Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Training for nothing

Wondering if there's anyone else out there like me who like to train hard but never actually compete against anyone other than themselves?

When I say compete, I mean I might try and beat my previous best on a hill in strava or go longer than I've gone before.

I've never really followed a structured training plan until recently which has opened my eyes as it includes easy weeks, highlighting the fact that I probably go too hard too often, which explains why I ended up with patellar tendinitis, which is largely sorted now after a few months of physio.

Do you structure your riding or just do whatever you feel like at the time or...?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

kil0ran | 3 years ago
2 likes

I've been switching between longer flat rides and shorter hilly ones. I have four 10 - 20 mile routes on rotation and if I'm feeling good I can combine two routes for a longer ride, or all 4 for a cloverleaf. Helps with the desire to keep close to home in the current restrictions and lets me bail if I need to. Riding at least 5 times a week at the moment and noticing improvements on each ride, I'm getting back to how I was 3 years ago.

PRSboy replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Its great when you can feel the improvements... good idea on the 'cloverleaf' loops, in the current climate.  I have a similar one, involving 4 possible ascents of the same hill, but all very different in character.

PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Absolutely.  I love to give myself a good workout on the bike, for two reasons; I love the buzz of travelling quickly on the bike, and I can cover more ground in a given time.  It is important though to build in some easier rides, as I know from experience the body does tire of being worked hard, to the point that rides stop being enjoyable.  I've been lucky enough to have not picked up any strain-related injuries from cycling.

I would also say that one needs to be wary about spending too much time at a rate that is not hard enough to get effective improvement, but too hard to recover.  Better to do some short sessions at high intensity/intervals, but others at a gentler endurance pace.  Overall, this seemed to give me better results.

I can recommend time trialling as being a good step into competition, when conditions allow.  You don't need a fancy TT rig, there is a lot to be said for just getting on with it on a road bike, as I always have.  I will always remember my first 40kmh 10 mile, couldn't get close to that now! 

bike_food replied to PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good shout about time trialling, also hill climbing in winter looks fun.

Didn't mention in original post but recently bought a power meter after thinking why would I need one for years, it has highlighted exactly what you mention about my 'normal' pace being not slow/hard enough.

Richard_pics | 3 years ago
1 like

Just cycle to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, dont do it! Simples.

Bigmarlow | 3 years ago
0 likes

Me!!

i tend to find I push myself to hard 90% of the time and never really go out on a steady ride. Not until recently after buying a garmin 530 and after rides it was telling me I was over doing it! Plus my heart rate was always high. 

Now I mix my rides up, some steady long rides and then some rides where I will push hard and aim for a higher average speed over an hour or a certain mileage. Normally around 20-30 miles 

Latest Comments