Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Winter Kit Paradox

I am lucky enough to have a Rapha cafe/shop in my city and a couple of months ago I went to try on a Rapha + Goretex jacket only £320.

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-pro-team-insulated-gore-tex-jacket/...

I admit it was lovely and part of me wanted it, but I thought, how often will I wear it? The guy there said his mate has one and 'is up in the Peaks right now, he swears by it.' I believed him, but I barely go climbing in the summer. Now with the warm weather coming on I start to think what summer kit I want, not winter. and this has dropped down my (long) wish list.

The paradox is a lovely piece of kit like this might spur you to get out more often in the winter, yet at the price how much will it cost per ride; quite expensive motivation. Tell me why I should buy it and what is you most expensive item of clothing?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Cargobike | 4 years ago
2 likes

Without wanting to sound like a cynical old t**t I'd be making the purchase. The here and now is, especially under the current circumstances, far more important than a house purchase and 25 year mortgage, which in my opinion I'd be looking to postpone somewhat until we actually have an idea of how Covid-19 is going to affect house prices.

If it gets you out riding your bike more, then it should be classed as a good buy.

Alfrado | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gore shakedry C7 almost exactly same product and much cheaper - quite often on sale. I cycle in all weathers and given the uk climate it's surprisingly infrequent I call upon my C7 but it's good to have it when needed.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

The fact that you're asking the question means that you really want it.

The question is what else would you spend that same money on that you'd value more than a nice new jacket?

I agree with Welsh boy - as long as the money is disposable (don't get into debt/more debt for it) then why not?

My most expensive clothing is an old Gore-Tex rain jacket that was just over £200 a long time ago. Unfortunately, I came off on the "Cheesegrater" bridge by Bristol Temple Meads Station and ripped a small hole in the sleeve after only a week or two of owning it. Luckily it was only a small rip so the jacket was still useable and I've got lots of use out of it.

Organon replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

Struggling in the vortex with my jacket made of Gore-Tex, it fits wonderfully.

Wheels, socks, socks, mitts, socks and socks.

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
1 like

I love the way you casually drop the word "only" just before the price in tour post, you are trying to convince yourself that you want/need it arent you. If you want it and can afford it, and no one is goint to suffer because of it (kids going without shoes or school books is acceptable, going without Easter eggs is not acceptable) then get it.  Look at what is going on around us at the moment, life is precious (my favourite Pink Floyd quote "life is a short warm moment, death is a long cold rest") so enjoy it when you can, if the jacket gets you out just once more next winter then it was worth it. Do you justify the cost of your bike on the "how much per ride" basis.  Or your motor vehicle (if you have one), or your house every time you go home?

My most expensive piece of cycling kit is a Sportful winter top which cost me £130 about 5 years ago, it took me months to hit the Buy Now button and i was almost afraid to wear it for a few weeks in case i came off and damaged it.  After a few rides i realised it was worth every penny and regretted dithering for so long before buying it.

Organon replied to Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

My household numbers 1, and I am WFH, so it is pretty shitty at the moment. The only thing I can do is go for a ride, but I am smashing my yearly mileage target. No starving children, but I do need a mortgage deposit. I did pick up a V:race 88 deep section rear wheel for about £150 on ebay recently and it is a-maze-ing, so now I want a similar front one. However it is unlikely I will find another similar bargain. There are already enough 'are cheap things from china' threads on this forum.

cheers.

Welsh boy replied to Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

You have got the rest of your working life to pay off your mortgage, what difference will delaying it by one month make?  The bargain may not be there next month.  Why haven't you hit the Buy Now button already, come on, get a grip, do it.  You dont have the same problem as me (having to have things delivered to work so Mrs Welshboy doesn't see another bike related parcel being delivered, working from home does have its minus points).

Organon replied to Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

WB, I have 25K waiting to go on a property and it is now or never until the Covid happened. My mam passed away last summer and this is the first time I have any real savings in my life. 25 years from now I will be 68, so I really need to get on it soon. £320 over that period is small beans, but it is the total of all those micro decisions that drain your savings, I really need to keep my options open. If I am patient ebay normally brings me everything I need. 

hawkinspeter replied to Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

You're talking yourself out of it now.

Chris Hayes replied to Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

There's a size L on eBay right now...not much of a saving though...

henryb replied to Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

That's a sensible view. There are many Gore-Tex jackets which are excellent and which are cheaper than the Rapha one, and which will still fullfil the goal of getting you out on your bike more. If what you want is a shell, I use the Endura FS260 Pro SL Shell and have been very happy with it:

https://road.cc/content/review/187466-endura-fs260-pro-sl-shell

alotronic replied to henryb | 4 years ago
0 likes

henryb wrote:

That's a sensible view. There are many Gore-Tex jackets which are excellent and which are cheaper than the Rapha one, and which will still fullfil the goal of getting you out on your bike more. If what you want is a shell, I use the Endura FS260 Pro SL Shell and have been very happy with it:

https://road.cc/content/review/187466-endura-fs260-pro-sl-shell

I made exactly this decision about a year ago - there was an on sale alpha lined shakedry gore for about £230 somewhere but I bought a FS260 and the matching Primaloft jacket from Endura on sale for about £160. Is wasn't a bad decision, and what made the final decision was colour - I am going to struggle to feel safe in black - but I suspect that the gore jacket would have been a better bet all in, if only because I do a lot of night riding and I am pretty good at generating a lot of heat that overwhelms the Endura combo....

I did buy a rapha primaloft gilet which is brilliant, sale for about 90 and have never once regretted that. When they start making coloured shakedry I suspect I will be first in the line!

Latest Comments