Home

Fiction/non fiction/training whatever! big up a good one i've just read Slaying The Badger (hinault-Lemond) great read

45 comments

Gkam84 [9090 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Its all about the bike (The pursuit of happiness on two wheels) - Rob Penn

andybnk [97 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

We were young and carefree by Laurent Fignon! Especially for the quote "m'seiu, are you not the man who lost the tour by 9 seconds?" "Non m'seiu I am the man who won it twice!"

Leviathan [2145 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

'Its not about the bike.' - Lance Armstrong*
Fiction Category.

*joke

chiv30 [986 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The secret race , Tyler Hamilton very interesting read in the light of LAs recent confessional

Stumps [3359 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography. Very moving but also very interesting.

netclectic [134 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Consumed by Jonathan Budds
http://consumed-novel.com/

Simon E [2778 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

You started with a cracker.

+1 for Laurent Fignon.

'In Pursuit of Stardom', Tony Hewson's account of his adventures of continental cycling, is as good as it gets. It gives a real insight into what it was really like for three talented young English lads who had a real adventure on a shoestring.

Will Fotheringham's books about Coppi, Simpson and Merckx plus Tomorrow We Ride... by Jean Bobet about his life riding alongside brother Louison are good if you want to understand the history of the sport. Bobet's is a particularly touching account.

To see the modern Tour de France rider's experience A Significant Other by Matt Rendell documents Colombian Victor Hugo Pena riding for Lance with US Postal. A very different team tale at the Tour is that of ANC-Halfords in Wide Eyed and Legless. Calling it chaotic and a shambles doesn't come close.

For a vivid (and apparently accurate) insight into the mind of a racer: The Rider by Tim Krabbe. Matt Seaton's emotional rollercoaster The Escape Artist is similarly personal but factual. As is The Flying Scotsman. Amazing bloke.

Also factual and very funny - French Revolutions by Tim Moore. In fact, I think I'll read this again between now and the Tour start.

I wouldn't bother with mini-autobiogs by Cavendish or Wiggins. Too dull. However, David Millar's account of his life, including lots on his doping and its aftermath, is riveting.

And something completely different - A Bike Ride by Anne Mustoe. Headteacher at a posh girls' school just buys a Condor more or less on a whim and rides off around the world not even knowing how to mend a puncture.

skitza [94 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Fantastic ! loadsa new books to find  4

I really enjoyed the insights in Armstrongs book until well you know, also enjoyed sex lies and handlebar tape (Antequil) was good as was Merckx the cannibal, Paul Kimmage rough ride was an eye opener and put me back on my bike (tom simpson ) was a cracking read.

Keep em coming! And what about training books ? any good ones out there?

The Rumpo Kid [589 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Agree about "French Revolutions" and "A Bike Ride". They really inspire the reader to spread their own wings a little wider. "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Richard and Nicholas Crane is also well worth a read for those who are bikepacking masochists, and those who are glad they're not.

JediNeo [35 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Chasing the Chimney Sweep by Selwyn Parker. http://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Chasing_the_Chimney_Sweep.html?id=... Quite enjoyed reading about a couple's tour around France following the 1903 route. Interspersed with bits of the history of that race.

Super Domestique [1605 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Best one I've read is not road but mtb.

Two wheels on my wagon by Paul Howard.

Utterly brilliant.

big shug [35 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Dave Barter - Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder - funny and scarily familiar short essays on MTB and road obsessions.

Ned Whatsisname - How I won the yellow jumper - no great literary classic but a good holiday read.

+1 Escape Artist

cidermart [489 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Oh yes to Tim Moore 'French Revolutions' I had some very strange looks in the hospital reading that one  4

Tjuice [210 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

The secret race , Tyler Hamilton very interesting read in the light of LAs recent confessional

+1

d_jp [126 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 to "It's all about the Bike" by Robert Penn
+1 "How I won the Yellow Jumper" by Ned Boulting

Pisiform [47 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

"The Hour" - Michael Hutchinson

A very interesting book about his attempt on the hour record. Well written and humorous.

"In search of Robert Millar" - Robert Moore

Really good autobiography about Millar with lots of background on cycling in the 80s.

"The Flying Scotsman" - Graeme Obree

Deeply personal and well written account about his career and pretty unflinching about his mental health problems.

And +1 to all of the above especially Rob Penn and Dave BArter.
Don't dismiss the Cavendish autobiography "Boy Racer", it was much better than I'd thought it would be and he's a more complex man that I'd appreciated.

Chuck [556 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

'The Rider', by Tim Krabbe.
Oh, and +1 for 'The Hour'- I really enjoyed that.

bashthebox [751 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Seven Deadly Sins is a great read too.

Did anyone mention Half Man Half Bike? That's a good history book.

0 likes

Actually - I should postscript that recommendation with the fact that Merckx's performances are never questioned - the author accepts wholly the explanation for Merckx's failed doping tests.

And in Seven Deadly Sins, the author casually mentions that Merckx introduced Armstrong to Michele Ferrari. So.

Jaltham [60 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for "Flying Scotsman" by Graeme Obree. Deeply personal and riveting!

Kapelmuur [335 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Actually - I should postscript that recommendation with the fact that Merckx's performances are never questioned - the author accepts wholly the explanation for Merckx's failed doping tests.

And in Seven Deadly Sins, the author casually mentions that Merckx introduced Armstrong to Michele Ferrari. So.

I've just finished Seven Deadly Sins, a fascinating read but ultimately depressing. I'm particularly disillusioned about the Merckx revelation as he is (was) my all time sporting hero.

Not a great book, but an insight into the life of a good,
but not quite world beating, rider is Inside The Peleton by Nicolas Roche. He writes, in 2010, that Contador should have been banned for life - now he rides for Saxo Tinkoff!

0 likes

You wonder how Roche's thoughts on doping square with his Dad, too?

Thing with Merckx being a potential doper - they didn't have much available to them, did they? Just a shit load of speed, and they were all taking it as we know. You can get similar(ish) effects to amphetamines by taking a load of caffeine, which a lot of riders do today.

Kapelmuur [335 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

You wonder how Roche's thoughts on doping square with his Dad, too?

Thing with Merckx being a potential doper - they didn't have much available to them, did they? Just a shit load of speed, and they were all taking it as we know. You can get similar(ish) effects to amphetamines by taking a load of caffeine, which a lot of riders do today.

My disillusion with Merckx is not the amphetamine use, given the conditions riders operated in in his day it's understandable, but the revelation that he sent his son to Dr Ferrari and his support for Armstrong.

0 likes

Yeah, it's fucked isn't it? The greatest of all time, happy to promote cheating - when he vocally railed against it during his career.

crazy-legs [796 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Bit of a leftfield one here in that it's not racing, it's touring.

Moods of Future Joys and the sequel, Thunder and Sunshine.

It's the story of Alistair Humphreys 5 year round-the-world ride. Funny, moving, fascinating and never involving doping or lies like most of the road racing books seem to!

zanf [859 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 Tim Krabbe - The Rider
+1 William Fotheringham - 'Fallen Angel' [Coppi] / 'Put Me Back On The Bike' [Tom Simpson]

+1 Anne Mustoe - A Bike Ride: One of the best (series of) cycle touring books I've read.

As Simon E says, she quit her job as a headmistress as a posh girls school after seeing a guy cycling whilst on holiday in Rajastan, India and thought 'I want to do that', despite not having ridden a bike for over 30 years.

She spent 18 months following various historic paths (Roman roads, the campaigns of Alexander the Great, the Silk Road route, pioneers crossing the US to the west coast) and she writes with incredible depth and passion. She continued to cycle and write until her death 18 years later in Syria.

Ones on the reading list:

Charles Wegelius - Domestique
Rob Hayles - Easy Rider
Ned Boulting - How I Won The Yellow Jumper

Adey [86 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Slaying the Badger - great read
Got for my 'jollies' -
Marco Pantani (the death of)
The Secret Race
Also thinking of getting 'Inside the Peleton'  26

arfa [767 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Noobie here

Racing through the dark by David Millar was a painfully honest and fascinating book.

I'd second obsessive cycling disorder and throw in free country by george mahood for a bit of light reading

skitza [94 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

ta for the reccs folks loads of new ones for me to find ,
currently sitting on my 'to read' shelf are:
Merkyz-half man half bike
A race for madmen
Nicholas Roche-inside the peleton
Field of Fire
Wide eyed and legless

ill report back when ive read em

NeilG83 [301 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I thought people on this thread might be interested in this offer: http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?...

3 William Fotheringham books - Merkx Half Man Half Bike, Fallen Angel & Roule Britannia for £6.99. The same site also has the Le Tour 100 book at a reduced price.

Pages