Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A repentant sinner?

I read this over my morning porridge and celebrated a small victory for those of us on two wheels. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/27/why-i-quit-complai...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Tom_77 | 5 months ago
2 likes

This is her 2015 article in The Metro that she refers too - https://metro.co.uk/2015/11/05/cyclists-are-a-menace-and-should-be-banne...

It's your bog-standard, ill-informed rant.

HoldingOn replied to Tom_77 | 5 months ago
1 like

Tom_77 wrote:

This is her 2015 article in The Metro that she refers too - https://metro.co.uk/2015/11/05/cyclists-are-a-menace-and-should-be-banne...

It's your bog-standard, ill-informed rant.

Tough reading!

I choose to believe the writer has in fact changed their outlook and is not simply jumping on another way of generating "clicks"

Bungle_52 | 5 months ago
3 likes

I think the article is more anti car than pro cyclist.

What I can't get my head round is why so few people valued the lack of noise and pollution over lockdown and got back to destroying the planet as soon as they were able.

I read somewhere that if emissions were kept at lockdown levels we may just have had a chance of keeping below 2 degrees.

brooksby replied to Bungle_52 | 5 months ago
3 likes

Bungle_52 wrote:

I read somewhere that if emissions were kept at lockdown levels we may just have had a chance of keeping below 2 degrees.

Did you see that article over the weekend that if everyone hadn't swapped over to SUVs then emissions from motor transport now would be 30% down on what they were in 2010 due to developments in tech.  Unfortunately, everyone went and bought an SUV and emissions are about 4% down instead...

Oldfatgit replied to brooksby | 5 months ago
0 likes

Weren't people buying SUVs as manufacturers had cut back making 'traditional' cars and leaving MPVs as separate vehicles?

Wasn't the traditional body shape dropped because it was cheaper to build one vehicle - the SUV - than build a saloon and a MPV?

NOtotheEU replied to Oldfatgit | 5 months ago
0 likes

I believe this is true in the US where large pick ups and the SUV's built on the same platforms have lower safety and emission standards and are body on frame so cheap to build. That's why the big three have all but abandoned saloons but I don't think the same applies in Europe where they are just supplying what customers want.

Kapelmuur | 5 months ago
2 likes

A freelancer, presumably this article was offered to the Graunisd because it had no chance of acceptance in the Mail, Telegraph etc.

peted76 | 5 months ago
4 likes

I'm cynical.. but I'll take it and more turncoats just like her also please.

A drop of goodwill towards cyclists in an ocean of hate.. 

HoldingOn | 5 months ago
4 likes

Interesting read.

Quote:

Looking at the article now, I know it was written by a thoughtless younger version of myself, putting clicks before people

happily admitting to writing an article just to encourage "clicks"

Rich_cb replied to HoldingOn | 5 months ago
5 likes

A cynical view would be that she's still doing exactly the same.

If you want to get published in the Graun you've just got to chase a different type of click.

A woman of principles, if you don't like them she has others...

SimoninSpalding replied to Rich_cb | 5 months ago
3 likes

That's not true, the Guardian regularly publish anti-cycling bingo pieces by the likes of Adrian Chiles...

brooksby replied to SimoninSpalding | 5 months ago
1 like

SimoninSpalding wrote:

That's not true, the Guardian regularly publish anti-cycling bingo pieces by the likes of Adrian Chiles...

I think he only gets published there because he's married to the editor.

The Guardian does publish anti-cycling pieces, as does every media outlet, but I think they publish more pro-cycling (or at least not anti).

lesterama replied to brooksby | 5 months ago
2 likes

Chiles is by far the worst thing on the Guardian website

jaymack replied to lesterama | 5 months ago
0 likes

But at least one doesn't have to read his articles.

Brauchsel replied to lesterama | 5 months ago
2 likes

Have they deleted Owen Jones then?

Latest Comments