Home

Basically, I was driving to work (middle of the day, sunny)and there was a cyclist with his lights on, blinking on and off. I saw him a good 800 metres before I overtook him, and this was down to the lights he was using. I am considering adopting this approach as well. Does anyone else do this, have the lights on all the time? Safety is my main concern when out on the bike.

thanks

55 comments

Bez [587 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes. I have dynohubs on my commuter and my audaxish bike so I have full time lights on those as there's no point turning them off. The summer road bike doesn't have a dyno (yet) but even on that I have the rear light always on, even on the brightest of days (helps under tree cover - even with a really clean windscreen the changes from light to shade and back can be dramatic).

andyp [1436 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Yup, I use my rear light in daylight on my commute. On constant, obviously.

dave atkinson [6145 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

me too: dynohub and lights on the whole time. and i normally turn my rear on when i'm riding on the road on a bike that doesn't have a dyno system, whatever time of day

NickJ_74 [1 post] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've been using the rear light on blink since September last year, on all weather runs out on my road bike (approx 1000 miles so far), it's surprising how long the batteries actually last! Just gives a sense of a bit more protection through visibility, especially in low sun conditions and when passing through sun and shady spots. I will continue to use the rear light on blink all year round because of this.

farrell [1950 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I have one of those frog type lights attached to my helmet that I leave on blink.

Puts it nicely at eye level for drivers.

foxyloxy [49 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes I tend to keep my Knog Boomers on strobe during daylight.I was riding an evening 10 TT last season,and one of our club had a rear knog boomer on strobe,he was my minute man and was clearly visible on the straight.  3

Gizmo_ [1333 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I use a rear on 'twinkle' (rather than on-off-on-off) all the time.

Not because I'm completely convinced it will make a difference, but in the event of an accident I don't want any shadow of doubt who was negligent.

colhum1 [86 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

I have one of those frog type lights attached to my helmet that I leave on blink.

Puts it nicely at eye level for drivers.

+1 for the blinking / strobe on the helmet....I've put a red one in one of the rear vents too..
Then my seat post one stays on constant  4

Gkam84 [9068 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Always have at least 1 rear light flashing, normally 2 and if I put my flag on, I have attached one to there, so 3

Then a 2000 lumen double front flashing mode during the day

OldnSlo [133 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

do it. if you doubt it ask a motorcyclist why their lights are always on.

millskid [44 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

That is a excellent point about tree cover and the changes in the shade.

I am after a new set of lights, any recommendations?

chrismday [44 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Yep, I do this too. Flashing front and rear.

0 likes

'do it. if you doubt it ask a motorcyclist why their lights are always on.
'

Indeed. Then ask them why their lights aren't on flash mode all the time.

cidermart [486 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

All the time 3 on the rear and 1 or 2 on the front.

Bedfordshire Clanger [344 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

In busy traffic I put my lights on flash. I find the front one gets attention when I'm on roundabouts or overtaking stationary or slow moving traffic.

stuke [335 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I do on the commute all year round, Hope District+ on the rear and Exposure Sirius at the front now that I don't need to light the road up to see where I'm going.

I don't bother at any other time though if visibility and conditions are good.

I've noticed I subconsiously turn the lights on on my car much earlier as well if conditions are a little overcast overriding the automatic setting on them

fatbeggaronabike [759 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I must agree with the comments about visibility and safety, but when going out on a club run, social or any group ride it's bloody annoying being directly behind a bright blinker.

cidermart [486 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
FATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:

I must agree with the comments about visibility and safety, but when going out on a club run, social or any group ride it's bloody annoying being directly behind a bright blinker.

Do your turn on the front then  3

paulfg42 [382 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I took advice to have a blinking light on at the rear all the time. A bit extra insurance, even in daylight.

ubercurmudgeon [169 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

It is amusing that there is currently one thread full of people saying they ride with lights on in broad daylight, presumably because they think motorists are too distracted to notice and take care not to injure their fellow human beings unless lit up like a Xmas tree, and another full of people saying they ride with headphones on. I couldn't be bothered to compare the names of those posting comments, to find out if anyone belongs to both groups, but if there are I hope they haven't procreated yet.

dave atkinson [6145 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
ubercurmudgeon wrote:

It is amusing that there is currently one thread full of people saying they ride with lights on in broad daylight, presumably because they think motorists are too distracted to notice and take care not to injure their fellow human beings unless lit up like a Xmas tree, and another full of people saying they ride with headphones on. I couldn't be bothered to compare the names of those posting comments, to find out if anyone belongs to both groups, but if there are I hope they haven't procreated yet.

it's not mutually exclusive to believe that using lights in the daytime affects your visibility to other drivers, and that using headphones doesn't detract from your own awareness of your surroundings. so far as i can see.

0 likes

What Dave said.

OldCog [7 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Not mutually exclusive perhaps, but surely a little odd to go to the lengths of using lights in broad daylight to maximise your own safety while wearing headphones and so compromising - however marginally - your own safety.

The cyclist that does both might give the impression s/he thinks road safety is the responsibility of others.

RuthF28 [99 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've started to ride with blinking lights in daylight now. As I've got USB rechargeables, there's no issue with carrying loads of spare batteries. I also drive with sidelights on too. You can't be too visible, no matter what your preferred mode of transport.

Yorkshie Whippet [501 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

As a driver I find some of the front lights being used dazzling and I fail to understand how blinding your fellow road users improves overall safety. Especially at night whilst the drivers eyes are adjusting back to night vision. Anyone else remember "Dip don't dazzle!"?

I also fail to understand why annoucing your "presence" half a mile down the road, up to 2 minutes away, improves overall safety. Do you honestly expect drivers to drive looking in the mirrors to see where you are and not look at the car, lights, road... in front of them.

As a cyclist I fully understand the use of lights at the back during the day. However, considering nearly all my accidents have been as the driver pulls up alongside, runs out of road and side swipes or decides that the cycle lane is part of the main carrigeway or junction, I very much doubt how much of difference lights in the day make.

How long will it be before cyclist are held accountable because the driver did not see a small flashy thing?

One last thought. Apparently the fitting of strobe lights on cars is illegal, but on pedal cycles it's perfectly acceptable!

0 likes

'Apparently the fitting of strobe lights on cars is illegal, but on pedal cycles it's perfectly acceptable!'

Stupid, isn't it?

drfabulous0 [409 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
ubercurmudgeon wrote:

Well that would be me, I use the lights in the day because I read this article and it costs me nothing if I charge them at work. I find headphones perfectly safe after many years of experience as I can still hear motor vehicles and tend to pay more attention. I also wear a helmet. All of these choices are made on my own judgement on the pros and cons. I feel it a little harsh that you would wish away my children based on your own judgemental claptrap, go back to reading the Daily Mail.

Arthur Scrimshaw [64 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

'do it. if you doubt it ask a motorcyclist why their lights are always on.
'

Indeed. Then ask them why their lights aren't on flash mode all the time.

I don't know any to ask, so could you explain please? I run my rear lights on flash day and night, is this not recommended?

PhilRuss [352 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

[[[[ Well, I've never been a daytime flasher...but while on the velo, if I see a dozy on an ipod or walkie-talkie up ahead, I wobble a bit from left to right----nice to see its startled face, its widening eyes, its sudden realisation that not all modes of transport approach noisily.
And the weavey-wobble appears to work on the driver emerging from that side road too....she thinks I'm gonna fall off, and she wants to see it, so she's not going anywhere! Mind you, I don't overdo it. Wouldn't want to look as incompetant as half the drivers on the streets of London these daze (sic).
No, I use flashing lights when it's dark, or even gloomy, and the rear light's attached to the outside of me right ankle with a Q/R strap, so it flashes....but also zooms up and down (seen from behind) and spins round and round (seen from the side). And for those up ahead who pretend not to have noticed me, there's a special treat sitting on me Cinelli 66's. It's the 140-decibel HORNIT. Toodle-oo.
P.R.

Comrade [202 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I drive neither a Volvo nor a motor bike, yet I leave my lights on all year round now, just because on a sunnyday (if we get them) there is some times a contrast in the shadows near a hedge or under trees.

Pages