Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble Endurance SL Disc vs Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 Disc

Hi

I finally managed to save £2500 for a new road bike. Currently riding a 2012 Specialized Allez and been wanting an upgrade for years. As the money was being saved, I was sure I wanted a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 Disc, but with the recent canyon price hikes and Brexit plus the cost of delivery I just kept seeing the price going higher and higher (£2,455.98).  So I thought to have a look around to see if I could get anything better for the price and came across the Ribble Endurance SL Disc.

Ribble Endurance SL Disc. 105 Group set starting at £1899 which I upgraded with a Level 5 Carbon Integrated Road Bar & Stem (£300) Plus delivery (£40)= Total:  £2239.00. Wheelset: Mavic Aksium Dsc 700c Wheelset. Weight Medium 8.6 KG

Canyon Ultimate CF Sl 7 Disc: Total Cost: £2,455.98. Weight: 7.90KG. 105 Group set. Wheelset: DT Swiss P 1850 Spline db.

I am really torn between these two choices. Feel like the canyon comes with a slightly better wheelset and is lighter but the Ribble comes with the integrated carbon cockpit. Moreover, the Ribble is £216.98 cheaper.

Would really appreciate your thoughts. This bike needs to last me for the next 5 years plus.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Canyon48 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hard call, they are both great bikes!

It's really down to personal preference and cost.

For an all-round/winter bike, I would go for the Ribble as it has mudguard mounts. If you aren't intending to do too much riding in the wet (or you're happy with clip-on guards) the Canyon is the lighter bike.

I'd chose the integrated cockpit and switch the wheels to a lighter/more aero set regardless of which bike it was - but that's mainly because I fancy myself as some sort of pro racer (which I most certainly am not!).

I have a Canyon Ultimate and my girlfriend has a Canyon Endurace, they are both superb bikes the Endurace really is just a slightly more comfy/relaxed/stable Ultimate. That said, the bike I ride for the 8 months of the year when it's not sunny and dry is a Whyte Wessex - a bit heavier, but with mudguard mounts.

If you mainly want lightweight and a bit extra speed, go for the Canyon. If you aren't so worried about speed and want the added mudguard mounts, go for the Ribble.

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
1 like

For me - and without looking at what other bikes are available at the same range - I'd drop the integrated handlebar and spend the money on a custom colourscheme.  The handlebars won't make you faster, but the paintjob means you'll love it more, ride it more, and that actually might make you faster.

peted76 | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd go with the Canyon, mainly due to that 700grams weight saving, because every time I went up a hill on the ribble I'd be thinking about the Canyon. (Which is exactly what I do every time I go up a hill on my endurance bike). Also I personally don't value the integrated cockpit hugely.

Canyon48 replied to peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Same here. My Whyte Wessex (8.3 kg) feels incredibly slow uphill compared to my Canyon Ultimate (7.3 kg)!

Although, I do rather like integrated cockpits  1

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
1 like

The ultimate comes with integrated cockpit as standard, so it's a straight choice of £200 extra for saving 0.7kg

The endurace 7.0 is closer in price and weight to the ribble, but can't be ordered at this time anyway

I don't think the wheelset is a major issue though, as the DT swiss 1850 are not top end wheels anyway. And you might end up replacing either set with something lighter and/or more aero.

Overall, if you want to go the online route and have checked the geometry for both and happy that it is right for you, then it might come down to which you prefer the look of, as the spec is essentially the same. I would not choose a bike I liked less for a saving of less than 10%, because i would always be thinking about the one I prefered.

So if it were me I'd be going for the Canyon, but others have stated they like the look of the ribble, which is not to my tastes.

Wickers.2008 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Did you make a decision on this... I'm in a similar boat, have been riding for a couple of years now, currently on a very upright second hand Merida.

Looking at the rim brake version of both mentioned, Ultegra Endurance SL from Ribble, vs Ultegra Ultimate CF SL 8.0. Keen to hear if you made a final decision.

Weight swinging me in favour of the Canyon currently but the Ribble with the dropped seat stays is stunning. 

Prosper0 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Check delivery times with Ribble and Canyon before committing. I'd be amazed if you can get either of these bikes within 6 months. Might have to temper expectations in current covid/Brexit scenario. Do you really want one of these for delivery in autumn plus?

Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm currently finding myself very tempted by the Ti version of the Ribble.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

The ribble looks good but I have a 2 year old cf sl 8.0 disc (Ultegra basically) and it's been a fantastic bike. Really fun to ride, both stiff for the sprints and accelerations but also comfortable with it. 

You probably  can't go wrong with either tbh. The main advantage of the ribble I can see is the hidden mudguard mounts if you are planning to use it all year round (if you're not selling your allez I'd keep that for your winter bike)

Dinu85 replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks a lot for the response. If you don't add the integrated cockpit the Ribble works out to be £1939 including delivery. Essentially £516 cheaper than the Canyon Ultimate. Admittedly as Joe alluded to the Canyon is 0.6Kg lighter and has a better wheelset and tires, but I don't feel that justifies the additional cost, especially given I do not race. The truth is I was just a little bit suspicious of the value of the Ribble. Why is it cheaper than the Canyon when they are both meant to be direct to customer value suppliers? Is the frame of lower quality? The recent hike in prices at Canyon is significant though, where this bike would have otherwise been just over £2000 over a year ago. After Brexit buying from EU suppliers like Canyon carries a premium where more than 45% of the bike is from outside the EU. 

EddyBerckx replied to Dinu85 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Dinu85 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the response. If you don't add the integrated cockpit the Ribble works out to be £1939 including delivery. Essentially £516 cheaper than the Canyon Ultimate. Admittedly as Joe alluded to the Canyon is 0.6Kg lighter and has a better wheelset and tires, but I don't feel that justifies the additional cost, especially given I do not race. The truth is I was just a little bit suspicious of the value of the Ribble. Why is it cheaper than the Canyon when they are both meant to be direct to customer value suppliers? Is the frame of lower quality? The recent hike in prices at Canyon is significant though, where this bike would have otherwise been just over £2000 over a year ago. After Brexit buying from EU suppliers like Canyon carries a premium where more than 45% of the bike is from outside the EU. 

The canyon also has a great integrated handlebar/stem combo though you can't cheapen the built by swooping it out like the ribble.

it's a bit moot though - they are not available until June...I'm assuming ribble is less of a wait?

Dinu85 replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

The Ribble is available in May, so not a huge difference. Going back and forth on the color wow: a choice between Black and Red. The opinion is changing daily.  Decided to go with Ribble as it is much cheaper and it allows me to afford the integrated level 5 handlebar.  If I was to get that option with Canyon that would be an additional £300, bringing the total to £2755. Can get Ribble with an integrated handlebar for £2250.  £500 difference is significant enough for me to side with the Ribble. 

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
1 like

They'll both be good bikes, you won't go wrong with either. One good thing about the Ribble is that it does have mudguard mounts which will be useful if you're planning to use this bike all year. 

I'd also add that the Canyon comes with better tyres than the Ribble. I'd certainly prioritise getting better tyres on the Ribble over having a fancy integrated handlebar/stem that'll be a ballache to maintain. 

Dinu85 replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the response Joe

Dinu85 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Pic of the Canyon

Dinu85 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Pic of The Ribble

Dinu85 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I could also upgrade the wheelset to the Mavic Ksyrium SL 25 Disc Wheelset for an additional £450 bringing the total for the Ribble to £2689. 

alex_velo replied to Dinu85 | 3 years ago
1 like

To be perfectly honest I'd drop having the integrated bars and spend a little bit more on the wheels - Aksiums at that price are a joke. Cero or Prime wheels would be my choice - a quick change of wheelset and sell the Aksiums it came with unused on the Ribble and you've then got enough to buy a new bar/stem combo for less than the Canyon and you've made the weight more equivalent.

Latest Comments