Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike or keep bike old

Got giant tcr advanced 2 2018 model last summer put sr1 carbon wheels on done about 5k bike wheels 2k don't know to sell and get new model don't race do lot solo rides with current covid previous 1 group ride a week up to 50 miles odd hills need some advice 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

P3t3 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Wear stuff out! You can only replace it once you've earned it.

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

New bike, as Pink Floyd say, life is a short warm moment and death is a long cold rest. 

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

New bike is always the answer. The question is totally irrelevant.

Woldsman | 3 years ago
2 likes

Unless it's broken stick with what you've got. My TCR is from 2012 and I can't justify replacing it as there is no perceivable advantage to having a newer version, really. 

Daveyt | 3 years ago
0 likes

Quite honestly Jordan I think you'd simply be throwing money away. A new bike will not make you a better rider but it will make you financially poorer. I have gone through what you are going for some years but now I am happy and content that I have something of a classic bike that can perform as well as any of the latest models and in fact people say it even looks better. With a few upgrades, mostly just cosmetic because Ultegra just keeps on working, it is as good as any of the latest TCR Advanced. My bike weighs 7.3kg including pedals, sure it doesn't have the latest lightweight wheels which could save around 400gms, I haven't gone for carbon this that or the other, if I did it would be knocking on the door of the UCI weight limit. It looks fantastic, the geometry hasn't really changed so if you like the look of the bike then do a few upgrades to yours if necesary and you'll probably save enough cash to buy yourself a nice new gravel/cyclocross bike for the winter. When it comes to summer you can get your "best Bike" out while people look longingly at this classic that you have lovingly cherished.

Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
0 likes

Don't race so why have a race bike? You know you want a new one so, if you can afford it, why not? Maybe go for something a little less niche.

Latest Comments