Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

what are the benefits of shaving your legs....seriously

i can't believe that it makes really any difference to a regular cyclist, but i'm willing to be proved wrong

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

95 comments

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I fell off the mtb and scraped my knee recently. Used some of that spray on plaster it stuck good and proper, and including the hairs all around. It hurts pulling that stuff off where its not required! So I could understand there might be some benefit in this instance.

Most of the guys do it on the road club, but just cos I don't I wouldn't say its a sign not to follow my wheel. I'd judge who's wheel to follow by seeing what hand signals and warnings about the road surface and traffic I get from them when following in a bunch; rather than who's got shaved legs and who hasn't. Some of the guys who turn up on cross bikes with mis-matched kit are actually the most reliable and safe wheels to follow - image can be very deceptive.

I can almost understand it from a crash perspective and for massages but if you're not racing or getting massaged then I do wonder why you'd bother. Pale pastey shaved legs look even worse than pale pastey hairy legs.

J90 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm guessing some people aren't fully comfortable with their sexuality or don't get sports massages/massages at all. Hair creates an uncomfortable drag during a massage and it's so much more effective without it.

Also, wax don't shave......although I suppose that's easier when you have somebody around who's trained in that field.

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

Look it's a big enough flippin chore shaving one's face, so shaving my legs is the last thing I want to do!
Apart from vanity it's never gonna benefit me whats so ever.

BBB | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't care in the slightest if anyone does or doesn't shave their legs and I wouldn't take part in any discussions about it if... it wasn't the irritating mildly brainwashed minority of prats imposing their way of doing things and their sense of aesthetics onto the rest of the cycling population.

You are guys not much different from some deluded naturists claiming that walking around with your dangling willy out is "more natural" or vegetarians trying to convince you about the superiority of their diets or die hard roadies who believe that 23mm tubs is all everyone should be ever riding...
Being a part of a subculture/sect/tribe tends to kill one's objectivity to a certain extent.

As shavers you are effectively freaks and members of a micro scale minority of cycling nerds. Most of other cyclists won't give your smooth calves a second glance and most of non-cycling population think you look like idiots. Just because YOU prefer the look of shaven legs does not mean that objectively they look better. Oh and no, most of women don't "dig it". Get real.

Having said all that... I wouldn't go back to hairy legs. Buying an epilator next week  3

thorolf | 9 years ago
0 likes

To shave or not to shave. Each to their own.

I prefer to use leg and arm warmers instead of shaving. From very light warmers/sun guards in summer, to more warmer (Roubaix, Vuelta fabric etc) ones in winter. I wear them all year round.

For me, this is a much easier way to achieve the same effect as shaving. Vanity doesn't interest me one iota.

I also like the warmers/sun guards for their aero effect. As I live in a hot climate the warmers/guards also protect against sunburn. In addition, they wick moisture from the skin into the air - except when the humidity is high. They are perfect for days when the humidity is low or the air is dry.

The warmers make my fat legs look slimmer (black colour only!)  19

On some rides other riders have tried to take the piss out of me. I honestly don't care what people think, it works for me  3

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sliding down a stretch of tarmac on your thigh and knee at 30 mph is shit. Dressing and attempting to heal the resulting wounds with hairy legs is even shitter. Dressing the resulting wounds with shaven legs is marginally less shit, much quicker and substantially easier.

Experience in both scenarios has resulted in me shaving my legs for this purpose.

The other option is don't crash. I'm shit at not crashing.

zanf | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ive never really had hairy legs. Theyre bald apart from a thin strip down my my shins so I decided to just shave them.

I'm really into straight razors (I have 6 of them, each one is over 70 years old) despite only having to shave twice a week at most. So when it came to doing the legs, again, not much to do but a quality shave!

Simmo72 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Epilator, waxing, my goodness, have you all gone soft. get a straight razor and shave your legs like a man (I am aware of the irony here).

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't shave, but much like the OP, I stand to be convinced of its merits.

That said, even having read the comments so far, I just don't see the benefits over staying hairy? I think it's bascially established that any aero claims to shaving are complete nonsense, I don't get massaged after I ride, I have no particular desire to look "pro", and I don't ride my bike on the presumption that I'm going to fall off. This "fresh sheets" thing is just bizarre too.

As shallow as it may be, I don't shave for the simple fact that I wear normal shorts far more often than I wear bibshorts, so I'd rather have the occasional disapproving look from a club cyclist than having everyone think I'm a cross-dresser as I walk round Tesco...  3

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

I thought the aero claims had been recently backed up, and were greater than any of us had thought... or was that an April 1st thing?

Whenever anyone asks me why I shave, I simply say that;

- hairy legs look shit in white ankle socks and lycra shorts
- It shows off the 'tone' better
- It is a statement that say I belong to a certain peer group

Then I might come out with all the normal stuff.

S13SFC | 9 years ago
0 likes

I really like the feel of my smooth legs and as I get a proper sports massage off the Mrs after a hard ride (guffaw) having them smooth is certainly a benefit.

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you have a secret crossdressing fetish then taking up cycling is a great way to keep the wife off the scent, but you shoud probably do something about that moustache.

It's a bit weird really but it's well established now and mostly done to fit in so carry on and shave or don't, nobody really cares. I tried it once, never again.

Skylark | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you know why it's done?

It's to improve massaging. The hairs get in the way.

Nothing to do with aerodynamics, campness etc..
Now you know.

Christian Wheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

Come on, don't tell me you don't all admire yourselves in the mirror, tensing and caressing those sculpted leg muscles. This, I believe, says it all:
http://www.landofmudandglory.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/i-ride...

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wish I hadn't read this thread. I'm going to feel self concious every ride now I've discovered that other riders are judging my legs.

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well of course other cyclists are judging your legs, but not on their appearance.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hairy or not is definitely your own choice. I prefer to trim down No. 1 for the summer (only full shaved twice I think) It is just less time consuming, looks the same and doesn't feel weird in trousers. I am happy to grow all winter and get the shears out for spring.

Meanwhile contrary to popular opinion it does get warm or hot in the UK in the summer. I would think someone wearing warmers or tights in 20+ temperature was mental because its HOT! FFS its summer you muppet. I find air is a very good means of wicking away sweat.

I don't think hairy legs are dirty, but I do think calf tattoos are as ugly as sin.

Chez_worldwide | 9 years ago
0 likes

Massage, bah. Aero, pah. Road rash, piffle. My shaved legs feel lovely.  105 No other reason needed. Each to their own though.

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

What I fantastic holiday I have just returned from. Main thing I came back with were fabulously hair free tanned legs, of course with the regulation bibshort tan line. Sunbathed in bibshorts just to ensure continuity.

On a serious note, but of course this is based on my own empirical evidence I repeat MY own empirical evidence.

I still compete, massage is easier for the therapist and more comfortable for me.
Wounds heal a dam sight quicker.
Water runs off the legs quicker where as hair retains it and you get colder.
Sweat evaporates quicker.
If you have a BF % below 12% your legs look awesome, if it's up there in the 20's then of course it doesn't look that great, however surely 15% below is your goal hence the training/riding.
You are a liar if you say you don't care about vanity, never met a man yet who doesn't.
And finally Athletic women love it.
And if this really bothers you? Get out more.

Binky | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tattoos have been around a lot longer than bicycles. Me thinks you should get over it  20

Marky Legs | 9 years ago
0 likes

just shave everything, it's simpler

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would comment on this, but the last article I made a shaved legs related comment on was taken down shortly after.  7

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not a leg shaver, but there's a dark undertone of sexism and/or homophobia in some of the anti-shaving comments... I do hope that's all just in jest.

daddyELVIS replied to mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mtbtomo wrote:

Pale pastey shaved legs look even worse than pale pastey hairy legs.

....but tanned shaved legs with plenty of miles in them look the business!

Don't believe the reasons given (massage, road rash, aero, etc) - the real reason is that it just looks right.

Hairy legs + lycra = WRONG!!!

redmeat replied to thorolf | 9 years ago
0 likes
thorolf wrote:

Vanity doesn't interest me one iota.

The warmers make my fat legs look slimmer (black colour only!)  19

Fail.

brakesmadly replied to BBB | 9 years ago
0 likes
BBB wrote:

Oh and no, most of women don't "dig it". Get real.

Most women say they don't dig it, until they see for themselves. Then they're converted.

drfabulous0 replied to Skylark | 9 years ago
0 likes
dogcc wrote:

Do you know why it's done?

It's to improve massaging. The hairs get in the way.

Nothing to do with aerodynamics, campness etc..
Now you know.

That's just one of many reasons commonly given for it, folk can wear their body hair however they like for whatever reasons they like, not everyone has massages.

Cyclist replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

I don't think hairy legs are dirty, but I do think calf tattoos are as ugly as sin.

I have a calf tattoo

Missed that. See it always gets personal. What would happen if I said it rubs me up the wrong way when I see an 'all the gear no idea' mamil on his colnago C60 topping out at 10mph weaving all over the road and carrying more fat around his calf than his bike weighs!

Oh well..let's bring on the keyboard warrior vitriol.

We should have a UK Road bike members bike cafe get together day. Have a proper discussion. Now that would be interesting. You have to wear your road cc name.

Well I am in. I would really like too meet some of you.

Notsofast replied to Marky Legs | 9 years ago
0 likes
Marky Legs wrote:

just shave everything, it's simpler

Eyebrows and head hair too!

userfriendly replied to Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes
Al__S wrote:

I'm not a leg shaver, but there's a dark undertone of sexism and/or homophobia in some of the anti-shaving comments... I do hope that's all just in jest.

I poke fun at it at every opportunity. I shave my legs myself, but I don't mind fun being poked at me for it from hairy legged freaks either. Joke's on them, they're the ones looking silly in lycra, not me.  10

Pages

Latest Comments