Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

New greenfield housing forcing people to use cars, report finds (Grauniad)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/feb/07/new-greenfield-housing-f...

Quote:

New greenfield housing developments are locking residents into car dependency, making everyday journeys impossible without a vehicle, a new report has found. Meanwhile, pledges for walking, cycling and public transport are often left unfulfilled.

The group Transport for New Homes (TfNH) visited 20 new housing developments in England, finding that while those on urban brownfield sites generally lived up to sustainable transport pledges, greenfield sites were often far from shops and amenities, without public transport, cycling links or even pavements, and the homes themselves were seemingly designed around car parking.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

But drivers moan endlessly when something IS done to stop car dependency setting in from the start with new developments - the area east of Wimborne between the A31 bypass and the B3078 is all subject to development at the moment and this is the site of the major new cyclepath from a few months back - Daily Mail and all that. Drivers suddenly gain an appreciation of what these things cost. 

New estates like since the 1970s tend to have a limited number of connections to existing roads - which may be a cost thing, but is also designed to limit through traffic. They seemed better at connecting things up in the olden days, even if now these need to be retrofitted with planters. 

lonpfrb | 2 years ago
7 likes

A few decades ago the good people of Finland looked at their national health data and saw that the pattern was towards less activity and lower life expectancy. So they built a political consensus to do something about it, specifically for safe space beside new or some existing* roads where all forms of human centered transport could take place.

* planning gain i.e. points for improving the public realm in planning applications.

Many years later it is common for people to do their local journeys on foot, wheels, skates or skis, depending on the season. This is especially great for the elderly who can safely travel in the winter, using 1-person sleds, without risk of falls in snow and ice conditions. Cycling and skiing both benefit from landscaping of the route to minimise slopes. So people of all abilities are enabled to enjoy their travel.

Building regulations are the key to ensure that the public realm is friendly to active travel. Anything less is just talk, however well intentioned...

iandusud | 2 years ago
8 likes

I read the BBC News article about this and was going to post about it but you've beaten me to it. Sadly this is so typical of our government. They say one thing and do completely the opposite. So depressing.

hawkinspeter replied to iandusud | 2 years ago
9 likes

iandusud wrote:

I read the BBC News article about this and was going to post about it but you've beaten me to it. Sadly this is so typical of our government. They say one thing and do completely the opposite. So depressing.

With politicians and people in power, don't listen to what they say, but watch what they do (e.g. holding parties whilst telling everyone else to not mingle)

Dnnnnnn replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

As with politicians, we often get the new housing developments we deserve. Many local authorities don't want to plan properly for new development because designating anywhere (especially if it's greenspace) for housing generates lots of opposition.

Fortunately, central government doesn't allow local areas to prohibit development - but it's often left to developers and speculators to take the lead, and given the dominance of large firms (who have the best consultants, surveyors and solicitors) and the greater attractiveness of 'easy' greenfield sites (especially in areas without good plans or which aren't seeing enough building), they're the ones which are often developed. Even if they're not the most suitable locations, or the layouts aren't particularly good.

Most people agree we should be building more homes. Unfortunately, far fewer agree with proposals to have them built near them.

Bungle_52 replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
1 like

I don't agree that we should be building more new homes. There are many other ways to provide housing. Holiday homes is one area to be looked at. Many people, including myself, would love to move out of an area of high demand to live in a low employment area but prices are kept artificially high by holiday homes and second (or third) homes. There are many unoccupied houses which could be lived in and then there are large houses, often 4 bedrooms or more, which are occupied by one person. I admit that the shift in attitudes to make better use of these assets and thus reduce housing demand would be a challenge but in my opinion would be a better solution than building on prime agricltural land when we can only supply 40% of our food needs at present. We have seen what reliance on global markets can lead to with the chip shortages, PPE, vaccine manufacture and most recently the energy crisis. Food will be next.

The solution, of course, is to reduce population density but that is an even bigger challenge.

Rendel Harris replied to Bungle_52 | 2 years ago
6 likes

300,000 empty homes in the UK at present - not holiday homes etc, just unused homes. I recently rode through a street near London's Docklands, all new builds, all empty; a security guard told me they'd all been bought by a Malaysian syndicate who were just holding them as an investment and didn't want the bother of tenants. Stopping that sort of thing would be a good start.

mdavidford replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

That does appear to include empty properties that are unsafe or uninhabitable, and may be unviable to restore, though - can't seem to find any kind of estimate on how many that accounts for.

You'd also need to consider where those homes are, and if they're in suitable locations to provide for unmet demand.

That said, it probably still leaves a good chunk that could make a sizeable dent in the shortfall.

Grahamd replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
0 likes

mdavidford wrote:

That does appear to include empty properties that are unsafe or uninhabitable, and may be unviable to restore, though - can't seem to find any kind of estimate on how many that accounts for.

You'd also need to consider where those homes are, and if they're in suitable locations to provide for unmet demand.

That said, it probably still leaves a good chunk that could make a sizeable dent in the shortfall.

My brothers house had an empty property next to him for years. Initially it just needed new windows and minor repairs and the council were unwilling to do anything. About 15 years later it had deteriorated to such an extent that the council had to act .... and demolished it. 

hawkinspeter replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
3 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

300,000 empty homes in the UK at present - not holiday homes etc, just unused homes. I recently rode through a street near London's Docklands, all new builds, all empty; a security guard told me they'd all been bought by a Malaysian syndicate who were just holding them as an investment and didn't want the bother of tenants. Stopping that sort of thing would be a good start.

That's Capitalism for you - houses as a means of building capital rather than housing glorious workers.

Dnnnnnn replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

I'm not against the idea - though it wouldn't make much difference. Although high-profile, there are relatively few of these properties and they're fairly specific by location and type.

Under 1% of homes in London are considered long-term vacant (1%-2% for England as a whole), and most of those are vacant for under 2 years (and for a variety of reasons).

There really is a shortage of homes in places where people want to live.  With the exception of the City of London (i.e. the 'Square Mile'), the places with the highest (although still low) levels of long-term vacancy are the likes of Barrow, Blackpool, Hartlepool, Middlesborough, etc.
www.admiral.com/multicover-insurance/home-alone-2021#long-term

Eton Rifle replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
8 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

Never going to happen. The London property is a genuinely "world beating" destination for money laundering. Not going to change under these Tory crooks.

chrisonabike replied to Eton Rifle | 2 years ago
3 likes

Eton Rifle wrote:
Rendel Harris wrote:

Never going to happen. The London property is a genuinely "world beating" destination for money laundering. Not going to change under these Tory crooks.

Yay! A crookery contest!  Great TV!

It may seem that the blue team has the lead - they've some all-star players.  However they've had more time in the driving seat recently to build up bonuses (with a brief assist by the light yellows).  Also I seem to recall when the red team were last on top (although some people say they were more like maroon...) they were "intensely relaxed" about this kind of thing (to give the full quote "...as long as they pay their taxes" - which they didn't do much about) and "light touch" on regulation.  They also have (had) some talented members!

Oh - and all our recent (decades) governments have been increasingly reliant on the big accountants, "consultants" and legal firms who are doing a world-class job of serving the international rich and nasty.

mdavidford replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
1 like

Don't you mean the dark yellows? Surely the light yellows are the ones who play mostly in the Northern League?

chrisonabike replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
0 likes

I checked their colour codes and you are quite right! I stand corrected.  And I shouldn't ignore them either.  However since Mr. Salmond appears to have won all of his legal actions I wouldn't dream of bringing his name up.

mdavidford replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
1 like

The light yellows are apparently 'sunny', while the dark yellows are, amusingly, 'cheese' (or near enough).

And for an extra giggle, the first lot's website defines their signature colour as 'primary' (fair enough), but also 'warning'.

wycombewheeler replied to Bungle_52 | 2 years ago
1 like

Bungle_52 wrote:

..there are large houses, often 4 bedrooms or more,

This is quite a difficult one, how mnay of these 4 bedroom homes are occupied by old people whose children have left home? should they be obliged to leave their family home? What if the children (and grandchildren) want to visit?

Are we to draft legislation to prevent people buying large homes if they don't have children? what if they are planning to start a family

Holiday homes are also difficult, as they are in areas with not much employment other than tourism, so there needs to be a balance between places for tourists to stay and enoigh housing for permanant residents. Although a family owning a home that they only ue for 3 weeks of the year and do not rent out the rest of the time helps neither.

Bungle_52 replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

It is a very difficult one where the basic premise is to put the needs of the many before the preferences of an asset rich few. As for where will the children stay. I believe there are things called hotels available in most locations specifically designed for short term stays away from home. As for areas of low employment these are ideal for housing the retired or those working from home. The important thing to remember is that the alternative is to concrete over vast swathes of countryside and be completely reliant on food imports. I'm sure many woud argue that that is a price worth paying for maintaining individual freedoms. It just happens I'm not one of them as I will be one of those starving to death when America and Russia decide that feeding their own populations has a higher priority than feeding the UK.

wycombewheeler replied to Bungle_52 | 2 years ago
1 like

Bungle_52 wrote:

It is a very difficult one where the basic premise is to put the needs of the many before the preferences of an asset rich few. As for where will the children stay. I believe there are things called hotels available in most locations specifically designed for short term stays away from home. As for areas of low employment these are ideal for housing the retired or those working from home. The important thing to remember is that the alternative is to concrete over vast swathes of countryside and be completely reliant on food imports. I'm sure many woud argue that that is a price worth paying for maintaining individual freedoms. It just happens I'm not one of them as I will be one of those starving to death when America and Russia decide that feeding their own populations has a higher priority than feeding the UK.

I appreciate the premise about the need for housing for all to take priority over the preferences of the few, but it's how you draft these rules. I don't think the voters will support a proposal where granny gets forcibly removed from the home she has lived in for 40 years, where all her children grew up, and all new parents are told they can just stay in hotels whenever they want to visit their parents.

Concreting over vast swathes of the countryside is an exageration. Currently only 1.1% of land use in the UK is housing (with a surprising 4.8% as residential gardens) so the amount of housing could be increased by 50% without a significant impact on the amount of green space. extra 0.5% of land as housing, 1% as residential gardens. reducing agricultural land from 62.8% to 61.3%, a usage change which could be compensated by a shift towards less meat in diets, which is happening to some extent anyway. The number of homes in the country has not kept pace with rising population.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploa...

Before looking at people living in housing which the bereau considers too large for their needs we should be looking at vacant homes.

Any house which has been unoccuppied for more than 6 months without ongoing construction work should be considered available for compulsory purchase, at the price when it was last sold. (time extension for probate). Make these absent owners become landlords rather than speculators.

Similar action against developers holding on to land banks, which have been granted permission, but are being trickled into the market to maintain high prices.

The UK has not been self sufficient in food since 1850, the fact we now import a third of our food,  is not because  we have lost 1/3 of agricultural land. I don't thnk we import significant quantities of food from either russia or america, but we definitely do import too much food. Food and energy sufficiency should be a priority as being at the whim of global markets and outher countires which may or may not be benign is reckless. Reducing food wastage would make more of a difference than this 2% reduction in agricultural land. Reducing food wastage would also have a significant benefit on CO2 emissions, water scarcity, balance of trade. 

Simon E replied to Bungle_52 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Bungle_52 wrote:

Holiday homes is one area to be looked at. Many people, including myself, would love to move out of an area of high demand to live in a low employment area but prices are kept artificially high by holiday homes and second (or third) homes.

North Wales is a hotspot for holiday homes, the worst in Wales. But it's not just holiday properties, people relocating or retiring there from elsewhere, as they have done for many decades, also put significant pressure on house prices. And a "low employment area" still needs enough people of working age - council, health, utilities, retail to live and work there. People who haven't lived in a properly rural / low pop density area really don't know what it's like.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59387455

Bungle_52 wrote:

There are many unoccupied houses which could be lived in and then there are large houses, often 4 bedrooms or more, which are occupied by one person.

My beef is with the disproportionate number of 4/5 bedroom houses with big detached double garages. It's probably a reflection of the affluence of a significant proportion of local people (lots of private schools, private/inherited wealth in Shropshire) and Shrewsbury has always been expensive to rent or buy due to its popularity and the restrictions created by its geography. Developers are building so many of these impressive-looking large houses that make more money while the council does very little to help provide more affordable places to live. My kids, one now in full time work, have no hope of finding somewhere they can afford.

Bungle_52 wrote:

We have seen what reliance on global markets can lead to with the chip shortages, PPE, vaccine manufacture and most recently the energy crisis. Food will be next.

It may or may not be next but it will really bite when it happens. Climate change is already playing havoc with reliability of supply in both fresh and processed lines; add in both Covid and Brexit related logistical and staffing issues (The Grocer) and we are uncomfortably close to disaster, empty shelves, hoarding and riots than many want to believe.

Bungle_52 replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think we are about to find out.

brooksby replied to iandusud | 2 years ago
3 likes

In my village people do get very het up about 'development', while at the same time complaining that younger people have to leave.

A proposed development by the council, by way of a land trust (?) went nuclear because it was along a narrow lane and next to a lake (privately owned, rented out for fishing).  Suddenly all the people who already lived along there were up in arms because they didn't want more people living along there.  I have no idea what is happening but there's been no building there.

A large detached house in the middle of the village, in large gardens with wildlife and mature trees, was the old rectory, and was left abandoned for years before finally being sold off to a housing association.  It was demolished, and the plot is now flats and houses (there's a terrace of about eight houses, and a block of another eight or so flats), with the space in between them filled in with herringbone bricks and given entirely over to parking.

A single detached bungalow right in the middle of the village, on a corner, opposite a gun shop and a garage, has a planning application in at present to demolish and turn into a row of four terraced houses.

Two semi-detached houses had an extra house 'extended' onto the end so thet each became a mini terrace of three houses, with the garden turned over to parking.

Funny that there wasn't the same fuss about these 'infill' developments in the middle of the village as there was about building on greenfield...

Erm, I did have a point to make, sorry...

Dnnnnnn replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

In my village people do get very het up about 'development', while at the same time complaining that younger people have to leave.

And so the council finds it too difficult to put an adequate plan in place, and the area is judged to under-deliver against targets, so speculative development firms are able to force through big, poorly-designed developments in the wrong places. Which is where we started.

As an aside, I rode through many lovely villages in the Chilterns and Aylesbury Vale today. Motor traffic and the lack of visible life apart, they could have been stuck in 1922, or even 1822. Except that there's not a chance in hell that a blacksmith (etc.) could afford to live in Blacksmith's Cottage (etc.) now. Progress...?

chrisonabike | 2 years ago
4 likes

In other news, bears locked into wood-dependency by shortage of toilets.

Agree with most others. Sadly lots of these seem to be driven (around me) by "we just need chunks of money" (by council, sadly treating their capital as income) and either "maximum number of houses on plot" or "higher-value places so lets spread these out, father from the town / city" (by developer).

In the widest view it's just a large part of "continuous growth-driven economics".

I think the only difference in the case of brownfield sites is they're generally already in places so they're increasing the population density of a given place. That sometimes makes getting around without a car easier.  Greenfield sites are neutral or decrease density.  The provision of local facilities often doesn't seem to merit much attention (15 minute neighbourhoods anyone?) and transport options other than car is about the last consideration.

On the wider point I recently came across Strong Towns (via NotJustBikes) and their theory that sprawling suburban development is not just a negative but actually an addictive pattern for authorities.  We're not so far gone in the UK but might be of interest.

Simon E | 2 years ago
5 likes

It's the same story in Shrewsbury. Lots of new housing estates sprouting on the edge of town but little or no thought given for anyone wanting or needing to cycle or walk to/from them.

There is one planned very near our estate for 340 mixed houses. The main access  from the busy arterial A-road (at the southern boundary) in a 40mph zone is far too narrow and there's no slip road planned, as there is into our estate opposite. Based on the plan, I bet the pavements in the estate will be clogged with cars.

The existing pavement along the A-road to the nearby Co-Op is barely wide enough for 1 person to walk on.

There is currently very sparse public transport for the 3 miles to the town centre and, although it's 1/2 mile from the P&R situated behind the Co-Op you are not supposed to access that facility on foot or by bike (because it's so much cheaper than the ripoff Arriva buses that serve our estate). It's pathetic but most of the Tory-run council doesn't give a sh*t. If' you're not a car driver you are a nobody.

HoarseMann replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
1 like

Parking courtyards should be banned. The new estate near me that has them, hardly used, yet cars parked all over the very narrow pavements.

In this design they've got what looks to be a nicely direct cycle lane running through, devoid of pointless meanders and 90 degree turns. But it's ultimately useless as a transport solution as it doesn't connect to anything.

Simon E replied to HoarseMann | 2 years ago
3 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

Parking courtyards should be banned. The new estate near me that has them, hardly used, yet cars parked all over the very narrow pavements.

In this design they've got what looks to be a nicely direct cycle lane running through, devoid of pointless meanders and 90 degree turns. But it's ultimately useless as a transport solution as it doesn't connect to anything.

Re. shared parking - it's the same in our estate, which is older but has similarly winding, narrow streets. It seems residents and their visitors insist on parking directly outside their property, almost always on the pavement, even when the road is wide enough.

By the cycle lane do you mean the one that goes past the trees & pond (currently a footpath RoW)? That will surely be a dogsh*t alley.

I'd like to think that the streets will be tight and twisty enough to keep vehicle speeds low but IME that doesn't stop lots of people driving like dicks, pressing too hard on the loud pedal then 4 seconds later doing the same with the brake to negotiate the next corner. Selfish idiots.

HoarseMann | 2 years ago
4 likes

The new housing development in our town extends across fields right up to the secondary school. However, the original plans had no pedestrian/cycle access to the road next to the school! Kids would have been forced to walk a 1 mile detour. Thankfully sense prevailed and the council planning department ensured a path was added to the plans. But it just shows how little consideration is given to pedestrian access by the site architects.

Awavey replied to HoarseMann | 2 years ago
3 likes

Its competing goals or aims though isnt it ? developers ask architects to fit as many houses into the available land because that's how they make profit from a site.Councils are only concerned with adequate provision of basic facilities, and incentivised by potential council tax receipts. Active travel considerations are well down the list of priorities, and tick boxed by councillors who think a bit of paint on a road is adequate. Actually developing a site that promotes alternatives to cars as its prime focus costs developers/councils money/profit.

The only saving grace is the result of being this way means they provide very little space for the new home owners to even have cars, however that then leads to increased neighbour disputes and the kind of tragic outcome we saw last year.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Also on the Beeb (although that may upset folk more than the leftie guardian !!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60245980

There is a new development on the north of colchester which is supposed to have one road in and out at the north end. The south end has a bike and ped access point in the hope people will use a bike, as this entrance/exit reduces travel time. Whether this will be enough incentive...

Pages

Latest Comments