Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2009 Pro racing highlight

I just wanted to start a thread on what has been you pro racing highlight of 2009.

I know we have a couple of weeks to go and the Tour of Lombardy is always a highlight but it is always nice to get the debate going.

I have started working on my analysis for my blog page but here are some to get started...

Cav at Milan San Remo (a great start to a stella season for the UK)
Twiggo at the Tour de France (unexpected and awesome)
East Midlands Cicle Classic (great racing, great weather and actually in Britain!)
The Tour series (City Centre Cycling, took me back to my youth, all it needed was Joey McGloughlin and Chris Walker duelling it out and I would have been back to my school days).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

James Warrener | 14 years ago
0 likes

I missed Cancellara in the TT so I can't comment on that but I am standing by my punts. Even Phil Gilberts stunning last week of the season isn't going to change my mind.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Cancellara again, he is quite an awesome bike handler: the Tour prologue win - he won it on the descents, that descent Dave mentioned, the Worlds TT and his relentless attacking during the world road race.

Cavendish winning Milan San Remo - that was an amazine achievement in many ways more difficult than his Tour wins and probably harder to replicate.

My favourite bit of riding though was Thor Hushovd at the Tour when he rode off the front to cross the Colombiere first and take the points that effectively sealed his green jersey win, I just thought it was a really impressive display of power, skill, and tactical nous.

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

Stijn Devolder going clear and winning the Tour of Flanders for the second year was pretty impressive.

Bouncing off the walls as Mark Renshaw led Cav out of that last corner for Cav to win on the Champs Elysees.

We have had some great Pro Racing in Blackpool this year. The highlight? Rob Hayles winning the Blackpool leg of the Tour Series.

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

For me it was either Cancellara (various moments through the season but mainly the tt worlds, being able to coast the last 250m arms in the air is ridiculous!)

Also being there to see the sheer speed of cav in the sprint on the milan special stage of the giro. Incredible.

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

For me this year it was the tour of Flanders. Mainly because I was there to watch and rode the route the day before.

Brad in the tour, Cancellera and Cadel in the Worlds were big highlights.

Also enjoyed the tour series on tv, only saw last 4/5 races but it was excellent racing, hopefully on again in 2010.

Simon_MacMichael | 14 years ago
0 likes

Been a few "wow" moments this year - one, when the TDF peloton split due to the wind way into La Grande Motte; another, Philip Deignan fighting it out for the Vuelta stage win in Toledo; also the Rabobank rider Kai Reus who came back from injury to win the ToB stage into Gateshead. And of course Wiggo in the TDF and pretty much anything Cav did this year.

But for me, the highlight, totally unexpected because of who it was (but with hindsight shouldn't have been given he lives there so knows the roads and would put everything in to win) was Cadel's attack in the World Championships and the realisation that he'd timed it to perfection and was heading for the rainbow jersey.

Hands up who had him down as winner as the race entered the closing 5km?

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

Cancellara for me too, but for his extraordinary descending in the tour after he punctured. Undertaking motorbike outriders at 50mph on blind bends when there's a wall on one side and a sheer drop on the other. that takes some cojones...

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I was genuinely in awe of Cancellara's World TT performance, it's not usually the greatest spectators sport, but he was poetry in motion.

It has been said that I have a bit of a 'man crush' for Fab though!

Latest Comments