Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Ultimate Gran Fondo Equipment List

Prepare yourself perfectly for your Gran Fondo with our complete equipment list!

As endurance riders, we understand how crucial it is to be well-prepared for a Gran Fondo. Whether you're a seasoned cyclist or embarking on your first big ride, our ultimate equipment list ensures that you won't forget any essentials.

What should you bring for a Gran Fondo?

Cycling Clothing: Adapt to the temperature changes throughout the day with high-quality cycling apparel, including cycling shoes, socks, helmet, and sunglasses.

Electronics: Keep track of your performance with a reliable watch and an advanced bike computer. Stay informed of your speed, distance, and heart rate at all times. And the best part, you can easily post your ride on Strava afterwards and proudly showcase your achievements to your friends and followers.

Parts and Tools: Make sure you can handle any issues on the road. Bring along a reliable pump, CO2 cartridges, spare tires, and an Allen key set for unexpected repairs.

Nutrition: Fuel yourself for peak performance! Take energy drinks in a water bottle, energy gels, and energy bars to keep your energy levels up during the Gran Fondo. And don't forget the most important tool: the Pacing Sticker. With this clever sticker to attach to your handlebars, you'll always know if you're getting enough carbohydrates, preventing any bonking.

Prepare yourself for an unforgettable Gran Fondo experience with our complete equipment list. Don't forget any essential items and enjoy every kilometer with confidence. Get ready to break your personal records and cross the finish line with pride!

Good luck!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

peted76 | 9 months ago
1 like

Ah fair play for the entrepreneurial spirit of this post. Not a bad idea either.. price includes worldwide shipping.. that's probably adding to the cost a bit.

Ben Van Gils replied to peted76 | 9 months ago
0 likes

thanks @peted76, shipping is a big part of our cost. We're shipping for free from USA to Signapore and we would like to keep it that way..

don simon fbpe | 9 months ago
2 likes

I've seen the price so you don't have to.

Only a mug would pay £14....

If anyone's interested in them, give me a call, I've got a bridge I need to sell.

Steve K | 9 months ago
3 likes

So the net result of this thread is that some people have worked out how to post pictures, but no-one has bought a pacing sticker?

quiff | 9 months ago
2 likes

Takedown coming in 3,2,1...

Cugel | 9 months ago
1 like

Fings in your list not needed at all:

A cyling helmet or special socks.

"Electronics" of any kind except perhaps some lights if its going to get dark.

You won't need CO2 cartriges if you've got a pump. You will need a couple more tools, perhaps, besides allen keys.

Energy drinks and bars are for dafties with too much money who haven't heard of real fud & drank; and are prepared to risk mysterious powders and goos that may well lay them low with badgut well before the finish.

Life isn't entirely about buying stuff, that knows.  (Well, maybe it is now we all live in Toryspivland, which has replaced civilisation with a market place full of hucksters and guls).

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Cugel | 9 months ago
4 likes

Quote:

Fings in your list not needed at all:

A cyling helmet....

Not needed to ride a bike normally, but most Gran Fondo entries require one. 

mark1a | 9 months ago
7 likes

Obviously so keen to create a link to a site selling pacing stickers, you forgot to mention about including a bike in the recommended equipment list.

Steve K replied to mark1a | 9 months ago
4 likes

mark1a wrote:

Obviously so keen to create a link to a site selling pacing stickers, you forgot to mention about including a bike in the recommended equipment list.

Clearly you've spotted the main omission.  But I also wonder what is the point of bringing a CO2 cartridge without also bringing an inflator head.  Also, I'd say spare tyres are normally a bit OTT, but a spare tube might be an idea.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to mark1a | 9 months ago
3 likes

I'm surprised they managed to link to a picture in the main post as in the forum, most have to post a reply to be able to link. I suspect they encoded it directly into the text. 

andystow replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 9 months ago
6 likes

Hey, Ben Van Gils! If you want to do something useful instead of spamming us, please write a tutorial on how to embed an image in the main post on this forum. You could even use your marketing image as an example. Cheers!

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 9 months ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

I'm surprised they managed to link to a picture in the main post as in the forum, most have to post a reply to be able to link. I suspect they encoded it directly into the text. 

If the image is hosted elsewhere then you can just put the URL between IMG tags.

don simon fbpe replied to hawkinspeter | 9 months ago
2 likes

I knew there was a way, I'd forgotten how to do it.  Diolch!

hawkinspeter replied to don simon fbpe | 9 months ago
1 like

don simon fbpe wrote:

I knew there was a way, I'd forgotten how to do it.  Diolch!

Well, I've just learnt a new word

don simon fbpe replied to hawkinspeter | 9 months ago
0 likes

¿cuál?

hawkinspeter replied to don simon fbpe | 9 months ago
1 like

don simon fbpe wrote:

¿cuál?

Nudiustertian

pockstone replied to mark1a | 9 months ago
1 like

Just be grateful that they reminded us to get dressed beforehand. (Item1, cycling clothes!)

don simon fbpe | 9 months ago
2 likes

What are you selling? I haven't got time to read it all.

Ben Van Gils replied to don simon fbpe | 9 months ago
0 likes

@mark1a has done the job for you Don Simon  3

don simon fbpe replied to Ben Van Gils | 9 months ago
3 likes

That's a cool way of selling stuff, write a post with a clever little link without having to pay for an advert.

I'd probably write a post about how great a particular product is myself. get a second log in to endorse it, etc. Way more subtle, but more time consuming.

0 likes

thanks for the tip!

chrisonabike replied to don simon fbpe | 9 months ago
3 likes

don simon fbpe wrote:

I'd probably write a post about how great a particular product is myself. get a second log in to endorse it, etc. Way more subtle, but more time consuming.

One of our local volunteers has extensive experience in this area and is clearly underemployed - perhaps they could help?  They can even create some "johnny foreigner" personas if you want to promote overseas (to realise some Brexit trade benefits perhaps)!

don simon fbpe replied to chrisonabike | 9 months ago
2 likes

This volunteer does indeed have the experience and I wouldn't hesitate in using them when I need some astroturfing.

chrisonatrike wrote:

don simon fbpe wrote:

One of our local volunteers has extensive experience in this area and is clearly underemployed - perhaps they could help?  They can even create some "johnny foreigner" personas if you want to promote overseas (to realise some Brexit trade benefits perhaps)!

0 likes

Thanks for keeping this topic on top of the blog guys!

Steve K replied to Ben Van Gils | 9 months ago
3 likes

Do you think you've made a single sale on the back of it (genuine question)?

quiff replied to Steve K | 9 months ago
1 like

Oh, are they selling something?!

don simon fbpe replied to quiff | 9 months ago
0 likes

Trying...

Ben Van Gils replied to Steve K | 9 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for asking! Sales in UK went up by 200%. 

kinderje replied to Ben Van Gils | 9 months ago
5 likes

Previous sales of 1, now sold 3?

Or should that be now sold 2 (I'm never sure how some people measure percentages)

don simon fbpe replied to Ben Van Gils | 9 months ago
1 like

You'll be giving Road.cc their ad revenue then, won't you?

Latest Comments