Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Forum Look

Ahhh Everything has changed!

I love change, but everything is so large now, i liked the compactness of the old forum pages.
Can only see a few posts or comments at a time, i feel like i've got my monitor set up to preschool!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

52 comments

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can't get my Strava charts to work in my signature... what's gone wrong ?

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just realised there is now a like button for posts!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is what the new look looks like to me, for reference this is on my nexus 7 which is how I usually access the site.

The style is great but the actual content I come to the forum for is tiny and I cannot resize it, this is the smallest text will go. Just resizing the page elements would go a long way to helping and I'm not sure what changed but on the old site I could zoom in/out to my hearts content to resize the text to my liking, now I can't zoom out further than this.

I've also added a comparison of the old style using the fantasy pages to give some context.

enrique replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

This is what the new look looks like to me...

Nice comparison... If I could set it up these are the pages I'd show for comparison with today's forum layout:

http://web.archive.org/web/20121101002304/http://road.cc/content/forum/6...

http://web.archive.org/web/20130218130455/http://road.cc/forums/fantasy-...

Anybody know how to display these pages or screenshots of them here in the forum like drheaton just did? Do you have to use the img tags? Any explanation would be useful...

I really don't think there was anything wrong about the old layout. This one looks just a little more modern, but I think its only because of the color scheme and its use of a bigger bolder maybe more modern font. I don't think it adds anything but a more fresh look because of the colors... I preferred the other layout...

It is functioning a little differently than the other forum, though, it isn't just a cosmetic change, is it? Was it changed for the different functionality or just to modernize the look and feel?

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

You used to be able to click to the topic just before and after the one you were viewing within just the Fantasy Cycling section of the forum?

simon F replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

You used to be able to click to the topic just before and after the one you were viewing within just the Fantasy Cycling section of the forum?

This appears to be back but... it seems to be all topics, not just the ones in the current subforum so still not that useful.

monica | 10 years ago
0 likes

I liked the old forum better... A lot easier to read...

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Much better.

Only people with Post counts over 1000 are taken seriously.

Everyone... get used to it.

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorry guys but this is awful......Nothing wrong with how it was.....  20

netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

The post author details seems to take up far more space than it needs to.

act1969 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Arrgh my eyes! what font is it supposed to be...

??? with a nasty hint of cleartype

benji p | 10 years ago
0 likes

Woh... not really thrilled... something's off... Kind of liked the old look better...

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

might strip the inside sidebar out of the forum pages. quite a lot of threads don't have tags so a lot of the time it's redundant

cactuscat | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

can we put everything back to the way it was?

i'm guessing not, eh

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

ohhh I like the read newest post button. very useful when on a mobile device and reading the exceptionally long forum scorum thread  41

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

i liked the compactness of the old forum pages... Can only see a few posts or comments at a time,

Yeah, I agree... Is it possible to make the text on the page smaller like before? I kind of find the new light blue font really hard to read too...

drheaton wrote:

... the comment area feels cramped and small, it also makes it harder to flick through and read comments because they take up much more space....

Ditto.

drheaton wrote:

... the old charm is lost...

Yeah... I kind of like the old one better... This scheme feels like the site is about clouds or it has something to do with dreaming or it's about angels or something ethereal with its pale blue sky look and its light blue font...  1

By the way, it took me a while to find the Fantasy Cycling link... why is it off to the right all by itself?...  7

enrique replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

... I kind of find the new light blue font really hard to read too...

So much better with the darker font... Thanks... How about a smaller font, too, so we can read more of a page without having to scroll down?... Although maybe it's not the size of the font, maybe these comment boxes are just bigger and occupy more space on the page... There seems to be a pretty big white strip of space to the right of the comment boxes which seems empty and unused... Is it meant for ads?... I don't know.. I just find myself scrolling much more than with the former layout... Thanks!...

0 likes
enrique wrote:

... There seems to be a pretty big white strip of space to the right of the comment boxes...

Well, that's gone  1

enrique wrote:

... How about a smaller font, too, so we can read more of a page without having to scroll down?...

Ok, a smaller font, too!  1 Ok, how about maybe changing the light blue color of every other comment box? Kind of hard to get used to and a little hard to read...

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

... the old charm is lost...

enrique wrote:

Yeah... I kind of like the old one better... This scheme feels like the site is about clouds or it has something to do with dreaming or it's about angels or something ethereal with its pale blue sky look and its light blue font...  1

I just realized the new format is also on the site main page. Shows you how much I look at the main site, I guess. I hate to say this to people whose work I really admire, but, I think the site lost a little of its edginess with the new colors and layout... I feel bad admitting it 'cause I know criticism can hurt...

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I do like the new style though, the text and colours are nice (although a little of the old charm is lost in the new crisp design).

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

In the forums at least the comment area feels cramped and small, it also makes it harder to flick through and read comments because they take up much more space. Annoyingly on my tablet I cannot zoom out and make the text smaller, the default appears to be smallest I can make things and I can only make text bigger.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like it, but your right the screen seems bigger which ultmately helps old buggers like me  21

Pages

Latest Comments