SRAM rival, with force brakes. It's stiff, but not as stiff as some much more expensive bikes, a little on the harsh side in terms of ride, but not unpleasant. Very light and the upgraded brakes are fantastic, it handles like a dream IMO

Cantab | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just ordered my Pro Carbon Ultegra yesterday, should arrive by the end of next week, so I'll let you know then...
I couldn't find a truly negative review though, and on paper a full carbon frame with FSA Team 30 wheels and most of an Ultegra groupset for a cool grand is a whole lot of value as far as road bikes go!

pauldmorgan | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had a Ti Sportive SRAM Force Build, PX Model C wheels. A really lovely bike which I still miss.

It arrived well set up and I got good service from them in the shop (I went to have a test ride and a basic fitting).

I've also had a Kaffenback which I built up myself. Nice frame if a little on the heavy side.

I would buy from them again.

gmac101 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have an On-One Pompetamine Alfine - It's a great commuter but it didn't arrive set up very well.
It was fitted with deep rims but the inner tubes only had standard length valves - lord knows how they inflated the tyres before they despatched it.
I specced a KMZ single speed chain that should come with a link that you can separate to let you take the wheel out but when they fitted the chain they removed the split link and fitted the wheel at the inner limit of the drop outs so you couldn't fit mudguards. I ended up having to buy another chain.

Nothing major but very annoying at the time!

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

had a nanolight ... absolutely ace  1

Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am in the process of building an RT58 with Campagnolo chorus, will weigh around 7.2 kg once complete.
This obviously does not help in terms of riding quality I know, but build quality is fantastic and I have friends who love their SL pro's and on ones.
I am sure I will do some sort of a review when I have been able to get out on it when its finished!
If your looking at buying one, I say go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed

Harryb2996 replied to Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gareth W-R wrote:

I am in the process of building an RT58 with Campagnolo chorus, will weigh around 7.2 kg once complete.
This obviously does not help in terms of riding quality I know, but build quality is fantastic and I have friends who love their SL pro's and on ones.
I am sure I will do some sort of a review when I have been able to get out on it when its finished!
If your looking at buying one, I say go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed

Cheers! i haven't found a bad review about planet X bikes yet! i'm looking at the RT-58 with its full 11spd Ultegra group set. Wheels aren't too bad either (FSA Team 30 Wheelset) for the money (£1399).
The best thing about it is the matt black paint job - so simple, but yet so effective.
Will have to order me one V.soon i think.
Will have a noticeable difference from my current bike! can't wait!!!  4  4

Gareth W-R replied to Harryb2996 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Harryb2996 wrote:
Gareth W-R wrote:

Cheers! i haven't found a bad review about planet X bikes yet! i'm looking at the RT-58 with its full 11spd Ultegra group set. Wheels aren't too bad either (FSA Team 30 Wheelset) for the money (£1399).
The best thing about it is the matt black paint job - so simple, but yet so effective.
Will have to order me one V.soon i think.
Will have a noticeable difference from my current bike! can't wait!!!  4  4

Do it, I literally finished the build today, will upload a PIC to readers rides in a moment, matt black is awesome but seems to get dirty dead easy! Going to take her out on weds will let you know what its like. Its dead light though, 7kg dead on with pedals!

BigAl68 replied to Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes

Would love to see the finished bike. I agree the matt black gets dirty quickly but it cleans up a treat and no need to polish it. Mine got a clean today as neglected it since Friday but looking great and I am sure it will be covered again after tomorrows 20 miles to work

Harryb2996 replied to Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bottled it at the last minute and forked out for a Boardman Pro Carbon SLR which set me back a lil' bit more however is better specced and has a better frame. Also has Ultegra wheels and hubs which you don't often see.
Not too shabby. Will upload a picture in the near future.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got an SL Pro too. About to be demoted to second/winter bike, but it's pretty ace. Found it a lot more precise than my old Condor Baracchi, and it's definitely better than my Trek 5400. Agree that there might be a bit of flex in and around the BB, but overall for the price it's great.

Yorkshie Whippet | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 with the comments above. Really good value starter. Love mine and can not get around to retiring it for the second time. Much prefer the SL Pro to the RT-57.

matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had an SL pro carbon, nice and light, cheap and cheerful, a bit vague steering at speed and a bit flexy around the bottom bracket, but a great first carbon bike at a price that's hard to beat.

Latest Comments