Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gel vs. Bar: Choosing the Right Fuel for Your Cycling Journey

As a passionate cyclist, I've learned that nutrition plays a pivotal role in unlocking my best performance, whether I'm pushing myself during rigorous training sessions or competing in thrilling cycling races. Over time, I've honed my understanding of when to reach for gels and bars to ensure I have the right energy at the right moment. In this blog post, I'll share my personal insights on this topic.

Gels for Quick Energy Boosts:

For me, gels are like a secret weapon when I need a rapid energy infusion. Here's how I use them during intensive training sessions and races:

Intensive Efforts: When I'm facing steep climbs or gearing up for a final sprint, gels are my go-to choice. They provide the quick energy I need to power through these demanding moments.

Before Peak Performance: Timing matters! I make sure to consume a gel about 15-20 minutes before I expect to hit my peak effort. This gives the carbohydrates in the gel enough time to kick in and support my performance.

Immediate Energy Shortages: It's not uncommon to encounter sudden energy dips during a grueling ride. In those moments, gels are a lifesaver, offering a rapid solution to keep me going strong.

Bars for Sustained Energy:

When it comes to longer-lasting fuel, I turn to bars. They help me maintain steady energy during intensive training sessions and races:

Longer Workouts: Whether it's an all-day training ride or a lengthy race, bars are my choice for the long haul. They provide a continuous source of energy that keeps me going, no matter how many miles are ahead.

During Quieter Segments of the Ride: Even during races, there are moments when the pace slows down. This is the perfect time to grab a bar, as it ensures I have a steady energy supply for the next surge.

As a Meal Replacement: On race days with multiple stages or during lengthy training sessions, bars become a meal replacement. They're packed with the right nutrients and fuel to keep me on track.

My journey as a cyclist has taught me the importance of listening to my body and fine-tuning my nutrition strategy. During training and races, I always have a mix of gels and bars with me, allowing me to adjust based on my energy needs and the challenges of the course.

Remember, it's crucial to stay hydrated, so I make sure to drink plenty of water when consuming gels and bars. Proper hydration is key to supporting digestion and preventing dehydration.

In my cycling journey, nutrition is the key to unlocking my potential. By selecting the right gels and bars, I ensure I always have the perfect fuel to reach my cycling goals.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

jaymack | 8 months ago
2 likes

Make your own energy bars. Not convinced? Try reading this: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/sep/06/ultra-processed-foods-the-1.... If you have the time and want more information read this: https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/451300/ultra-processed-people-by-tulleke... . After which you may not want to touch an energy drink, bar or recovery product again. And before anyone says 'but I don't have time', if you've got time to train you've got time to eat properly; they really are the reverse/obverse of one another. 

Cugel | 8 months ago
0 likes

Shooly sum mush-take.  There's no mention of how much UPF is in the gelly. It might even be 100% UPF, for all we know! It's important to understand how much cancer and other ill health-causing goo one is sucking from the piece of litter.

Which reminds me.  How much ecological and biological damage is the gel-litter going to cause?  We need to know so we can arrange a personal cucumber-offset planting schedule for each and every gel-wrapper tossed to the verge, as we picture ourselves winning the Tour de Nowhere.

Judge dreadful | 8 months ago
1 like

I'm constantly surprised by the amount of riders I see, who clearly don't understand how to take a gel, to make it work, as intended. In order for it to work properly, a standard sized gel ( for arguments sake a normal sized SIS type gel) it really needs to be washed down with about 400mls of fluid. The actualities depend on various riding conditions, but as a rule of thumb, I rarely see people drinking enough fluid, to make the gel work as effectively as it should. 

mark1a replied to Judge dreadful | 8 months ago
1 like

Judge dreadful wrote:

I'm constantly surprised by the amount of riders I see, who clearly don't understand how to take a gel, to make it work, as intended. In order for it to work properly, a standard sized gel ( for arguments sake a normal sized SIS type gel) it really needs to be washed down with about 400mls of fluid. The actualities depend on various riding conditions, but as a rule of thumb, I rarely see people drinking enough fluid, to make the gel work as effectively as it should. 

The example you give of SiS - they're specifically designed not to be required to be consumed with additional water.

Rendel Harris | 8 months ago
5 likes

Is there a handy guide I could stick on my top tube to remind me what nutrition I should take when? Perhaps one with free worldwide shipping?

mark1a replied to Rendel Harris | 8 months ago
3 likes

I wouldn't pay any more than £14 for a pack though.

quiff replied to mark1a | 8 months ago
2 likes

I'd want at least three for that much.

jaymack replied to Rendel Harris | 8 months ago
3 likes

What a good idea!

Latest Comments