Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

10 Speed Chain ring on an 11 speed System

Would there be any issues using a 10 speed Crank set/chain rings in an 11 speed system? Specially a Shimano Ultegra 6700 (50-34) crank set with a 6800 shifter,  6800 deraileurs , 11 speed chain and 11 speed cassette?

I'm upgrading one of my bikes to Di2 and want to reuse the mechanical set to upgrade an older 10 speed bike. (I prefer not to change the front crank and chain rings if possible).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Vic B.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

clayfit | 3 years ago
0 likes

I use a 10sp crankset on an 11sp drivetrain. Works fine. The bike was set up initially for an 11sp crankset and I didn't even have to adjust the Di2 front mech when putting the 10sp crankset on. 

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yep, used numerous 10 speed chainsets with everything else 11 speed and also vice versa.

No problems.

vicbrincat | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you  all  for your quick responses. Very much appreciated.

Good info to have about mixing and matching cranks.

Vic B.

VeloUSA replied to vicbrincat | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you can tolerate the constant clicking.clacking of the 10sp chain smacking your 11sp cogs.

vicbrincat replied to VeloUSA | 3 years ago
0 likes

I will in fact be using an 11 speed chain. The only compenent that wont be "11 speed" is the 6700 crank and chain rings.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

No issues at all.   Currently running 10sp Tiagra rings on 6800 cranks and 5800 mechs.  Rings dont fit as nicely as they did on the Tiagra cranks but got there after a bit of encouragement.

kil0ran | 3 years ago
1 like

No issues at all for standard road chainsets. The only place it gets slightly less compatible is MTB 1x systems.

I've run 11sp cranks with everything else 10sp for years - mainly because I had a 5800 chainset kicking around - at last count that's been off and on 5 different bikes which have been a mix of 10sp, 9sp, and even 8sp now on my pub bike.

fukawitribe replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Similar here but other way round - run two different 10sp cranksets with 6800 groupset for a few years now, no issues.

Richard1982 | 3 years ago
1 like

That'll work fine, there's no difference in chainring width between the two systems.

Latest Comments