Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 chain replacement?

Hi,

I have 105 chain and it is beginning to stretch. If I look online for 105 chains, there are multiple choices.

Does it matter, which one I get?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys!

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

thirded  1

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

KMC X10 are frequently cited as reliable 10-speed chains (same for X9-93 in 9 speed).

Don't lay the new chain beside the old one, you should always count the links.

cidermart replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
1 like
Simon E wrote:

KMC X10 are frequently cited as reliable 10-speed chains (same for X9-93 in 9 speed).

Don't lay the new chain beside the old one, you should always count the links.

Seconded on both accounts. Yes it takes longer but it's right.

crash144019 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Personal choice here but works for me cheapest SRAM chain I can find on e bay anf change it every 3 months

Benway | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wear not stretch

spongebob replied to Benway | 11 years ago
0 likes

Soz ben I've put it in quotation marks to indicate that the stretch is not a literal stretch.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh and when you trim your new chain lay out your two chains next to eachother like so:
|
||
||
||
And then trim the new chain to match the old chain -1 link to account for "stretchage" !

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are only two brands of chain I would ever buy again

SRAM or KMC

So whatever speed your chain is, just search google

For example, its a 9 speed. Then just put in 9 speed SRAM chain

falls offlots | 11 years ago
0 likes

SRAM chains are also shimano compatible and i've always found them excellent as an alternative to shimano, usually some good deals to be had online for one. As SammyG said just make sure you get the 10 speed or 9 speed specific one to suit your setup.

If your existing chain has stretched significantly you might find that it's worn the teeth on cassette / chainrings and when you fit a brand new chain it skips/jumps on the worn sprockets/rings. Depends whether you've caught the chain wear in time.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

The 5701 is to fit a double chainset only and has to be fitted in the correct direction. The 5600 will do a double or triple. You don't have to use a Shimano chain, you could use KMC which has the benefit of a reuseable magic link for easy fitting, removal and cleaning or any other Shimano compatible 10 speed chain. The 5600 is very durable according to the Tour Magazine group test at the end of 2011.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

If it's 10 speed get a 10 speed shimano compatible chain.

Chain Reaction have one cheapish (£13).

Latest Comments