Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

led laser lane

IMAGE(http://www.loveislight.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_00351.jpg) Very few people know that traffic law indicates that bicycles must maintain at least 1.5m lateral distance when overtaking bicycles. This light should help (at least overnight) people to visualize it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you tilt your bike to the right does it not shift the lasers to the left? Oops.

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

my just broke, but at twelve quid easily replaceable, they do look very cool, and you can alter the angle of lines by tilting the light itself

localsurfer | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got one of those. It looks cool, but from a car the laser lines are pretty much invisible.

andycoventry | 10 years ago
0 likes

Excuse my ignorance but how does that work?. Surely the higher you mount it the wider the lines apart will be - and vice-versa.....

Plus stating a offset at which you would like drivers to drive is surely a rod for your own back - as they will drive to the line not neccesarily give you as much space as possible.

Cr4p product....

Farky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Where exactly is this 'traffic law' written?

Highway code states "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car"

I cant find any law in the appendices either.

I could also suggest an improvement to this led lane as being wider...1.5m to the rear might be 'law' but Id rather have a doors width to my right and the same to the left so people can visualise why im in the middle of the road (ITO).

StuayEd replied to Farky | 10 years ago
0 likes
Farky wrote:

Highway code states "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car"

I could also suggest an improvement to this led lane as being wider...1.5m to the rear might be 'law' but Id rather have a doors width to my right and the same to the left so people can visualise why im in the middle of the road (ITO).

Your spot on Farky, there is no such law.

Even the Highway Code isn't "law". It is a 'Statutory instrument' as opposed to a piece of legislation and failing to follow its rules is not an offence in of itself.

Where the Highway Code refers to a rule which you can be prosecuted for failing to follow, it includes a footnote referencing the Section and Act of parliament. For example, driving through a red light. Where there is no reference, the Highway Code is simply advising what is good, safe driving practice.

However, failing to follow the rules of the Highway Code, whether they are offences in statute or not, could provide evidence towards a charge for the offence of Careless and Inconsiderate Driving or Dangerous Driving.

So a driver who passes too close to a cyclist, does not commit an offence of 'Driving to close to a cyclist', but could PITENTIALLY be prosecuted for Careless and Inconsiderate Driving.

cyclegaz replied to Farky | 10 years ago
0 likes
Farky wrote:

There is indeed no law. The DFT did publish a document which states that a vehicle overtaking a bicycle at 30mph needs to leave 1.5m from the bicycle wheel to the edge of the vehicle.

cyclegaz | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's 1.5m from the bicycle wheel to the edge of the car. That laser lane is certainly not even 1.5m wide overall, let alone from the edge of the wheel. In fact it looks less than 50cm from the edge of the bars!

This light is a pile of pish, here is a video of it in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSJ0p5rjNw As you can clearly not see, you can barely see it and it's not as wide as a narrow cycle lane.

EddyBerckx | 10 years ago
0 likes

looks more like 0.5 metres to me?

Latest Comments