Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Canyon or upgrade 2013 Roubaix?

Hi all, new to this forum and looking for some feedback. I’ve been in and out if cycling for about 11 years (did L2P in 2011).

I have a 2013 Specialized Roubaix Triple Sport CF. The bike has 105 levers but a Tiagra groupset. I upgraded the wheels to Campagnolo Zondas a couple of years back.

Question is will I notice much of a difference in new bike tech speed/fun if I went to a Canyon Endurace CF 8.0 for example?

Looking for something that’s more ‘fun’ to ride, don’t do huge miles but also need a decent gear range and a bit of comfort hence the lean towards the endurace. I can use cyclescheme and have a budget up to £2k hence the lean towards a new bike. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Is a 2013 old tech now? Will a new bike give me back that want to get back riding? Appreciate any comments, thanks 🙏

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Cannoli | 3 years ago
0 likes

I can't speak to the comfort of the Specialized, but the Canyon Endurace, while listed as an "Endurance bike", is still an aggressive geometry (my wife has the CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 version).  Here is a solid article on different bikes and how they compare in relation to their stack/reach ratios.

https://intheknowcycling.com/buy-bikes-online-2020/

Scroll down to the three charts to compare ratios (comfort)

RafatheRed | 3 years ago
0 likes

Buy a Specialized Diverge for a fun do it all bike.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Buy the Canyon.
I can't see prices doing anything but go up once we Brexit at the end of the year.
Having said that, with C19 likely to come back with a vengeance in the winter I'd be shying away from taking on any more commitments than neccessary, regardless of whether you are buying through CycleScheme or not.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

Personally I reckon you will notice a decent difference, espexially with the weight difference. But that's a guess, I've not ridden either tbf (I have a canyon ultimate which is a hell of a lot of fun to ride)

Smackie51 replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments EddyB 👍👍

The Aero Pharaoh | 3 years ago
1 like

I can't speak directly to your Specialized but but main bike now is a Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Aero Di2 - over your budget but hopefully my observations apply to the CF 8.0 as well.

Honestly it's an absolutely fantastic bike and I've not felt any regrets about buying it earlier this year. It's fast and super comfortable, especially over the increasingly pothole covered roads that I seem to find myself on. 

I think you'd notice a significant difference, not only in comfort, but also in upgrading to a new full ultegra groupset. I think 2013 tech is getting a bit long in the tooth and hopefully a new bike will encourage you to get out more often.

Smackie51 replied to The Aero Pharaoh | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Aero, yes hoping it would be a good step up. Same old questions as everyone on sizing, I'm 5ft 7 and Canyon has me as an XS, did you order as per their sizing? 👍

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Smackie51 | 3 years ago
1 like

I have a long torso and short extremities and when I put in the measurement figures I was advised that I must have made a mistake somewhere, (which was nice to see I'm strange). I went with medium for 5ft 11 and that is fine for me but the did recommend small. 

joeegg replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a carbon Endurace with full Ultegra. My first few rides on it were underwhelming so I hung it up in the garage and went back to my old Scott CR1. 2 years on and it was time to give it a go and ride it regularly. My view has completely changed. It has the leaf spring type seatpost which does work on poor roads. The handling is sharp enough for me and better than the Scott. The spec for the money is impressive and I have had zero problems . Set up out of the box was perfect. 2 small niggles. The headset design solves a problem that doesn't exist and I am not really a fan of DT wheels. 5ft 11ins and medium is perfect.

chocim replied to Smackie51 | 3 years ago
1 like

I am 5ft 9 and have the Endurace (CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2), size S fits perfectly. Perhaps you should look at Canyon's detailed sizing charts and compare the measurements given there to the bike you already have, then you'll see whether you're closer to XS or S. The cutoff for S according to Canyon is (sorry for going metric here) 172 cm. You are around 170 cm, right? I am 174 and S feels just right, it could feel on the bigger side for you.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to The Aero Pharaoh | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was looking at DI2 on the Endurace but from the pics on the site, it looks like they leave the junction box attached to just below the handlebars rather then tucking it away neat like most bikes. Is that correct?

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
1 like

My Genesis bike came with the Di2 junction box attached like that - I think it's quite common. Rather than using the rubber band thingy to attach to your stem, you can get a headset spacer with a bracket to attach the junction box to, but it doesn't really make much difference to how neat it is.

chocim replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

On the vanilla Di2, correct. On some aero versions (not all models), it is hidden in one handlebar end. On my wife's Ultimate Aero it was in the bar end, but she swapped it for the Endurace Aero and it was under the handlebars. The Btwin Ultra CF 940 also had it under the handlebars.

matthewn5 replied to chocim | 3 years ago
0 likes

I moved my junction box to down by the bottom bracket, just below the bottle cage.

I took the cable from the front mech and plugged it into one side of the junction box, and got a 150mm cable from the junction box to the front mech. The cable from the downtube to the stem was in fact long enough to reach the left shifter, taped neatly onto the rear brake cable. Then I used a 550mm cable from the left shifter to the right shifter. Much neater! And dead easy. You can basically plug anything into anything in any order, so it's a doddle.

Latest Comments