Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Rough as a donkey’s arse

...is how the 1975 MG Midget that occasionally visits my road sounds starting up at 7:15 am.

Being naturally curious, I checked the reg plate and it reports the car as currently taxed, but last MOT'd in 2017. 

Is it in some exemption category - he can't get VED without an MOT? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Govt website at

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Quote:

You do not need to get an MOT if:

• the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
  • no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works

If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1981, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1981, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

Steve K replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes
brooksby wrote:

Govt website at

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Quote:

• no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works

If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1981, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1981, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

So if your vehicle was built and registered on 4 January 1981, you need to pretend you don't know when it was built?

David9694 replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm showing my age here - a1981 car is a Dad car, not Genieve, Chitty-chitty-Bang-Bang, or Inspector Morse's Jag.

Why on Earth do they not have to have an an appropriate MOT?

brooksby replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

It used to be a fixed date - the car had to have been built before 1974 (IIRC) and then all these people who had cars from the late 70s and 80s said that was unfair because their cars were old too, so it became a rolling thing ("more than 40 years ago").

No sensible owner of a historic vehicle would leave their vehicle alone and not bother with having a "like an MOT but not really" service at least once a year, mind...

brooksby replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Genevieve and Chitty would actually be classed as vintage rather than historic. I think they have their own set of rules, and are allowed to drive the London to Brighton run.

wycombewheeler replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

This is nuts, cars do not get safer as they get older, they get more worn out and likely to have faults.

David9694 replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

This wretched MG looks like it's ready to drop to bits.

Generally I don't like old cars: they really make a fumey smell (a reminder that we used to breath in this all the time) and while many can still pick up speed, they don't have the same safety stuff, like anti-lock servo brakes and steering.  And they're often driven by people who consider themselves "fun" - uuurrrgghh. 

brooksby replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think that the original idea was that historic vehicles wouldn't be driven around as much as a modern vehicle, so didn't need the MOT.

David9694 replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
1 like

One to raise next time the "cyclists should have an MOT lot are out."

Latest Comments