Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannot believe there are no replies!!

Amazed you are all so quiet.

/content/news/90346-surrey-resident-launches-campaign-against-closed-road-cycle-events

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

76 comments

jova54 replied to pwmedcraft | 10 years ago
0 likes
pwmedcraft wrote:

I live just off the A25 and ride & drive along it daily and I don't see many people riding 2 abreast let alone 3 or 4. Whereabouts and when do you see that?

Riding 2 abreast can sometimes make it easier for cars to overtake since the line of riders is shorter, and it can also discourage stupid overtaking, rather like riding in primary can.

There's probably only one bit of the A25 between Guildford and Dorking where you would even consider riding more than two abreast and that's the bit between Silent Pool at the bottom of Newlands corner and the turning for Shere, about 1.5 miles maximum. The rest is typical rural A road where cycling in single file, or two abreast at a pinch, would be the norm. It doesn't make it dangerous and unsuitable for cyclists though, that's the fault of the knob-head drivers who think they own the road.

Leviathan replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

@freespirit1 Nobody cares about your problems anymore. You have exhausted what little sympathy you sought here. You do go on so.  29

sihall34 replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bikeboy, I think he's shown why he's on here, not to have a discussion or debate, just to try and antagonise and stir trouble. Best just to leave it, it's clear what he's trying to do, just provoke a response, what a hero.

crazy-legs replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
freespirit1 wrote:

2200 signed petition now.

The Tour of Britain closures could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

ToB is now in its 10th year. British winner in the shape of Sir Brad, further British interest in Cav who's obliged by winning two stages thus generating the extra media.

When the ToB was revived, it was quite difficult to get it into towns and it had to take some circuitous routes sometimes. However it's gone from a 5-day to an 8-day and got bigger and better every year.

Now, for every one town that they accept as a start/finish town, they have to reject a further 10. Councillors, the public, they all want it. It generates massive amounts of revenue, bit of a feel-good factor. I was up at the finish in Kendal on Monday and the place was packed (in spite of the rubbish weather). Cafes and pubs were all full, schools had come out to cheer the riders in, there was a really friendly atmosphere. Towns quite like that kind of thing. So no, Mr Freespirit1, it won't be the end of it. The council will look at the hundreds of thousands of people lining the route, the extra millions of pounds spent in the area, the publicity gained from the pictures and TV and they'll ignore the lonely voices of 2000 NIMBYs.

Sorry.

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Listening to Gardeners Question Time today - one questioner said that her garden backed onto the Ride London course and asked if the the peace and quiet she enjoyed while the road was closed could be reproduced by suitable planting.

No, was the short answer.

Leviathan replied to Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

Listening to Gardeners Question Time today - one questioner said that her garden backed onto the Ride London course and asked if the the peace and quiet she enjoyed while the road was closed could be reproduced by suitable planting.

Bzzz, Fwww (warm breeze) Clink (pimms) WhhWhhWhh (aero bike noise), applause, crackle Blowers: 'Tuffers we have been sent another cake by the lovely ladies of East Cheem' Crinkle (newspaper) Chirping birds... ahhhh.

jova54 replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
Crosshouses wrote:

Bzzz, Fwww (warm breeze) Clink (pimms) WhhWhhWhh (aero bike noise), applause, crackle Blowers: 'Tuffers we have been sent another cake by the lovely ladies of East Cheem' Crinkle (newspaper) Chirping birds... ahhhh.

Where is the LIKE button when you need it!!  4  4

jova54 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I live in Surrey and my wife, who is a care worker, works in the area affected. The weekend of the Ride London she was at work. Her normal start time is 7 am and finishes at 2.30pm.
I took her to and from work and apart from a couple of small delays we had no problems with the stewards who appeared to be doing all they could to help people move around during the event.
One day a year of inconvenience has been blown out of all proportion by the NIMBYs.

freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm sorry but the stewards were not letting anyone cross even on foot. In spite of what it says on the website. Personally I think the stewards have all been in storage since the fall of the Berlin Wall!!

jstreetley replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can believe that! But I think that just means the stewards we wrong, as that doesn't seem to have been in the plan. To make it work properly, they should stress allowing crossing whenever possible.

musicalmarc replied to freespirit1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Maybe print the web page and take it with you. I'm guessing many of the staff will be volunteers and whilst they probably want to be helpful may not be in posession of all the info.

Even if you have to do a full 10 mile detour, how long does that take on a motorbike, 20mins, each way, once a year?

jstreetley | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, for some reason I've felt drawn into replying. I'm sure I'll regret it.

You are right, as Byfleet is within a looped section, it was pretty cut-off. Not totally cut-off as there were diversions in place, even if it was the 10 miles you state.

Carers could get to patients no matter where they were. It specifically states that arrangements for carers will be made on request in the event information from Surrey County Council: http://www.gosurrey.info/assets/documents/prudential-ridelondon-leaflet

The same information also continues to talk about the route crossing points on foot/bicycle. So it is unfair to say the route is totally cut-off. It is merely made inconvenient for car drivers/motorised traffic.

Broadly, there are plenty of reasons roads can be shut, be they sporting (running, cycling), cultural (parades, fairs) or (the one that affects me the most as I live in central London) protest marches, and loads of other reasons too.

I didn't participate in the ride, but I did watch it. I travelled out to Surrey from London by train, watched the race come by and had a nice day out, the local community had put on a small street fair and the pubs and cafes appeared to have done a roaring trade, so it can't have been all bad for those on and around the route!

0 likes

I could leave the bike on the other side of the closure. yes. There is however a very major problem, the stewards will not allow anybody or anything across the road even if I am on foot. Therefore the closest I could get will be looking over the barriers and seeing my means of transport by Lake Close!!

What part of the phrase Byfleet is totally cut off do people not understand?

I don't know about you but working nights is bad enough but sleeping in a strange bed when on night shift just doesn't work for me.

OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you thought of staying over at a friend's house? Or perhaps you could leave your motorbike at a friend's house on the other side of the road closure and simply cycle there?

We've had noisy neighbours in the past. When they've informed us that they'll have a party, we take our kids and stay over at friends. When the Olympics were on last year and all the road closures and Olympic lanes were in operation in the city, we left the car parked in the street and used public transport or cycled. The Olympics did cause disruption but Londoners just got on with things. And as others have pointed out, while the Wimbledon tennis event causes worse jams in an already congested area, the locals just get on with it. When I lived in Edinburgh the thousands flocking to the city every year for the festival caused some inconvenience to us locals by jamming up the available facilities. But the city's inhabitants knew the value of the additional income the visitors brought, just as this cycle event can benefit the local economy of Surrey.

I take the point that other counties could perhaps run events and why not Kent or Sussex too? But I don't see how you can't come up with a simple way to work around this. You have had plenty of notice.

0 likes

Did I say you couldn't? What I am asking is some consideration for those that do live here. Something that is sorely lacking from the cycling community sometimes.

0 likes

I am not prepared to cycle 35 miles do a 12 hour shift and then cycle 35 miles, to get home again. If the trains ran at the times I need at the weekend I would use them.

Living in Byfleet I will have to go to the M25 at Chertsey, go within half a mile of where I started to join the A3 and then head to London. When I could just turn left at the roundabout and head to the A3 and be at the A3 in less than 10 minutes. If the roads were closed at 6 will not be a problem, 5 is too early.

That journey extension is 10 miles hence my 20 mile detour statement.

musicalmarc | 10 years ago
0 likes

genuine question, have you considered riding a bike to work for that day. You can wheel it along pavements to get around closed roads and then cycle the rest of the way. As a Londoner I have to put up with blocked up/ closed roads for much of the year. A crash on the trunk roads causes all other roads to get blocked. I'm only late for work on a bike if it's sunny.

0 likes

Finally Sideburn and Bikeboy do not live in Surrey, therefore they have as much right to tell me how to live and run my life in Surrey, as I do to tell them how to live theirs in Manchester and Devon.

You come here for a visit and a days enjoyment those of us that HAVE to go to work still need to do so.

0 likes
freespirit1 wrote:

Finally Sideburn and Bikeboy do not live in Surrey, therefore they have as much right to tell me how to live and run my life in Surrey, as I do to tell them how to live theirs in Manchester and Devon.

You come here for a visit and a days enjoyment those of us that HAVE to go to work still need to do so.

I live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and have as much right as you do to come down to Surrey and go for a bike, as you have a right to drive up here and partake of some of the lovely cafes and pubs in Didsbury. You are welcome.

What a Muppet!

0 likes

My home is on the route, but as they are doing rolling road closures for this we should be ok.

Time will tell.

Also we have had a bit more than a 3 weeks notice this time of the potential closures. Perhaps SCC left it so late to avoid people complaining before. Who knows?

crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes

freespirit1:
I presume you're aware of the Tour of Britain having a stage in Surrey this year as well? Saturday 21st September.

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage7/index.php#.Uh8UbT9el3s

Just posting this as a warning that once again there will be significant road closures on that day from very early in the morning until about 7.30pm.

Just telling you this so that you might be able to make alternative plans should your home be on the route again.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

I try not to watch too much television, but when I do there seem to be a lot of programs dedicated to obesity, lack of exercise along with their health related problems of heart disease, diabetes. Then of course over-reliance on motor vehicles, people killed by motor vehicles etc. Even Jeremy Clarkson is saying that the country would be better if more people rode bikes.
The people in government put on an event that attracts and hopefully inspires 10's of thousands of people...
and a few hundred whinge that they -might- be inconvenienced?
I may live in Devon but I used to live near to part of the route; your 20 mile diversion statement does not add up to me. Or are you saying you would have to push your motorbike 20 miles?

0 likes

Sideburn

Sticks and stones and all that. I find it quite amusing that people when confronted with a view that they do not like always resort to smears and name calling.

I perhaps also should have pointed out that I can do nothing about the Marathon as I am not a London resident and voter.

The bottom line is a lot of people are inconvenienced by the event and all the other non-regulated ones that spring up in Surrey.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

You still sound a lot like a nimby  39 I think you sum up your attitude when you say about the marathon, "It does not affect me so who cares?" I live in Devon so why should I care?
Anyone know how much this event raised for charity this year?

crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes

To pick up on this point you made in the previous thread (freespirit1):

Quote:

2. Like most Surrey residents I was extremely pleased about the route being used for the Olympics as a one off and for a rehearsal. At no point were residents consulted about an annual event.

The council (belive it or not) is actually under no obligation to consult it's residents whatsoever - they can shut roads for any reason (well, anything they deem "necessary") without any prior notice at all - it'll be in your council tax info (hiding somewhere in very tiny print!).

As a general rule though, they will notify residents - exceptions obviously include things like major incidents (burst water main, fire, bomb threat etc) but for things like marathons, cycling events, it's usually regarded as polite to let people know - there are however not obliged to ask your opinion at all!

As I posted in that previous thread, I'm genuinely curious as to how many people were actually affected - people who simply had no other option at all? As I mentioned, my Dad lives right on the route of the London Marathon and for one weekend a year, he can't access his car, can't walk to the shops - so he plans ahead and makes alternative arrangements (or buys in his supplies in advance).

Once a year, there's a funfair held on the park opposite my house which causes a lot of noise, a lot of traffic congestion etc. Personally I hate it but I can see the good it does for the area, can see how many people enjoy it so again, I make alternative plans that weekend.

I'm not saying that's an option for everyone - obviously there will be people who can't just jump in a car and go away for a weekend, just curious as to what options there were in place to cater for that?

Not having a go, genuine question - something you might want to feed back to the organisers?

0 likes

4 I am quite sure people do complain about the Marathon I am not as it does not affect me. It is a bit of a cheap shot to imply that I may be anti-cyclist.

All I have said is that ALL road users if they obeyed the simple instructions in existence, may find that we can all use the roads in harmony.

With all the hills around Bath anyone who does a half marathon around there should be sectioned afterwards!  4

Wimbledon does tend to snarl up a relatively small area, it will be a pain in the arse I agree but maybe only a mile extra pain iin the arse. Not a 20 mile detour pain the arse.

As for walking a bit I would but pushing a motorcycle that weighs the best part of 400 pounds is not that easy after a while!!!

0 likes
freespirit1 wrote:

All I have said is that ALL road users if they obeyed the simple instructions in existence, may find that we can all use the roads in harmony.

Well yes, on a normal day. But road closures are necessary for this event. You cannot have up to 20,000 cyclists mixing with normal road traffic, even on a Sunday morning. Then there is the professional Classic race. What would happen at the hundreds of traffic light junctions? There will be road closures for this event next year, to suggest otherwise implies you aren't really aware of what is happening during the event.

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am inconvenienced for two weeks a year with tennis at Wimbledon and the resultant traffic (the Olympics were even worse with road blocks). Hundreds participate, thousands come and millions enjoy watching it. Sometimes you just have to plan and compromise for the greater good. I know when the tournament will be and adjust accordingly.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

people in bath moan about the half marathon *every* year. you've never heard such whining because you can't drive to sainsburys for six hours of one day every year.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

You sound like you are saying you might be inconvenienced not will?
I had a road closed near me, (subsidence, which I realise is a lot different) I was awkward especially as it was closed for weeks but meant I had to walk a bit. It was not the end of the world.
Working nights is s**t; I know because I work them, even a minor irritation becomes a major one, but this event has raised thousands for charity and could go on to raise thousands more. I suspect a lot of local businesses are rubbing their hands with expectation
Do people complain about the London Marathon? Or is this just an anti-cyclist thing?

Pages

Latest Comments