Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recovery after workout in the evening.

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice in relation to recovery after evening workouts, mostly on my wattbike.
This is my typical evening when I workout, during my working week. I will get home from work just after 5pm and will have evening meal with my family around 5.30 to 6.00pm, I will usually start my workout around 7.00 to 7.45 pm and usually finish between 1 and 1.5 hours, warm down, etc,at which point I will go for a shower.
Should I be eating anything after the workout to help with recovery, obviously I have had water during workout. I'm 54 years old (210 ftp) 2.5w/kg approx.
Many thanks
Rob

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

andystow | 8 months ago
0 likes

Are you doing a cycling workout, or a resistance workout? I find that creatine really helps with recovery (and gains) from the latter. Just be sure to stay hydrated.

RJSL replied to andystow | 8 months ago
1 like

Thanks,
Cycling workouts, mostly endurance related and upto around an hour for main effort.
👍

RJSL | 8 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice all!

jaymack | 8 months ago
1 like

Pretty much the best 'recovery' product is milk. I had a routine like yours for years 'till covid. So, milk or chocolate milk shake, if it's cold dark and miserable outside have a hot chocolate. And buy yourself of a copy of Good to Go by Christie Aschwanden (https://www.goodtogobook.com) you'll never look at the world of sports recovery products the same way again.

Paul J replied to jaymack | 8 months ago
2 likes

+1.

Lots of the protein powders are basically.... milk (protein extracted from).

Save yourself spending lots of money to companies essentially buying bulk whey powder and mixing with flavourings and other commodities and just drink some milk - not skimmed.

Simon E replied to Paul J | 8 months ago
1 like

If you don't want to use cow's milk then soya milk has a similar level of protein. Almond and oat not so much.

If you want to have something a little more substantial then a small portion of pre-soaked oats & granola with cinnamon works well for me.

Try to add modest amounts of protein the next day too, I read that the key with using protein for recovery is to keep the intake going over a period of time, not one big hit immediately after the workout. And variety of food sources is important. Eggs, nuts, seeds and fish for example.

I find that using my legs gently afterwards (walking or very easy riding) and into the next day is better than trying to do as little as possible - keeping active aids blood circulation and speeds recovery.

Latest Comments