Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should I double-wrap my bars?

Had my road bike for nearly a year and I still get sore hands after a while riding, so I got some gel-tape.

I was pondering sticking it over the top of my existing tape for extra cushioning. My hands are also enormous (most xxl gloves are too small) and I was thinking it may improve ergonomics in that area too.

Is this normal practice, or will I just end up wasting my shiny new tape?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Bretagne | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi - as fringe says, your position may need tweaking a little. I chnaged my pos' on the road bike this year as i was getting backache after 2/3 hours. I also double taped the bars & what a difference! I just double taped the "flats" top section of the bars & fitted some gel under the tape just behind the brake levers (Campag) - with a slight tilt to the saddle it was like riding a different bike. M

Hibbs | 14 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, double post. And it wasn't really very funny first time.

Hibbs | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hibbs | 14 years ago
0 likes

Really? Honestly.. what's the point in turning yourself into a twig if you then double wrap your bars? There must be at least, what, 40 seconds up Ventoux there? There's your podium right there, Bradley. Tsk.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Bradley Wiggins double-wraps his bars, so you definitely should.

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

How about getting some of the gel pads that go under the tape as well or are you already using these?

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

may be a bit obvious but have you thought about changing your position on the bike?. it could be that you are just to far forward on the bars and need to reposition yourself, so as to balance the weight evenly between saddle and bars...worth a try before you start double wrapping everything.  39

sponging-machine | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hadn't thought about degreasing the existing tape, so a top-tip there. Many thanks.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

I often double wrap my bars cause i've got hands like spades too. never did me any harm. my one proviso would be that on some ergo bars with big flat sections on the top, two layers of tape can make the tops too big even for my paws.

give your current tape a really good clean and degrease it too if you can, cause all those oils off your hands will stop the new tape sticking so well

Latest Comments