Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

105 5700 + FSA crankset, can I swap FSA for 105 R7000 or need to settle for 5800?

Hi all,

I have a Mango Point R with a groupset made up of 105 5700 rear derailleur, shifters and 12-28t cassette but an FSA Vero 50/34 crankset. Full specs at the end.

I'm having constant issues with the left crank arm coming loose and I'd quite like to complete the 105 set anyway by replacing the FSA Vero cranks for the 105 equivalents.

Things have moved on from the 5700 that was available when I got the bike so what are my options?

Should I look for the 5800 generation or can I go straight to R7000? I read somewhere I might need to change the front derailleur and shifters for compatibility if I did that.

The bottom bracket is a square taper, which BB will I need for the 105 crankset? Does it change depending on 5800 vs R7000?

Thanks,

Weight: 9.76kg / 21.25lb
Frame: 6061 aerospace grade alloy
Fork: Carbon bladed with mudguard mounts
Groupset: Shimano 105 5700 (10 SPD) shifters, derailleurs and Shimano CS4600 chain; FSA Vero crankset
Bottom bracket: square taper
Gear ratios: 12-28t, 50/34
Brakes: Tektro R315 Alloy Dual Pivot
Wheels: Vision Team 30
Tyres: Continental Gatorskin 25mm
Bar: Chasewood Team S Compact 420mm
Stem: Chasewood Team S 80mm
Seatpost: Chasewood Team S Forged Alloy 27.2mm
Saddle: Mango Bikes Upgrade Black cro-mo rails

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
1 like
fukawitribe replied to wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
0 likes

Aye, should be but as that article says, the results for 10-speed chain with 11-speed chainrings are 'variable' (which might be taking into account FD pull or not, doesn't say).

quiff | 3 years ago
1 like

I have a 5800 groupset. I needed new chainrings and, as I've managed to rub the the paint off the cranks with overshoes, I looked into changing the whole crankset. My LBS couldn't get me a 5800 crankset, and told me that swapping it for 7000 would require a new front mech too. If there are compatability issues between 5800 and 7000 then I expect the switch from 5700 to 7000 will be tricky.    

Podc | 3 years ago
1 like

An 11 speed crankset will work just fine with a 10 speed set up. I am currently running similar.

Assuming your bottom bracket is 68mm BSA thread, a Hollowtech II bottom bracket bearing set should screw straight in. 

fukawitribe replied to Podc | 3 years ago
1 like

They can do, and sometimes yes - but not great, e.g. they can sometimes be more prone to chain wedge between the chainrings, or shift wrinkles, as the separation is wider on the 11-speed crankset, as with SRAM. I've had no issue with Shimano and FSA mixed but MMV.

That said, can often work just fine as yours does and plenty of choice of 10-speed chainsets to choose.. nice new GRX doubles are pretty well priced.

Podc replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

I thought it was the other way round - 10 speed chainset with 11 speed chain was more prone to chain wedge.

Thanks for the advice 👍🏻

fukawitribe replied to Podc | 3 years ago
1 like

10 speed chain is wider, so if there was a 11-speed chainset with a really tight gap between the rings then I guess you could get grief there - but it's not in the same tolerance regime as with 10-speed chain/11-speed cassette. SRAM actually increased the gap between the rings on the 11-speed chainset and specifically warn against using it in a 10-speed drivechain for that reason.

Podc replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks again.

For the benefit of the OP, I am currently using a 5800 chainset with 4700 series Tiagra and was using it with 4600 previously.

spj7 replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

fukawitribe wrote:

10 speed chain is wider, so if there was a 11-speed chainset with a really tight gap between the rings then I guess you could get grief there - but it's not in the same tolerance regime as with 10-speed chain/11-speed cassette. SRAM actually increased the gap between the rings on the 11-speed chainset and specifically warn against using it in a 10-speed drivechain for that reason.

I run Tiagra 4700 with both 5800 and Quarq 11spd chainsets and have never had this happen in like 30,000km. Maybe it can happen but the risk may not be big enough to not give it a try.

check12 | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd get in touch with mango to find what bottom bracket you need, just tell them you want to swap to a Shimano crank and what Shimano crank will work hollowtech I or II ? 

trainingpartner | 3 years ago
1 like

R7000 doesn't come in 10 speed so everything will need to be changed. With that said, fitting a 5700 chainset would work fine with the below approach.

Theoretically you could fit the cups of a RS500 Bottome bracket and fit any of the new shimano cranks from 5700 onwards up to R7000 and be fine but 11speed stuff wont work with the 10speed stuff. 

spj7 replied to trainingpartner | 3 years ago
2 likes

You definitely won't need to change everything.

Latest Comments