Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chafing etc. Do new shorts/pads 'bed in'?

Hi folks,

I've been a bit of a one-track record recently trying to figure out why two new pairs of shorts from well regarded manufacturers, both pairs with consistently good reviews, have been causing me some discomfort through chafing.

I wondered about sizing but both pads fit snugly with little movement, and I'm right in the middle of the manufacturer's suggested sizing, so no worries there.

One pair of shorts has a pad that is almost identical to the pad in a six year old pair of shorts that I ride in relative comfort (any discomfort due to thin-ness of old pad, not chafing) so I don't think it's pad shape.

I can only imagine perhaps that new pads are thicker, so maybe cause more chafing where they are forced to fold, or do new pads wear in slightly, e.g. does the surface get smoother with repeated application of friction?

Also, does skin toughen up? I've had a bit of a break from riding due to surgery and back issues but have built back up to 5-6hrs a week, so unless the chafing is cumulative I wouldn't expect to suddenly start suffering now.

I've ordered some chamois creme but I've never had to rely on it in the past and don't want to get 'hooked' if I can avoid it.

Anything else I've not thought of?

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Achtervolger | 4 years ago
1 like

I wouldn't worry too much about getting addicted to it, as it were. I've used chamois cream for a few years now, and I do remember wondering when I started if it would end up being a significant extra expenditure, as I cycle quite a lot and I thought I might be getting through lots of it. But I only feel like I need it for longer rides (say over a couple of hours), or if I'm racing.

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Savlon....much cheaper.  Just as good.  Not as addictive  1

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Your skin wont toughen up, you will rub yourself raw to the point that you wont be able to ride any more.

I have had a similar problem with a pair of shorts and a pair of 3/4 length tights, both the same manufacturer and both the same size, the shorts are excellect, the 3/4s are going in the bin, they rub me so badly that after 35-40 minutes they are un usable.

IanEdward replied to Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ha, weird, same for me, the 6 year old 3/4s are fine, the new short shorts are super-chafey.

Think I need to work around the problem, as much as I tell myself 'I'm worth it' I can't afford to keep buying new pairs of bibs at £85 a pop!

Am taking a week off to let the skin recover then will start over with the chamois cream...

Cargobike | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think you've answered your own question.

You've taken an enforced break due to surgery and back pain? It'll take time to get back to normal. Chamois creme should be part of the process to getting back to normal. I very much doubt you'll end up "hooked" on it.

Give it time.....

IanEdward replied to Cargobike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, although I've built back up over 8 or 9 weeks (Veloviewer.com is really useful for tracking weekly time/distance in saddle) in short bursts (lockdown restrictions etc.) so don't feel like I've been silly, after all, recovering from back surgery doesn't let you just leap back into centuries!

The chafing issue definitely co-incided with the new shorts, but I think they've just highlighted an existing issue in my position or riding style. I've moved my saddle back 1cm recently without correspondingly lowering it, which might have been a mistake. 

I also wonder if my core/glutes etc. have lost strength due to my layoff and that's somehow causing a change in posture on the saddle.

Either way, solution seems to be patience and chamois cream! Will persevere with the new shorts as I can't really afford to keep buying new pairs and suspect I'd drive myself round the bend trying to find the perfect pair! (although I'm seriously tempted to try one size larger in Castelli, so maybe just one more pair... smiley ).

Ta

Latest Comments