Home
Road crime "isn't taken seriously" says British Cycling policy advisor...

 

A year after Chris Boardman’s mother was killed by a van driver while riding her bike, the former world and Olympic champion turned cycling campaigner has said that the justice system is failing cyclists and their families.

> Tributes paid after Chris Boardman's mother killed cycling

The British Cycling police advisor prefaced a message posted on Twitter on Friday by saying:  "Getting so many messages from road crime victims coupled with polite inaction from our justice system, I think it's time for this." His attached message read:

The last 12 months have been tough. I’ve seen my mum in a dozen places: shopping on the village, in our garden smelling flowers and smiling at her new grandson. I’ve even seen her at The Tour, riding along a lane enjoying the countryside. It was a year ago this weekend that my mother was killed.

It’s been heart wrenching watching my dad try to come to terms with the absence of his soulmate. We’ve all tried to carry on living ‘a normal life’ it’s what my mum would have wanted. But it doesn’t feel normal.

Whether intentional aggression of inattentiveness, road crime, because that’s what it is, isn’t taken seriously.

A year on, there has still not been a decision on whether to even prosecute the man who killed my mother. A year.

I originally didn’t care what happened to the driver, it would change nothing for us and would we really want to ruin another life? But if our justice system doesn’t take road crime seriously, then someone will needlessly go through exactly what my father is experiencing now.

Killing, injuring or even threatening someone with a knife is not accepted, do the same with a car and it often is. And it’s wrong.

On Friday, Boardman had retweeted a video shot by cyclist Tom Littlehales showing a white van driver almost hitting him as he passed him to the left then turned right.

Boardman's retweet prompted a reply from Bedfordshire Police.

In a tweet sent this morning, Boardman said that other forces should follow the approach adopted by West Midlands Police when it comes to cases where the victim is a vulnerable road user.

 

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

19 comments

Avatar
CXR94Di2 [1700 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

It was careless of the van driver, he was hindered by low sun in his face. Obviously the van driver should of slowed down if his/her view was reduced by setting sun. Luckily the rider was spotted just in time.

Avatar
Boopop [18 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Oh, hi. I'm Tom Littlehales!

Avatar
Boopop [18 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

I was not told the driver had been contacted. Why are Beds. Police telling Chris Boardman otherwise? Here's the email conversation.

Avatar
jasecd [449 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
Boopop wrote:

I was not told the driver had been contacted. Why are Beds. Police telling Chris Boardman otherwise? Here's the email conversation.

 

The response from the police is ridiculous. They wish you safe riding yet have chosen not to enforce the law in this case - how exactly does this make things safer?

Sick to death of this patronising bullshit from those entrusted to ensure our safety.

Avatar
Boopop [18 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes
jasecd wrote:
Boopop wrote:

I was not told the driver had been contacted. Why are Beds. Police telling Chris Boardman otherwise? Here's the email conversation.

 

The response from the police is ridiculous. They wish you safe riding yet have chosen not to enforce the law in this case - how exactly does this make things safer?

Sick to death of this patronising bullshit from those entrusted to ensure our safety.

She said on the phone without a hint of irony that she didn't cycle because it was too dangerous. Suffice to say that triggered me a bit!

Avatar
srchar [543 posts] 1 month ago
6 likes
Boopop wrote:

She said on the phone without a hint of irony that she didn't cycle because it was too dangerous.

AAAAAAAAARGH!

Can you imagine her saying, "oh I don't walk around such-and-such an area - it's too dangerous".

Avatar
atlaz [247 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Quote:

The response from the police is ridiculous. They wish you safe riding yet have chosen not to enforce the law in this case - how exactly does this make things safer?

It reads a little to me like.. "I agree with you but there's sweet-FA I can do about it. Please kick up a fuss elsewhere, it might make a difference".

Avatar
flathunt [244 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Well, if you fancy getting really worked up then you could do worse than this:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/engineering-student-who-killed-man-...

 

A driving licence to kill.

Avatar
dog_film [16 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes

As much as I love riding it's just not worth the risk anymore. If the justice system drags its feet in a case involving a well respected figure such as Chris then what chance does anyone have. Not until MP's families are killed cycling will anything be done. 

Avatar
KINGHORN [14 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

The old, "we don't the tme, money excuse as usual".

 

well maybe if the police were just gathering evidence only, then maybe they would have time to collect more evidence. The problem is, the CPS, they want the police to do everything for them these days. It's supposed to be the CPS who take the evidence and decide what further action is needed!

Avatar
burtthebike [925 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

My mother was killed by a drunk, speeding motorcyclist, who got off with a fine, and his solicitor said that the collision was unavoidable and his client wasn't to blame, but at least he was prosecuted, unlike Mrs Boardman's case.  The laughably named "justice system" is anything but justice, and dangerous illegal driving is accepted socially and legally.

A great deal of the responsibility for this sad state of affairs is due to the media, with people like Clarkson having his obnoxious views promoted to sell newspapers, with tv programmes apparently dedicated to promoting dangerous driving.  There don't appear to be any MSM programmes promoting cycling, despite its apparent popularity: why not?

The police don't have the resources to enforce road laws, and even when they do, the CPS and courts fail us.  I'm not a violent person, but I'm beginning to wonder.  The government announced over £6bn funding for HS2, a project with no economic case, but we can't afford proper policing, and anyway, the police are demoralised from seven years of austerity.

Avatar
Grumpy17 [57 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

The Bedfordhsire police response to the incident captured on video is completely unacceptable.

 

It is understandable if resources are lacking that they would not consider prosecution  in cases where there is no supporting evidence of bad driving and it is merely a case of one person's word against another.

But in cases where there is clear video evidence of a driving offence and the vehicle's registration number and driver can be traced then the person making the complaint has a right to expect it would be further investigated.. To not do so amounts to a dereliction of duty.

A blanket refusal to investigate in all cases, regardless of the evidence available,  is frankly appalling.

 

 

Avatar
Sevenfold [66 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

 A motorist is judged by generally,  12 other motorists who generally think "there but for the grace of God go I" & fail to convict. N

Avatar
BarryBianchi [178 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
burtthebike wrote:

  The government announced over £6bn funding for HS2, a project with no economic case, but we can't afford proper policing, and anyway, the police are demoralised from seven years of austerity.

Yes, but doubtless it will be either a total pain in the arse or impossible to take bikes on the HS2, so that will reduce cycling, so that will reduce the need for policing.  See?  This government's secretly brilliant!

 

Avatar
burtthebike [925 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
BarryBianchi wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

  The government announced over £6bn funding for HS2, a project with no economic case, but we can't afford proper policing, and anyway, the police are demoralised from seven years of austerity.

Yes, but doubtless it will be either a total pain in the arse or impossible to take bikes on the HS2, so that will reduce cycling, so that will reduce the need for policing.  See?  This government's secretly brilliant!

Very secretly.

Avatar
davel [1496 posts] 1 month ago
1 like
burtthebike wrote:

The police don't have the resources to enforce road laws, and even when they do, the CPS and courts fail us.  I'm not a violent person, but I'm beginning to wonder.  The government announced over £6bn funding for HS2, a project with no economic case, but we can't afford proper policing, and anyway, the police are demoralised from seven years of austerity.

It had already sunk  £1bn before being officially announced in Parliament, and if it goes ahead, its total cost is likely to top £100bn https://www.ft.com/content/653c8dd2-6a37-11e7-bfeb-33fe0c5b7eaa?mhq5j=e1

Meanwhile, it looks like Justine Greening's fluffing an announcement for £1.3bn extra funding for schools, 1. because the manifesto seemingly promised more than that, and 2. she seems to be saying that the extra funding will come from elsewhere in her budget.

The priorities of the Tories, and the Tory Lites (Blair and Adonisites), are Fubar.

Avatar
BarryBianchi [178 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
davel wrote:

It had already sunk  £1bn before being officially announced in Parliament, and if it goes ahead, its total cost is likely to top £100bn https://www.ft.com/content/653c8dd2-6a37-11e7-bfeb-33fe0c5b7eaa?mhq5j=e1

Meanwhile, it looks like Justine Greening's fluffing an announcement for £1.3bn extra funding for schools, 1. because the manifesto seemingly promised more than that, and 2. she seems to be saying that the extra funding will come from elsewhere in her budget.

The priorities of the Tories, and the Tory Lites (Blair and Adonisites), are Fubar.

Double FUBAR now.  Announced on this evening's news that they are demolishing a new housing estate for the route now.  Genius.

Avatar
Stirlandd [5 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

The police force has been desamated in recent times crime is going out of control  unless it's clear cut and major. then all minor offences and anything taking up time..... no chance

Avatar
Stirlandd [5 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

The police force has been desamated in recent times crime is going out of control  unless it's clear cut and major. then all minor offences and anything taking up time..... no chance