Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

The case for four-colour traffic signals

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

chrisonabike | 1 month ago
2 likes

How would this accommodate the visual systems of cyclists as I learned from posters here they're not able to perceive red light?

Was also wondering if someone has modelled a computer vision system on that of bees - and perhaps the 4th light would be a non-human- visible UV one (or more realistically IR) for benefit of the robots? That could then be pulsed / polarised to send more information without distracting humans?

newbankgyratory | 1 month ago
7 likes

No more colours. There should be more states instead:

Flashing amber - Minimal traffic - All road users proceed with caution.

Steady red, amber, green - Expected traffic volumes - Obey signals.

Pulsing red, amber, green - Congestion exists. Return motor vehicle to parking/garage, proceed using active travel methods only.

chrisonabike replied to newbankgyratory | 1 month ago
3 likes

I might have missed it, but what about "established red"?

I don't think we need more states - we need more phases / "smarter" lights.

And "leading pedestrian signals".  (And possibly "early cycle release" although IMHO this is another sign of 2nd or 3rd class infra *).

That may collide with our existing road traffic rules though, like if there's a green light for you then you can normally proceed in any direction.  Perhaps this can change though?  I'm thinking about the latest Highway Code guidance tweaks around traffic turning into a side road letting crossing pedestrians / cyclists going straight on do so.

* Early cycle release - there are a few now here in Edinburgh.  The UK seems to use these where in NL they'd likely have completely separated bike paths - with their own lights if even needed.  These seem to appear where we have Advanced Stop Lines / bike boxes - and I don't see lots of ASLs in NL...

chrisonabike | 1 month ago
7 likes

More colours?  But we only need green!  These traffic lights are woke!

jaymack | 1 month ago
5 likes

Would this be a computer model designed by the same sort of people who brought us those revolutionary and super safe driverless car thingies by any chance ?

Latest Comments