Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Training for multi-day events.

Anyone got any training tips for working towards a multi-day event. I have a spot on the Ride across Britain from John O'Groats to Lands End...training starts today!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

Yes solo and I hear you re: equipment. I've managed to get through a year with one pair of cycling shorts but I think that's going to have to change.

Anyone got any tips for blagging stuff for free?  3

I hadn't thought about 'bike fit' but that is a really good point and definitely something that I think investing in would be a good idea. Anyone know where does it in the 'North' of England?

I just read the route and now I'm really scared...did they pick the hilliest route possible!?!  13

Time to sell the need for a turbo trainer to the missus.  4

Hadn't even thought about 'recovery' each evening. I've recovered pretty fast from the Sportives I've done previously, but then I haven't attempted 9 in a row. I've got my fingers crossed for free massages laid on at base camp.

Old Cranky | 14 years ago
0 likes

Chapeau*2

Any plans to help the recovery each evening - massage, compression clothes, ice bath...?

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

Are you doing it solo? Chapeau if you are. so that's nine days at 110 miles a day, if memory serves. plenty to ask of your legs but it's also really imprtant to make sure that the rest of your kit matches up to your fitness - saddle, shorts, bike position, stuff like that. be desperate not to finish because you were too uncomfortable!

As for the actual training, well it's just a case of getting the miles in, there's no substitute. Getting yourself used to back-to-back days in the saddle is a must. If you can't afford the time to do two big days over a weekend then get a turbo trainer and follow up a ride with a decent turbo session the next day just to get your legs used to the fact that they don't get to recover!

Latest Comments