Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Modern vs Modern Classic bikes

Hi,

I have a 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team road bike, which I have enjoyed riding for many years. Still in great condition and plenty of life yet. It's got a Dura-Ace 7800 groupset and Ksyrium Elite UST wheelset.

Just curious to know if I could expect to go much faster by upgrading to a modern set-up. I mostly use it for hilly sportives.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/cannondale-six13-team-56cm-bike-2006

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

benji77 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both for your responses! I'll stick with my beloved Six13 without fear that it's slowing me down!

Will have a think about the aero wheels. Might invest in some lightweight ones in the future.

TheBillder | 4 years ago
3 likes

If you're faster than someone on a new bike, you get that lovely glow of "I'm faster than you because I'm more talented and look after my bike really well because I'm a mechanical guru". If you're slower than them, it's becaue they're on a fancy new bike. Either way it's win-win. And it's why my 1988 steel bike needs restoration as my 1968 corpse is not that well maintained and I'm dropped by nearly everyone without stabilisers.

lesterama | 4 years ago
1 like

I would say marginal. You would go faster in sprints with an aero bike (irrelevant for sportives) and might appreciate a wider gear range uphill. You would, I'm sure, notice the difference if you bought an aero wheelset, though.

I ride all sorts of bikes from the '70s onwards. I race modern bikes, but love my older ones best.

Latest Comments