Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Path to be built on Flood Plain

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

TheBillder | 3 years ago
1 like

At first sight though, it's perhaps better than nothing. How many days is the plain flooded per year? If the alternative is mixing with buses and lorries with magic painted lines for protection, I'd be happier with any improvement.

Simon E replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

TheBillder wrote:

At first sight though, it's perhaps better than nothing. How many days is the plain flooded per year?

Add on the number of days the path is blocked by silt, debris and even trees washed down by the Derwent, which often has raised levels in winter. Then consider that flooding and extreme weather events appear to becoming more frequent.

So where should cyclist go on the days when it's flooded?

A raised route may make more sense but will surely cost considerably more money.

Who would it serve? Is it genuinely useful or is this a box-ticking exercise?

Hirsute replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was wondering about the cost earlier.

You put it out to tender or it comes under a Schedule of Rates for an existing contract. If the area floods, then how long will it take to build it? There will have to be built in a number of days or even weeks of non production which will raise the cost. Then the maintenance will be higher once built.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of total cost of ownership with building one conventionally and perhaps having to buy some land parcels with the proposed one over a 20 or 25 year life span.

Latest Comments