Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BSA / Raleigh BB

Hi,

I'm building up an old BSA Javelin. It's hardly a looker, but it's mine! Anyway...

Having removed the BB, I now have to source a new one (I should, probably, have done this research beforehand!). I understand that these are 1" with a 26 tpi thread. Does anyone know a place where I can get one of these?

I may be back for more advice as the build unfolds....

Sorry!  29

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Jimbonic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Because I made some progress, photos of the Javelin...

It's far from a complete bike, yet. But, it's getting there. I've run out of money this month, so the crankset and levers that I need will have to wait. I think I've managed to bodge up - sorry correctly re-assemble! the BB from some bits off my shelves. So, I can give myself some time to source a more betterererer BB.

I should have it complete by the time it snows!!  40

PS: sorry for the unrotated photo - need to get back to doing some proper work, so it'll stay like that. Look at it as encouraging some impromptu yoga.....

Jimbonic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

Thanks, Phil. I'll give them a call and see what they've got.

I've had a rummage around and found an old axle and a couple of bearings that look like they're up to the job. That should get me on the road. But, I've mostly found that my attempts in that department don't exactly replicate factory-built!

If I can get this finished at some time before the next ice age, I'll pop some photos up somewhere and you can reminisce - or grimace!  35

I've nearly gathered all my bits. Just need to sort this BB, get a crankset (square taper single 46-50t should do it), sort out how to make the brakes fit / work and find a way of operating them (levers are the usual approach, I believe!). Then, all I have to do is nail it all together and rip up the roads.....

Cheers

pauldmorgan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good luck! I had a Javelin through my teenage years and loved it. Resprayed and rebuilt it every summer. Would kind of like one now!

earbyphil | 10 years ago
0 likes

Jimbonic. Have you tried www.recyke-y-bike.org their "box under the counter" is huge, in fact it's a whole storeroom full and it's a good cause.

Latest Comments