Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour Down Under 2024

Happy New Year to all.

When is the Tour Down Under competition likley to open?

It looks like we have a full provisional startlist on PCS already although they haven't uploaded the stage details yet.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Daniel Norton | 3 months ago
0 likes

What happened to Vader?  What a let-down!

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 3 months ago
1 like

Should maybe change his name to Fader! 

Daniel Norton | 3 months ago
0 likes

Normally, the fight for bonus seconds is more exciting at the TDU.  Nobody has done a Gerrans/Impey this year, so apart from the sprint at the end, not a lot to see.

Is it the way they designed the course or the attitude of the teams/riders?  Hope next year they find a way to bring back the scrap on every stage type of race it used to be.

teckert replied to Daniel Norton | 3 months ago
1 like

IMO I reckon a lot is the result of Stuart O'Grady being the new race director. He's made some 'interesting' changes over the last cpl years since he came in.

Daniel Norton replied to teckert | 3 months ago
1 like

I think you're probably right.  Removing Wilunga Hill from being a feature (was it last year?) was a terrible idea, even if you don't want it to decide the race.

When TDU switched from being a sprinter-festival and a Greipel wipe out, the race became something unique and I loved it.  I hope the final stage turns out to be aggressive and teams don't just try to hold on to their positions.

11waterloo | 3 months ago
0 likes

I'm enjoying the racing being back even if it is at an odd time for us Europeans! This is how it must feel during the rest of the season for our Aussie players - hats off to you Tony and your compatriots for your dedication during the European summer! Things should liven up at the weekend but it will be odd watching Willunga Hill without Richie Porte leading the way up! 

tony kappler replied to 11waterloo | 3 months ago
0 likes

Yes, Iv'e always particularly enjoyed TDU and the Tour of California (when it was running). Lots of sun and open space. European races generally finished around 2am here, so it was an early fast forward through the race.

I was thinking the same as you and Daniel Norton in your comments in "FC in 2024"; can I be bothered playing again? I was flagging at the end of last year, particularly after Andy (after many sterling years of hard work) dropped off the admin team, and I found myself scoring most stages.

So this year I decided to do less intensive analysis and more intuitive, and see where that goes. And I might skip the races I don't like and the one day races, which are just a lottery.

11waterloo replied to tony kappler | 3 months ago
0 likes

I'm with you on this, I'm trying not to spend too long reading every preview and analysis. The one day races are also where I might take a break. The tactic with them  seems to be to pick  the top seven in the odds plus a youngster at 3 mill to stay in budget - there just isn't the strategy of the stage races. Anyway, all the best from the Northern Hemisphere and let's enjoy the racing! 

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 3 months ago
0 likes

I quite like the stage races when it isn't the same faces as usual going for the overall (i.e. Poland, California, TDU) as well.

I think the Giro is going to be fascinating this season.  No matter what he says, Van Aert will go for the GC if you think about the type of character he is.  Imagine how much pressure the climbers will be under on their stages if he gets a big lead on the medium mountains, knowing how much time he will also gain in TTs.  Potentially serious fireworks and unpredictable stages throughout.

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 3 months ago
0 likes

Yes, it is impossible as a cycling fan not to get excited at the start of a new season. Giro looks to be unpredictable with WvA giving it a go early on while TdF has and extra genuine contender this year with Roglic plus a wildcard in Evenepoel. Bring it all on!!

Daniel Norton replied to tony kappler | 3 months ago
0 likes

It's going to have to be intuition if I throw a team out every race.  I don't expect to feature in the top 10 overall this season but still want to win my favourite races (Giro, Vuelta et al.)

runaroundsioux replied to tony kappler | 3 months ago
0 likes

smiley Ive been using intuition for years Tony, and you know how well that has done me indecision  You got me into this game, ever how many years ago, and I thoroughly enjoy the challenge now. 

I understand how much time you put in last year (time differences aside), but thank you for your efforts.   We will share a beer soon and discuss all the teams we should have picked

teckert replied to 11waterloo | 3 months ago
1 like

As a McLaren Vale born and bred local, today is my day.  1
Great to see Willunga Hill back!
And yes, I love the fact I can do an analysis and set my team an hour before the start of a stage rather than 10!!  So many stuff ups during the season due to weather or pull-outs etc....! 
I'm not a cyclist myself but I just love watching it! Probably a bit weird, but I just love the tactics involved. Also I am a total fantasy sports nut, so have loved being involved in this comp over the years as something different!  1

11waterloo replied to teckert | 3 months ago
1 like

It is amazing that this game can bring people from all around the globe together through a shared love of cycling! I have fond memories of staying in Adelaide 25+ years ago and touring around (with a particular interest in the wineries!)  Beautiful part of the world. 

dave atkinson | 3 months ago
0 likes

it won't open until a few days before the race. but it will open!

Latest Comments