Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Video footage and rain

I cycle with both Fly6Gen3 and Fly 12Sport.
The '6 is on the pannier mount (when I've got panniers on) and the right rear seat stay when I haven't.
The '12 is located on an above bar mount and has a slight downward tilt.
Both are in the silicone covers - and the '6 has the little glass window covering the lens; no such protection is on the '12.

How does other camera users prevent water droplet build-up on the lenses when it's raining? I can't see this being camera manufacturer specific as all cameras - even those in a housing will suffer the same issue.

Can't always be wiping the lens with a finger to clear it and wiping the rear lens is impossible.

I am running 3/4 length mudguards as my full length ones wont accommodate my gravel tyres.

I'm annoyed as I had a near miss last night in the rain, and I was too busy controlling the bike to wipe the front lens - rendering the footage to the incident useless [Image in text below]

So .. how do you stop water build-up on your lens ruining useable video?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

kil0ran | 4 months ago
1 like

Rainx windscreen spray?
Or possibly even WD-40?
Thin smear of vaseline might work, particularly at low temps. It will soften focus slightly but should still be able to discern plates.

NOtotheEU | 4 months ago
2 likes

I have the same problem with my front facing cameras so I wipe them regularly but the rear ones never seem to get wet. One is mounted on my seatpost so probably my fat self protects that from rain and the helmet mounted double camera is angled down at the back so maybe this helps keep it dry?

I have noticed cameras with a very large diameter lens cover are better at shedding drops than ones with a tiny lens cover or possibly they just have a wider angle view so the drops cover less of the picture?

I agree with hawkinspeter about UK roads though!

hawkinspeter | 4 months ago
2 likes

I have a multi-point plan on reducing rain build-up.

Firstly, avoid riding in the rain - that's mainly because I don't like it rather than for the sake of the cameras.

Secondly, have the camera facing somewhat downwards to aid with the water running off and also avoids blinding oncoming traffic so much if you've got a Fly12 camera/light combo.

Thirdly, cycle on UK roads - the continual bumps from all the potholes will tend to shake off the water droplets.

Fourthly, try some (motorbike) visor anti-mist spray on the lens or even a freshly cut potato. A weak mixture of washing up liquid should also work to reduce surface tension on the water droplet.

Oldfatgit replied to hawkinspeter | 4 months ago
3 likes

Can't really do (1) as I'm in Scotland and it would mean I'd never get out 😅

Already do (2). Might have adjust the angle (unit is only ever in "camera only".

Totally agree with (3).

I think I have some windscreen clear stuff somewhere... I'd forgotten about it and will go a spray hunt over the weekend

hawkinspeter replied to Oldfatgit | 4 months ago
1 like

Oldfatgit wrote:

Can't really do (1) as I'm in Scotland and it would mean I'd never get out 😅 Already do (2). Might have adjust the angle (unit is only ever in "camera only". Totally agree with (3). I think I have some windscreen clear stuff somewhere... I'd forgotten about it and will go a spray hunt over the weekend

From my diving experience, we used to also use a bit of spit to prevent masks from misting up underwater, so you could try rubbing some spit over the lens.

Oldfatgit | 4 months ago
2 likes

Rain build-up rendering video useless

chrisonabike replied to Oldfatgit | 4 months ago
1 like

...but rather artistic.

Oldfatgit replied to chrisonabike | 4 months ago
1 like

The ones from the rear light can be pretty stunning ... you can't see Jack, but they look great.

There's a level of water on the lens that produces really interesting shapes around light sources - some are sort of like this 💢 - that move independently to the direction of travel.

I think that if you were under an altered mental state through chemical assistance, they would totally blow your mind ...

Latest Comments