Comfortable road shoes

by thebikeboy   October 28, 2008  

I'm in the market for a pair of comfy road shoes, but I have right a big old bunnion on my right foot. Over the years I've tried Gaerne, Shimano, NorthWave, Pearl Izumi and Specialized and a few more besides, the Pearl Izumis and the Spesh were more leisure shoes and they were pretty comfortablle, but I have still to find a really comfortable road shoe.

I've not gone down the Carnac and Sid route in the past cos I've got wide feed and I always thought they were both quite narrow fitting. I'm tending towards of Specialized's anyone got any thoughts/advice?

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I use Spesh now - I think you can get a wide fitting Sidi - the Mega ? But hard to track down.

You can get some nice Spesh racing shoes for under a hundred. I steer clear of the 'bells and whistles' - just more to go wrong.

cougie's picture

posted by cougie [3 posts]
28th October 2008 - 17:18

like this
Like (2)

Think I'll see if I can pick up some of these BG Experts. I do like the other Body Geometry stuff I've used, seems well thought out and these look a good basic shoe. Not too expensive either, which helps Smile

Spec shoes.jpg

On a bike somewhere…

thebikeboy's picture

posted by thebikeboy [138 posts]
28th October 2008 - 18:00

like this
Like (2)

And that would be both Shimano and Adidas (which would also now include Mavic), as these are both pretty narrow fitting shoes...

I love my Adistar Pro's but I did have to go a size up just to get enough width to make them comfy...

Complicating matters since 1965

DaSy's picture

posted by DaSy [644 posts]
29th October 2008 - 10:53

like this
Like (2)

Search out some of the Sidi Mega range for a try - I have really wide feet and use Side Mega Genius on the roadie and Sidi Mega SomethingOrOther on the MTB.

Or, try the shoes you can mould by heating in the oven? GB Cycles (gbcycles.co.uk I think) sell them.

posted by Slim [12 posts]
29th October 2008 - 22:21

like this
Like (2)

I will have a look for the Megas. I've tried the mouldable Shimanos - the R300s, the ones they head up the insole in an oven and then mould the upper to your foot by sticking it in a plastic back and sucking all of the air out. Made an interesting shap around my bunnion! I found that the insole shrank after a while (though you could re-head it and mould it again, but the other downer was that they gave me terrible hotspots (and the insoles had cooled down by then, honest) although another mate who's got a pair swears by them.

On a bike somewhere…

thebikeboy's picture

posted by thebikeboy [138 posts]
29th October 2008 - 23:12

like this
Like (1)