Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubular to Clincher

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a road bike with tubular wheels. Is it an easy enough process to change to rims for clinchers ? The hubs are both dura ace so if like to keep them. What’s the best idea ?

I’ll try and rock the tubulars but just in case I have issues I want to be able to swap them.

Thanks

Jamie.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

JazzyBoom | 3 years ago
1 like

Looks settled then. I'm sticking with the tubs. Cheers everyone 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

You can use sealant in tubulars - if that sets your mind at ease? There are plenty of cycle forum threads listing the do's and don'ts and sealant / tyre compatibility....

srchar | 3 years ago
1 like

TIP: Don't ride them, because you won't be going back to clinchers afterwards...

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
1 like

You'll have to take the wheels to a wheelbuilder. They'll be able to change the rim and also ascertain if parts such as the spokes and the hubs can be recycled. 

TBH it's not a quick job and could cost a fair bit dependent on the type of rim you want. 

Sure you don't fancy learning how to maintain and change tubulars? 

JazzyBoom replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Joe, 

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a bit of a schlep to be honest I should probably learn to swap the tubs. Are they easy enough to swap? It must be a pain carrying one round when out on a long ride. 

thanks   

Mungecrundle replied to JazzyBoom | 3 years ago
1 like

Easy enough to fit. They do have a reputation for being arcane black magic and it is a bit of a ritual taking several steps over a couple of days. But quite within the abilities of a home mechanic. Quite satisfying all told and lots of opportunity to upset the Mrs with tyres and wheels in the house plus glue over everything.

Your hoary arsed audax rider wouldn't be caught dead without a pre glued tub in their saddlebag, personally I carry some sealant, a valve core extractor and a mini pump.

JazzyBoom replied to Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
0 likes

Cheers. I'll definitely give it a go. 

srchar replied to JazzyBoom | 3 years ago
1 like

JazzyBoom wrote:

Are they easy enough to swap? It must be a pain carrying one round when out on a long ride.

Yes. Pull punctured tyre off, fit new tyre, inflate, ride. It doesn't take any longer than changing a tube. Most wouldn't carry a full-size spare, and a 21mm tub isn't much bigger than a tube.

JazzyBoom replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a dream. Cheers 

Jamie. 

Nick T replied to srchar | 3 years ago
1 like

I carry a Tufo S3 as my spare, it's a tubeless tubular so about as light as possible, and folds down to the same size as the mini pump it goes next to in my jersey pocket. I also carry a bottle of Tufo Extreme sealant which plugs most things in a pinch, along with a single tyre lever to help get the occasional stubborn tyre off the rim

matthewn5 replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

You can carry a folded tub under the seat, in the position you might have a saddle bag. Here's how to fold it:

https://cycletechreview.com/2012/features/fold-tubular-tyre/2/

JazzyBoom replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Nick. I'll have a look at those. 
👍🏻

JazzyBoom replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Is there a particular Tyler you would recommend that withstands a puncture more so than others ? 

thanks 

srchar replied to JazzyBoom | 3 years ago
0 likes

Veloflex Roubaix have always been good to me.

Latest Comments