Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

UCI four year ban for doping

I remember reading that the UCI were going to increase the standard competition ban for a doping offence from two years to four this year. Anyone know what happened?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

when you think about it this bit is funny though…

"[if} it is established that aggravating circumstances are present which justify the imposition of a period of Ineligibility greater than the standard sanction, then the period of Ineligibility otherwise applicable shall be
increased up to a maximum of four (4) years"

The doping rules are vast (and no I didn't read 'em all) but "aggravating circumstances" would seem to be a rider aggravating the UCI by claiming he's innocent when they know they've got him bang to rights.

Meanwhile… hot from the UCI website

"UCI President attends Caribbean Elite Road Race Championships"

it's a tough job… B)

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Wow, you read some UCI regulations. Bet it was fun finding that!

Tony knows them off by heart, he's like a left-leaning cycling norris mcwhirter.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

And it also sounds like it is entirely optional to have it increased to four years. I find that a bit disappointing. I think a default ban of four years would be much more of a deterrent. Two years could be a bit of a sabbatical, but four taken away from the peak of a career could consign a rider to obscurity.

(Wow, you read some UCI regulations. Bet it was fun finding that!)

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

From the UCI Anti-doping Rules

"Aggravating Circumstances

305. If in an individual case involving an anti-doping rule violation other than a violation under article 21.7
(Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking) or article 21.8 (Administration or Attempted Administration) it is established that aggravating circumstances are present which justify the imposition of a period of Ineligibility greater than the standard sanction, then the period of Ineligibility otherwise applicable shall be
increased up to a maximum of four (4) years unless the License-Holder can prove to the comfortable satisfaction of the hearing panel that he did not knowingly commit the anti-doping rule violation.

A License-Holder can avoid the application of this article by admitting the anti-doping rule violation as asserted promptly after being confronted with the anti-doping rule violation by an Anti-Doping Organisation."

So, if you fess up it's two years

Latest Comments