Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Power for garage use of turbo, tv, computer etc

How do?

Looking for a solution, I have a garage but no way of getting power, does anyone use any sort of industrial rechargeable battery pack, or other solution?

I cannot run a cable out I’m afraid.

Cheers in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the same situation as you and use a Tacx Bushido Smart which doesn't require a power source. 

That means I just have to make sure that my laptop is charged which I use for Trainer Road although Zwift is also fine with this set up. 

OnTheRopes | 4 years ago
0 likes

1) use a laptop for your screen, or a tablet

2) Not sure how much voltage/power a smart trainer requires but it can't be much (my dumb trainer and power meter requires none) but if you need 240v get a cheap 12v to 240 volt inverter and a car battery or deep cycle battery.

If you intend to ride online you will of course need internet to your laptop

jollygoodvelo replied to OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
0 likes

OnTheRopes wrote:

1) use a laptop for your screen, or a tablet

2) Not sure how much voltage/power a smart trainer requires but it can't be much (my dumb trainer and power meter requires none) but if you need 240v get a cheap 12v to 240 volt inverter and a car battery or deep cycle battery.

If you intend to ride online you will of course need internet to your laptop

Deep cycle battery and a solar panel on the roof to top it up would be my choice, plus an iPad.

Oldfatgit | 4 years ago
1 like

If you get a petrol generator and you are planning on running sensitive electric kit off it, check that there is an inverter in line prior to the equipment, and peferrably a sine-wave inverter.
Sine-wave is more expensive than square-form, but your equipment will thank you for it.
The wave form - and power output - can fluctuate with the rpm of the generator, so you may not get the 50hz (+0.2 -0.6) that most kit is designed to operate at.

TV's for caravans are more expensive as they are designed to work on fluctuating waveform.

If you are seriously thinking about a gen set, then the caravan / motorhome comunity might be a good place to start (and cheaper than a new TV).

Sriracha | 4 years ago
1 like
kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Petrol generator? Just make sure exhaust is ducted outside. The big challenge power wise is the TV screen requirement. What trainer do you have?

BrokenBootneck replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the replies. I have a Saris H3 I can pick up the WiFi and tether my phone but I'm a couple of garages in to the block so running power cables not an option. WiFi just about works but might look at a way of boosting the signal further. 

Latest Comments