Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Murder inquiry under way after cyclist chased by four men in Slough

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
2 likes

I saw this on the LBC Twitter feed.  They put "murdered" in the headline in speech marks, so I asked them to clarify why.

Something needs to be done about the attitude of Joe Public to cyclists.  Whilst this is at the very extreme of what we have to put up with, I can't say I am surprised and I bet most other cyclists aren't either.  From comedians making jokes, to your mates taking the piss, coppers lecturing cyclists on riding in the gutter, the judiciary letting most car criminals off with a warning if it even gets to court...

Jetmans Dad replied to Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
3 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I saw this on the LBC Twitter feed.  They put "murdered" in the headline in speech marks, so I asked them to clarify why.

"Murder" does have a specific legal definition in the UK that requires proving intent to kill or cause GBH. My assumption would be (and I have no strong feelings about LBC one way or the other) that use of the " " at this stage, while it is under investigation, is probably a lawyers advice sort of deal. 

If it was me writing the tweet I might have just gone with killed, which would be a statement of fact.

LeadenSkies replied to Jetmans Dad | 1 year ago
3 likes

I am wondering from the whole wording of the article whether the fact that the victim was a cyclist is relevant here. The way the article is worded suggests to me that it could have been a targeted attack where the victim is as sought out rather than a road rage type incident after a random minor collision. Targeting and seeking out a victim would of course mean intent to harm.

Either way, the perpetrators need to be caught and fast.

Jetmans Dad replied to LeadenSkies | 1 year ago
0 likes

LeadenSkies wrote:

I am wondering from the whole wording of the article whether the fact that the victim was a cyclist is relevant here. The way the article is worded suggests to me that it could have been a targeted attack where the victim is as sought out rather than a road rage type incident after a random minor collision. Targeting and seeking out a victim would of course mean intent to harm. Either way, the perpetrators need to be caught and fast.

Absolutely. My post was aimed more at any assumption that "Murder" might be quote marked because they were a cyclist which, even at my most cynical, seems unlikely. 

Simon_MacMichael replied to LeadenSkies | 1 year ago
1 like

LeadenSkies wrote:

I am wondering from the whole wording of the article whether the fact that the victim was a cyclist is relevant here. The way the article is worded suggests to me that it could have been a targeted attack where the victim is as sought out rather than a road rage type incident after a random minor collision. Targeting and seeking out a victim would of course mean intent to harm. Either way, the perpetrators need to be caught and fast.

This is something we have been trying to clarify with Thames Valley Police, so far without success. They have however put a section 60 order in force in part of Slough while trying to track down the perpetrators, more details here.

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news/thames-valley/news/2022/septembe...

Daveyraveygravey replied to Jetmans Dad | 1 year ago
1 like

Jetmans Dad wrote:

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

"Murder" does have a specific legal definition in the UK that requires proving intent to kill or cause GBH. My assumption would be (and I have no strong feelings about LBC one way or the other) that use of the " " at this stage, while it is under investigation, is probably a lawyers advice sort of deal. 

If it was me writing the tweet I might have just gone with killed, which would be a statement of fact.

I kind of thought that, but why then did the only use speech marks in the headline, not the actual report?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-hunt-four-suspects-in-shocking-slough-...

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
0 likes

Isn't that because the murder inquiry is happening so is factual, whether it turns out the enquiry finds that they "murdered" the cyclist is not?

Latest Comments