Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ToB Stage 4 Pen-Y-Pass Climb

Here's the profile for Pen-Y-Pass, the last climb for Stage 4.

http://veloviewer.com/segment/706226

It seems like the last 100 meters or so average 20%+.
Do any of you know it? If Cav gets there, will it stump him? Has the race been through here before?  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes

i dont know it at all, but it looks like rogue GPS data to me. i wont just draw a straight line from last normal point to last point, and suddenly its nowhere near 10%. but could be wrong!

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

No way is P-Y-P 20%!

Pen y Gwryd (by the hotel) to the top of the pass is the last section of this Strava segment, the junction is where it hooks sharp left:
http://www.strava.com/activities/24260222

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got up it last month, so it must be easy. I'd be surprised if the steepest bit was any worse than 10%.

enrique replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
johnny2names wrote:

i dont know it at all, but it looks like rogue GPS data to me... its nowhere near 10%. but could be wrong!

chrisdstripes wrote:

I got up it last month, so it must be easy. I'd be surprised if the steepest bit was any worse than 10%.

Cool. It's kind of nice to know that someone here has done it, So, as far as the game goes, do you think it'll be just a bump on the road? If you had to guess...

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've reached the heady heights of 5th on the forum scorums league for this comp, panic has set in and i dont know who to pick in case i get it wrong and drop like a stone  20

chrisdstripes replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

Cool. It's kind of nice to know that someone here has done it, So, as far as the game goes, do you think it'll be just a bump on the road? If you had to guess...

Well in terms of actually riding, I'm a complete novice compared to most people on here, but it certainly seemed too short to cause the pros any major problems. Its a good launchpad tho', and its a narrow but very fast descent, with only 3km-ish of flat to reel in a break at the end. Depends on the race situation when they get to it really.

Stunning part of the world tho', really looking forward to seeing the stage tomorrow.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd say that the section from Denbigh to Llanrwst/Betws Y Coed across the Denbighshire moors is worse - the two cat2 climbs and other elevation changes across there will really sap the legs, and they'll be riding into a stiff Westerly. Look at the profile here:
http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage4/stoke_on_trent_route.php

Then they face a long, steady climb along the A5 to Capel Curig before they turn left onto the exposed section towards Pen Y Gwryd. Poor bastards.

enrique replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

... Stunning part of the world tho'...

As in wooded with lots of green and lots of scenery?...

60kg lean keen ... | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its a bit of a pull from the lower Dee plain from Bangor-on-Dee up into Wrexham then there is a bit of a rest, flat ish!! onto Mold and then there is Gwernynydd, not nice, its long and relentless up the bypass and then it really kicks up in the last mile past the roundabout. Plus there is a bend in the last 3rd of the climb so you cant see the brow!! If I was not in the know as to when the pain would stop and riding at the pace that they do, this would be where I would be losing the will to live!!!

enrique replied to 60kg lean keen climbing machine | 10 years ago
0 likes
60kg lean keen climbing machine wrote:

... If I was not in the know as to when the pain would stop and riding at the pace that they do, this would be where I would be losing the will to live!!!

You really don't know how good it feels to hear it stright from someone who's ridden it... thanks!

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

It felt steep walking up from the pyg, but then I turned left at the cafe and went up snowdon.

0 likes

the bookies are very heavily weighed towards a bunch sprint. hummmm

Simon E replied to johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes
johnny2names wrote:

Perhaps the bookies live in London, they probably think Llanberis is in Lincolnshire.

As well as the climbs, it will depend on how brave (or tired) the riders feel descending Llanberis Pass. If a group is away after Betws Y Coed I wouldn't bet against it, though if it's someone chasing GC then Sky would chase. And there's another tough day tomorrow, and the forecast is wet.

0 likes

I agree - its an "anything can happen" day. Some of us will gamble on sprint, others on GC, others will save transfers. I'm not really chasing anything in standard so have just had a bit of fun and picked for the break...

0 likes

Just realised there's a battle royale going on for overall victory in this year's fantasy league - Gmancervelo and cherrypicked are separated by just 10 points! Amazing after so many races. Wig_Billy just a couple of hundred behind in third. Good luck guys...

0 likes

sounds promising lads, cant wait to watch the highlights tonite  1
one thing's for sure, i wouldnt be confident backing cav for the win at 2:1 !!

vorsprung | 10 years ago
0 likes

Apparently they come up the A road towards Pen-Y-Pass

On the A4086

This photo is the A4086 Mille Cymru a 1000km ride in 2011

The bit before the YHA is slightly steeper but not 20%

The descent down the other side is quite fast  1

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well just arrived home after watching the start in Hanley, Stoke on Trent....
Managed to speak to Wiggo, Hayman, Brailsford.

Also had a natter with Stefano Pirazzi...What a really nice guy....Nothing like the headless chicken that he appears to be on the road...

0 likes

We have an eleven-man break with over a minute on the peloton, could be the one for the day. 2 of my 3 are there!

Delaplace
Madrazo
Slater
Gate
Wilkinson
Krizek
Scully
Northey
Keisse
Canola
Haussler (so close to House!)

My team is...
Wiggins, Ciolek, Elmiger, Golas, Lofqvist
Delaplace, Madrazo, House, Engoulvent

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Dammit! I dropped Haussler after three stages of inactivity! Curse him and and his over-styled eurohair.

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is gonna be a breakaway win or a sprint  20  20

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cavendish wins

Just 10th for my team, Rubbish!!!!!!!

I took out thwaites this morning, and Ciolek nowhere!

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well looks like cav for me and that's it .....swapped viv for ciolek yesterday after checking the profile ...cest la vie time to get the bike ready for tomorrows ride to Caerphilly I guess  102

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

lucky i've still got Viviani, hopefully ciolek in top 20 somewhere?  39

0 likes

2 and 5  2

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

None from the top 10 for me in standard, cav in purist and thats it.  2

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

3,5 so far, plus GC points here and there. Good stage for the purist teams (but not mine) I'll bet.

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

It seems like the last 100 meters or so average 20%

Crap... Pen-Y- Pass wasn't tough enough!  7

johnny2names wrote:

(Sigh!) They knew better! I wonder how...

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

... Managed to speak to Wiggo, Hayman, Brailsford... Also had a natter with Stefano Pirazzi...

That's pretty cool! What'd ya chat about? Were you dressed for the occasion?... Any pictures to share?...

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh sod it! Took Cav out. Then saw him tucked into the back of the sky train with the rest of his team resting behind him. My immediate thoughts were... Crap. I should know by now he takes a few days to warm to the occasion.

0 likes

Was thinking I don't mind a sprint cos I have Cav, Ciolek and Modolo in my purists - but where the bloody hell are Ciolek and Modolo?! Knew I should've stuck Pelucchi in purist as well as standard.

Heavily reliant on Madrazo and Delaplace for points today!

Pages

Latest Comments