Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

what are the benefits of shaving your legs....seriously

i can't believe that it makes really any difference to a regular cyclist, but i'm willing to be proved wrong

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

95 comments

timb27 | 10 years ago
0 likes

My road shoes are black. So black socks look better with them. What's a guy to do?

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

What is wrong with black socks? You are making me feel all self conscious  39

Kapelmuur replied to SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

What is wrong with black socks? You are making me feel all self conscious  39

One of the first cyclist biographies I read was of Fausto Coppi. I recall that he wore black socks for the very practical reason that they didn't show the dirt, didn't need washing as often as white socks so the rider needed fewer pairs.

The logic is inescapable and if it's good enough for Coppi.....

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

I shaved my arm pits once. The itching is horrendous. Never again, and never will I seek to defluff anything but my face.

The only reason to shave is that if you're regularly getting massaged. It's hard enough to get my girlfriend to do the part that really aches, let alone my legs alas.

Spooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Real question should be Veet, shave or wax.

bike_food | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't think it makes any difference but if you are ripped it looks ace.

Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you arent getting paid to ride your bike and you shave your legs then you are a bit of dick.
In my opinion.

pdows47 replied to Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

If you arent getting paid to ride your bike and you shave your legs then you are a bit of dick.
In my opinion.

I get paid to ride (not in a pro manner, I do Sky Rides) and I shave  10

Anyway, I like the clean sheets and fresh legs feeling, my MTB crashes are easier to clean, and since started the management tells me off if I don't shave- she hates my legs being stubbly

dreamlx10 replied to Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

In my opinion.

Spoken like a true ""Gringo".

joc replied to Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

In my opinion.

quite ironic really because that's quite a dickish thing to say...just saying

Some Fella replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:
Some Fella wrote:

In my opinion.

quite ironic really because that's quite a dickish thing to say...just saying

Just expressing an opinion. Just sayin like.

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

There is something satisfying about having flies squashed on your legs, rather than getting trapped in the hair as you ride along

lball9 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's just for looks but I seriously don't understand why guys want to look like they have women's legs. I've been pushed to do it for years by peers but I shall never cave!

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Seen those review before, they were crying with pain whereas I was crying with laughter...

Personally I like the hairy legs look for blasting past others. It's kinda like putting V6 in a Mini and leaving the outside to look completely standard.

SideBurn replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Personally I like the hairy legs look for blasting past others. It's kinda like putting V6 in a Mini and leaving the outside to look completely standard.

My thoughts entirely..... but a friendly, nonchalant, "Alright mate!" as you go by helps

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Chicks* dig it**.

*By "chicks" I mean other males, possibly even ten or fifteen years your senior.

**By "dig it" I mean acknowledgement via a chin jut or barely perceptible nod of approval.

YorkshireMike replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

Chicks* dig it**.

*By "chicks" I mean other males, possibly even ten or fifteen years your senior.

**By "dig it" I mean acknowledgement via a chin jut or barely perceptible nod of approval.

Probably the best answer on here, though after 3 months of doing it I've found that it actually has a few benefits:

1. It makes a mental difference, you feel quicker, even if it doesn't actually make a physical difference.
2. If you're on the commute and need to get clean when time is of the essence when you arrive, it makes cleaning your legs a heck of a lot easier.
3. You get loads more definition, which, if you're vain (and let's face it, we are) makes all those miles count for something while your upper body shrivels away!
I wouldn't go back now until I have to wear bibtights again. Stubble looks/feels terrible!

Kapelmuur replied to YorkshireMike | 10 years ago
0 likes
YorkshireMike wrote:

3. You get loads more definition, which, if you're vain (and let's face it, we are) makes all those miles count for something while your upper body shrivels away!Stubble looks/feels terrible!

For me "definition" = varicose veins  2

BBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

Baaa!

RichTheRoadie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Benefits? I'm sorry, I don't understand...

It's just how it should be if you ride a road bike. If you don't shave your legs you ain't doing it right.

Krd51 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It looks good for a start. All these newbies with hairy legs and black socks should be shot!!!!!

SideBurn replied to Krd51 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Krd51 wrote:

It looks good for a start. All these newbies with hairy legs and black socks should be shot!!!!!

Except I am not a newbie!
I just can't be arsed anymore and all my socks are black; but I accept Lycra and hairy legs do not look right...

PhilRuss replied to Krd51 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Krd51 wrote:

[[[ Quite right, KRD51.....black socks???? Armstrong shoulda bin prosecuted for that alone. Looked like he'd forgotten the long suspenders. UGLY!
P.R.

Valkyrie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Guys, guys, guys,

For greater muscle definition, why shave when Veet does the job for you, just read the reviews...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/health-beauty/dp/B000KKNQBK
...they are hilarious!

SideBurn replied to Valkyrie | 10 years ago
0 likes
Valkyrie wrote:

Guys, guys, guys,

For greater muscle definition, why shave when Veet does the job for you, just read the reviews...

...they are hilarious!

Well spotted!!! This was the most helpful review...

"DO NOT PUT ON KNOB AND BOLLOCKS
Being a loose cannon who does not play by the rules the first thing I did was ignore the warning and smear this all over my knob and bollocks. The bollocks I knew and loved are gone now. In their place is a maroon coloured bag of agony which sends stabs of pain up my body every time it grazes against my thigh or an article of clothing. I am suffering so that you don't..."

You have got to read the one, "Oh the shame..."
Thank you Valkyrie; you have made my day....

dreamlx10 replied to Valkyrie | 10 years ago
0 likes
Valkyrie wrote:

Guys, guys, guys,

...they are hilarious!

Hilarious reviews.

Vic Brown | 10 years ago
0 likes

Shaving my legs for the 2nd season and yes, it's mainly peer pressure/looking like a cyclist. Shaved legs look better in lycra shorts.

However, about ten days ago I had a crank break and ended up on the tarmac. Luckily i was going uphill and it was a relatively low speed tumble nothing worse than road rash on my leg and arm. It is much easier to deal with cleaning and treating road rash on shaved legs - glad they were smooth.

gordon748 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I done it because the pros do it made no difference at all and will never do it again. I do like to keep the hair short now but never with a razor  1

Leviathan replied to gordon748 | 10 years ago
0 likes
gordon748 wrote:

I done it because the pros do it made no difference at all and will never do it again. I do like to keep the hair short now but never with a razor  1

Yep, tried it once too but the constant swishing of my trousers against bare skin was very distracting. Annoying to be reminded every five seconds you have shaved your legs. So I now trim to a No.1 once a month, same effect just much less hassle.

zzgavin | 10 years ago
0 likes

the stubble gets annoying though, feels a bit odd in shorts on my Brompton through London, but looks the part on my road bike

Pages

Latest Comments