Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

How NOT to handle yourself

How not to handle yourself when you are faced with a close pass while cycling.

YES, toot you horn, but confronting an unknown individual after they have brake tested you, then shouting law's at them....not a good move.

If that happens, take a moment and let them drive off, don't immediately get on your bike and power after them. Its only going to lead to further confrontation.

Opinions on this video please

http://youtu.be/QpT_-_QlQZI

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

Bishop | 9 years ago
0 likes

Link broken..... "Private Video"

freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Driver and cyclist in question should both be sectioned. They do neither community drivers or cyclists any favours.

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just a minor point, if you chase after a car like our friend above did, it is possible that the driver could claim to feel threatened and if a physical altercation ensues, he may well claim he acted in self defense.

Bottom line, there is no upside in arguing with an idiot.

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

First off, did anyone notice the cyclist is riding down the middle of the road? He even rides over the arrow in the middle of the road, and I can see no pot holes on what seems a very well maintained piece of road....So he's basically inviting cars to overtake close to him.

I don't think there is any doubt this guy is a prize act. The driver is an idiot too, and they deserve each other. When is the wedding?

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

"I also don't know about your emphasis on the possibility of the guy becoming a victim of criminal violence.

The logic of that attitude seems to be might-is-right - that the morality of an action is determined by who has the greater physical strength, and that it would be OK for the cyclist to be confrontational as long as said cyclist were good at fighting or armed himself first!"

No, that IS NOT what I said - or wrote. If you confront a driver with the aggression shown by the cyclist in the video - you can surely expect comeback of a physical nature. That is a given.

It is NOT about "might being right". It is about being sensible in the face of a potential conflict that could well result in physical injury - yours, as the vulnerable cyclist. Doesn't matter how strong you are - if you are on a cycle you are very vulnerable to drivers who make threats to knock you off, or run you over - as this driver did. Would you really take that risk ... and provoke the driver still further by abusing him to his face and calling him a coward? I seriously think not - no matter how big you are, or how good a fighter you may be.

The driver, as I said, was a bit close. It happens all the time. But only a fool would pursue it as this cyclist chose to - and look for trouble - as he seemed to want to.

Ask yourself this: was the cyclist's response either rational or reasonable?

If you think it was, then good for you. Go ahead and try it his way sometime and see what happens...

FluffyKittenofT... replied to comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes
comm88 wrote:

"

If you think it was, then good for you. Go ahead and try it his way sometime and see what happens...

Where did I say anything about the cyclist's response being (or not being) reasonable?

(I note at least one post above seems to imply the guy may have mental health issues.)

But you repeat the very element that I disliked in your comment the first time!

I'm not a violent person. But if I were, if I were an enthusiastic street-fighter, or someone who carried a gun, your comment above wouldn't really work, would it?

Do you truly not see the problem I have with that comment? Its focussing not on someone's morality, but their lack of competence at violence, as if _that_ is the reason not to be confrontational, rather than because its morally wrong.

And it seems to be implicitly approving of hypothetical violence from the motorist even while it condemns the aggression of the cyclist.

If you had simply said that doing what this cyclist did would create an ugly confrontation that won't do either party any good and might lead to one or both getting hurt, then I'd agree. But you sounded close to taking glee in the idea of the motorist being violent to the cyclist and the latter not being up to it.

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thnx for the non sequitur FluffyKittenOff - your comment makes no sense at all since you have made a derivative from a premise that wasn't even mooted!

You ask: "Did the pedestrian who once mugged me shame all pedestrians?"

Did you ASK the pedestrian to mug you? I think not. Therefore, in what way does the mugger shame all, pedestrians? That comment truly is nonsense!

You didn't ask for trouble - it found you.

The cyclist had a choice - let it go or be provocative ... and risk serious assault.

To my mind - and that of a great many others - he made a (very) bad choice. And that choice reflects on all other cyclists because it makes motorists think we are all a bunch of aggressive dickheads who are looking for confrontation! Comprendez?

0 likes
comm88 wrote:

Thnx for the non sequitur FluffyKittenOff - your comment makes no sense at all since you have made a derivative from a premise that wasn't even mooted!

You ask: "Did the pedestrian who once mugged me shame all pedestrians?"

Did you ASK the pedestrian to mug you? I think not. Therefore, in what way does the mugger shame all, pedestrians? That comment truly is nonsense!

You didn't ask for trouble - it found you.

The cyclist had a choice - let it go or be provocative ... and risk serious assault.

To my mind - and that of a great many others - he made a (very) bad choice. And that choice reflects on all other cyclists because it makes motorists think we are all a bunch of aggressive dickheads who are looking for confrontation! Comprendez?

I can make no sense of this reply whatsoever. It doesn't relate to what I said in any way. What on Earth are you talking about 'did you ask him to mug you'? What?

Why does this incident 'reflect on all other cyclists' when the behaviour of the pedestrian who mugged me doesn't 'reflect on all other pedestrians'? Why does this hive-mind group-representation stuff only apply to cyclists not to any other mode of travel?

The killers of poor Lee Rigby were motorists - they hit him with a car. Did their action 'reflect shame on all motorists'?

This 'reflect shame' stuff is complete and utter rubbish.

sihall34 replied to comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes
comm88 wrote:

And that choice reflects on all other cyclists because it makes motorists think we are all a bunch of aggressive dickheads who are looking for confrontation! Comprendez?

I have to say I don't really agree with this, it's the same argument that red light jumpers and pavement cyclists mean all cyclists break the law. Simple people may group us together in one collective and tarnish us with the same brush but that is wrong, the guy in the video is aggressive and it seems he is out for confrontation but that can't mean we all are, and anyone who infers it is generalising.

I'm not sure I agree with everything FluffyKitten is saying but I kind of understand the point regarding the pedestrians, just because one mugged her (and made the decision to do so if you will), doesn't mean all pedestrians are muggers. If you replace cyclist with another minority and generalise in the same way, people would be up in arms so why should one cyclist's stupid actions (or a small group of people who ride bikes) mean that motorists think I will do the same because I am using the same mode of transport that day? Comprendez?

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Think I'm with the majority on this one - the cyclist was out looking for trouble, and guess what? He found it.

Yes the guy in the car acted like a thug, but you don't go out armed with video cameras on sticks ready to quote infringements of the highway code at fellow road users, and not expect Ann argument!

jasecd | 10 years ago
0 likes

The driver was a dick no doubt but the cyclists was over-reacting - the pass was illegal but you get these all day long. We all know there is no reasoning with some of the selfish arseholes you see on the road - better to take a deep breath and calm down than go looking for confrontation.

I make films for a living and I have a few wearable cameras but I never use them in the city - I've considered it but on balance I think it puts you in a confrontational mindset like the cyclist here.

He should have a think about his attitude - fuelling the fire of the them vs. us mentality.

bashthebox replied to jasecd | 9 years ago
0 likes
jasecd wrote:

I make films for a living and I have a few wearable cameras but I never use them in the city - I've considered it but on balance I think it puts you in a confrontational mindset like the cyclist here.

Likewise. I think the main reason I don't use them is because the footage is 99.9% fucking dull. I have to deal with enough people providing me with yawnsome footage when I work to have the energy to do anything with boring gopro footage when I get home.
Punishment passes, bad driving, etc - generally I just give them a shout and a hand signal and try not to think about it too much afterwards. Such is life, maybe they go home to a miserable home and hate themselves. Let's assume they do.

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Okay, the car driver was a bit close, but it wasn't a life threatening issue - the cyclist turned it into one. There are drivers out there who would not have stopped at the point of the cyclist's verbal barrage and continued harassment. They simply would have smacked him good and hard and kicked three bells out of him on account of his whingeing confrontation.

As a cyclist, you simply cannot behave like that - not if you want to live a good, healthy and active life! Sorry, but I have no sympathy with the cyclist. He shames us all.  20

0 likes
comm88 wrote:

Okay, the car driver was a bit close, but it wasn't a life threatening issue - the cyclist turned it into one. There are drivers out there who would not have stopped at the point of the cyclist's verbal barrage and continued harassment. They simply would have smacked him good and hard and kicked three bells out of him on account of his whingeing confrontation.

As a cyclist, you simply cannot behave like that - not if you want to live a good, healthy and active life! Sorry, but I have no sympathy with the cyclist. He shames us all.  20

Have to say I can't comprehend this attitude. Where does this come from? This notion that cyclists are some sort of collective group and everyone of them has to hold to higher standards than motorists would ever dream of, for fear of 'letting the side down'?

Its nonsense.

Did the pedestrian who once mugged me shame all pedestrians?

0 likes
comm88 wrote:

I also don't know about your emphasis on the possibility of the guy becoming a victim of criminal violence.

The logic of that attitude seems to be might-is-right - that the morality of an action is determined by who has the greater physical strength, and that it would be OK for the cyclist to be confrontational as long as said cyclist were good at fighting or armed himself first!

Either the guy's behaviour was, in itself, morally acceptable or it wasn't - its not dependent on who would win in any subsequent fight!

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

Couldn't agree more. There is absolutely no need to go looking for trouble on a bike. It's already hard enough to avoid it and even then I have still managed to encounter nutters ready to dish out wanton violence. As Botham put it, the trouble with fighting is that it's a choice between hospital and prison food, neither of which appeal.

OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes

So you get cut up by someone driving aggressively who beeps his horn as he does so. Said aggressive driver then turns out to be shaven headed and young and just as aggressive out of his car as in.

So let's be honest, this buffoon on a bike was lucky not to be attacked and given a heavy beating.

There are a lot of crap, aggressive drivers out there. But there are some aggressive cyclists too and he's one of those, going by this footage.

Sending footage of crap driving to the cops may or may not result in them doing anything about it. But contacting the Cycling Silk for advice might have a little more effect. However, shouting at oiks in cars won't change them from being oiks. And they might also hit out, hard.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think I've seen this guy on the Edgeware road when I was walking to Kilburn Station.

HE IS A MENTAL NUTTER

He shouts at pedestrians, shouts at busses, shouts at cars, shouts at cyclists, shouts at the road, shouts at himself, shouts at children, shouts at police cars, shouts at traffic lights, shouts at trains, shouts at yellow lines, shouts at young mothers, shouts at teddy bears, shouts at noodles, shouts at puppies, shouts at youtube videos, shouts at shoes, shouts at cookies etc. etc. etc.

If you have like... 20 go pro cameras on your bike then you've taken it too far.

Must be a full time job uploading, watching and editing all the footage, even from a ten minute ride.

Can't help but feel that he's waiting for something to happen just so he can get it on film and the upload it to his youtube account.

Weird also how in that video he only had one camera view...

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have a wee look at his stream on you tube. I think he is now up to six cameras on his person/bike. The only reason he doesn't get smacked is because the individual will then need to take all the cams

md6 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I get the impression he goes looking for confrontation, and obviously gets it. I'm not sure i've ever had a driver that aggressive to get out of the car to go at me. I try not to confront like that as in cleats i'm like bambi but there have been times when i have not managed to hold my temper. I wouldn't have had the control he showed if someone got out and shoved me if i was still on my feet that is...

Vili Er | 10 years ago
0 likes

And don't cycle with a GoPro on the end of a stick. That's got to be illegal. A pair of twits.

0 likes

I generally find the one's in 'Baby BMW's' i.e. Mini's are among the worst as well.

0 likes

Both passes were also illegal. The first should have been completed before the zig zag lines and the twat was all over the crossing.

Bob's Bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

whilst I think that not confronting the driver but just handing the film into the police will (unfortunately) not do any good as the police will take a look at it go ho hum then if you're lucky wait 40 days before telling you over the phone that they will not be persuing the matter further.

I would not have done what this cyclist has done it could have ended very tragically.

severs1966 replied to Bob's Bikes | 9 years ago
0 likes
FATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:

... just handing the film into the police will .. not do any good as the police will take a look at it go ho hum then if you're lucky wait 40 days before telling you over the phone that they will not be pursuing the matter further.

This also applies if you have been deliberately run over, with both incriminating footage a large collection of witnesses. The police will solidly remain in the "do nothing" position for nearly all offences where the victim is on a bicycle. If you receive a phone call to actually tell you that the police will do nothing, that counts as "going far above and beyond the call of duty" for most police forces.

Unless you are dead, the police will do nothing unless you (the victim) are actually a cop yourself, in which case the police will throw the book at the driver.

If you are dead, they might look into the matter, especially if there were other victims and the driver was drunk and the car was stolen.

If you are famous and dead, the police will act after the story is in a few newspapers or on TV.

pants | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should not bother trying to reason with if they are driving any of the following make of cars:

Vauxhall
BMX
Mercedes
Audi - the last three usually five years or older old and come with tinted windows.

Latest Comments