Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Euskaltel saved !!!!!!!!

JUst read this on Sky Sports website so dont know how accurate the comments are, but good news nonetheless.

Formula One driver Fernando Alonso has saved the Euskaltel-Euskadi cycling team from folding after buying the cash-strapped Spanish squad for €6m.

The team had been due to cease operations at the end of the season after almost 20 years in top-tier cycling following the withdrawal of financial backing from public institutions in the Basque country, where it is based.

However, long-time cycling fan Alonso has stepped in to rescue the squad by taking over ownership of its WorldTour licence and is now set to rebuild it in the Asturias region of north-western Spain.

A statement on his website said: "We are pleased to announce that the Spanish sportsman has reached an initial agreement to buy [Euskaltel-Euskadi] and so avoid its demise.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well, Sammy comes from Asturias so he'll be pleased and that area does have some great climbs. He's in my purist team and I hope he comes into some good form soon. He was better today and there is still a long way to go yet. Often have a Euskatel rider in my teams and Anton would have been a good pick today.

Some good news for a change  41  41

MartyMcCann | 10 years ago
0 likes

At least they may speed up their wheel changes if nothing else! Seriously though, good news-hopefully there are no last minute gremlins.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fingers well and truly crossed for them, this would be fantastic!

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good news, but how do the Basque fans feel about the move to Asturias?

northstar replied to The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes
The Rumpo Kid wrote:

Good news, but how do the Basque fans feel about the move to Asturias?

I wouldn't be happy if I was a Basque / Euskatel-Euskadi fan, if true it's effectively creating a franchise.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its not quite confirmed, a few things need to be signed and sorted out, but it does look like he's buying the license and building a team around Sanchez...  102

They will honour current contracts, but to me, it looks like they are going to switch to Conti level  20

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes, this is awesome, if true!

It's such a shame cycling teams can just fold at the end of a season - cycling really needs to look at football (in some ways) in order to be more sustainable (in both ways).

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fab news! Thought it was a bit odd that the Carrots hadn't been quite as lively as I'd expected in the Vuelta - looks like Sanchez, Anton, Landa, Nieve and the Izagirres will be contracted for next year so don't particularly have any showing off to do.

Very happy about this  4

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ferrari brand bikes! They know how to make a bit of strong aero carbon. Get working on it right now. I'll have a red one.

drheaton replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Ferrari brand bikes! They know how to make a bit of strong aero carbon. Get working on it right now. I'll have a red one.

I'd be more interested in the bright orange Ferrari team cars  4

Great move from Alonso, nice to see him taking some of his fortune and investing into something he's passionate about. Although, from the articles I've read it appears that actually it's Alonso's sponsors (and not Alonso himself) stumping up the cash for the license. Either way, it's a nice move to step in and save the team.

This should be great for Euskatel too, just being associated to someone as marketable as Alonso means that they shouldn't have the same troubles as they have in the past attracting sponsors.

ragtimecyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just heard this too - fantastic news! I am an old fashioned romantic type and i have always loved the idea of Euskaltel-Euskadi - a team of local heros. The peloton just wouldn't have been the same without the orange shirts and flag waving Basques cheering them on.

It's a shame it takes a multi-millionaire sugar daddy to keep them going but such is the modern world - good on Fernando Alonso.

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments