Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road.cc new look discussion thread

Its new, blue, and not instantly off putting; I might get to like it.
Though comments now take up much more room; my scrolling finger might get tired.

argg.. and if you click on the recent comments it takes you to the thread not the comment itself.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

108 comments

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

The like button is an obvious boon.

Mrs. Pranita Ag... | 10 years ago
0 likes

I approve!  8  4

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Chaps I went to start a thread on the retirement of Kloden but am being given the message that I'm not allowed to post new threads in any forum.

What's up with that?

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave.

jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just noticed: when you hover over images on the front page, "Buyers_Guide" has an underscore in the middle. Is that deliberate?

Jonomc | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's maybe more 'modern' visually, however I don't find it as intuitive as previous incarnations and find it all feels a bit tabloid. I feel any upgrade should bring more than aesthetics and I am yet to find it with the new site.

Super Domestique replied to PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

But do we need the smiley panel, really?

105  102  24  103  16 I'd say so.

dave atkinson replied to Tonnio | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tonnio wrote:

Site is looking good, but where's the RSS feed link gone?
I'm looking but not seeing it, I know that the feed still works but I'm moving from one reader to another and I can't add Road.cc

I'll look into that

dave atkinson replied to Bob's Bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes
FATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:

Some people on here have said they approve of the like button thingy, but why not have a dislike option as well to get a balanced response.

because like i said, this isn't the daily mail  3

simply put, we'll be using the voting data later on as part of a larger redesign of the user section. people get very protective of their ratings, and also they have their own pet hates. if you have a mark down, people use it to a) keep their rating above someone else's and b) automatically mark down anything that someone they don't like says.

James Warrener replied to jova54 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Really good on moby. Can use it really clearly.

dave atkinson replied to Caroline Dodgson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Caroline Dodgson wrote:

Not sure why there is a distinction between tech and reviews as headers, as the tech page has reviews on it too?

because tech isn't just reviews?

sm replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

you should still be able to:

http://road.cc/node/add/forum

even though it says you can't

Sounds like the "mother mode" plugin has been installed!

Ah yes, that worked although I couldn't choose the forum category so assume it's gone into a third dimension? http://road.cc/content/forum/96004-help-overtraining-advice-resting

sm replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

should be able to add stuff again now. and choose a forum sections.

Bingo, thank you. And sorry for dragging you onto the late shift!

Super Domestique replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Because of the inability to see last post column I mentioned before I've stuck with the m.road.cc version on my phone. However, now, on the news stories, I get all the set up wording every time I open one.

For e.g.: main pic node, carousel number, blah blah blah.

Anyone else?

Any update on either of these?

dave atkinson replied to Marauder | 10 years ago
0 likes
Marauder wrote:

What are the differences with the options Responsive and Full Width at the top of then page. Have tried both and I can't see anything different  39

tried both on what kind of platform? if it's a desktop, they won't do anything

dave atkinson replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Chaps I went to start a thread on the retirement of Kloden but am being given the message that I'm not allowed to post new threads in any forum.

What's up with that?

dunno. fixed now tho

dave atkinson replied to jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gizmo_ wrote:

Just noticed: when you hover over images on the front page, "Buyers_Guide" has an underscore in the middle. Is that deliberate?

nah. it's on the fix list though  3

Marauder replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Desktop yes, thanks for clarification.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

we'll be monitoring whose posts get liked, and if you don't get any stars in the next six months we'll come round and smother you while you sleep  3

Sadly Biggins replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

we'll be monitoring whose posts get liked, and if you don't get any stars in the next six months we'll come round and smother you while you sleep  3

I think it will take you too long to get to North Essex from Bath to smother me. Linda Lusardi apparently lives quite close by though. Anything you can do to get her on the team?

dave atkinson replied to Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sadly Biggins wrote:

I think it will take you too long to get to North Essex from Bath to smother me. Linda Lusardi apparently lives quite close by though. Anything you can do to get her on the team?

we met linda lusardi at a bike polo game hosted by bob wilson. true fact.

Super Domestique replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

Make sure people can't like there own posts then  3

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

The main problem seems to be that people insist on using mobile phones to browse websites. Get a proper computer!

(just kidding, folks)

I find the new colours a bit 'bathroom' themed after the cream & blue which always felt easy on the eye, but I'm sure it will be fine after I've got accustomed to it.

+1 for the Like button, but why no rollseyes emoticon (my favourite!) ?

dave atkinson replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

+1 for the Like button, but why no rollseyes emoticon (my favourite!) ?

everyone's a critic  29

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

Really? I was only commenting on BR the other day how cluttered their home page seemed to be and how hard navigation had become.

Luminosity | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hmm. The problem with many responsive websites is that they're pretty bland and uniform design-wise. That's where the old site stood out - great on my PC and distinctive from other cycling websites but, obviously, not so great on mobile devices. When I looked at road.cc today I immediately thought I'd stumbled onto BR by mistake.  17

dave atkinson replied to Luminosity | 10 years ago
0 likes
Luminosity wrote:

Hmm. The problem with many responsive websites is that they're pretty bland and uniform design-wise. That's where the old site stood out - great on my PC and distinctive from other cycling websites but, obviously, not so great on mobile devices. When I looked at road.cc today I immediately thought I'd stumbled onto BR by mistake.  17

the actual layout of the site has barely changed at all. we've taken the carousel out and done quite a lot of work on the section pages, boxes, etc to make them more user-friendly, and signposting throughout the site is more consistent. oh, and it's not yellow.

Luminosity replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

the actual layout of the site has barely changed at all. we've taken the carousel out and done quite a lot of work on the section pages, boxes, etc to make them more user-friendly, and signposting throughout the site is more consistent. oh, and it's not yellow.

Dave - you've lost the stars and the yellow. Quite liked the carousel too. Perhaps more importantly we now have larger text (great for mobile devices, looks a bit Daily Mail on my screen - sorry!) Could you not use a Google or Cufon font for the header nav bars?

I know this is complaining about change which is easy - but compare the front page with the old and they are different and it was the difference that made road.cc that little bit special to my eyes: http://web.archive.org/web/20130614231711/http://road.cc/

dave atkinson replied to Luminosity | 10 years ago
0 likes
Luminosity wrote:

Dave - you've lost the stars and the yellow. Quite liked the carousel too. Perhaps more importantly we now have larger text (great for mobile devices, looks a bit Daily Mail on my screen - sorry!) Could you not use a Google or Cufon font for the header nav bars?

the stars we lost because we're not website of the year any more  4

all of the fonts on the site are google fonts. specifically, Source Sans Pro and Noto Serif in various weights.

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

My first impressions are that the revamped site looks great. Good idea with the "like" button too, as sm says above. Good work, team road.cc.

Pages

Latest Comments